The Night Before (song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"The Night Before"|
The Japanese single release of the song, backed with "Another Girl"
|Song by the Beatles|
|from the album Help!|
|Released||6 August 1965|
17 February 1965,|
EMI Studios, London
|Label||Parlophone, Capitol, EMI|
Composition and recording
Lennon plays a Hohner Pianet electric piano throughout the song, accompanied by McCartney's ascending and descending bass lines. The song's verse has a call and response structure. McCartney's lead vocal alternates with Lennon and George Harrison's harmony, singing the chorus "Ahhh, the night before …", the whole being alternated with a second melody.
The Beatles recorded the song at EMI's Abbey Road Studios on 17 February 1965. The band achieved a satisfactory rhythm track after two takes, and then overdubbed the vocals, lead guitar parts and maracas. The guitar solo over the third verse is repeated in part over the coda. Although author Ian MacDonald considers that the playing is more in McCartney's style, these solos were performed by Harrison and McCartney together. Lennon later recalled that Harrison and McCartney played "the same break exactly, both playing but in different octaves".
McCartney played the song on 15 July 2011 at Yankee Stadium, stating from the stage that it was the first time he had performed the song in concert. The only time the Beatles performed it outside of EMI Studios was for their final BBC radio session (The Beatles Invite You to Take a Ticket To Ride), on 26 May 1965. This performance was broadcast on the BBC Light Programme on 7 June that year.
- Paul McCartney – double-tracked lead vocals, bass, lead guitar
- John Lennon – electric piano, harmony vocals
- George Harrison – lead guitar, harmony vocals
- Ringo Starr – drums
- Restless Heart released a cover version on their 2004 album Still Restless.
- Bulgarian pop star Lili Ivanova sang a cover version in the 1960s.
- "The Night Before review". Allmusic.com.
- Lewisohn 2005, p. 54.
- Winn 2008, p. 298.
- MacDonald 2005, p. 147.
- O'Toole, Kit (14 March 2014). "Deep Beatles: 'The Night Before' from Help (1965)". Something New!. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Everett 2001, p. 286.
- "49 - 'The Night Before'". 100 Greatest Beatles Songs. Rolling Stone. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Mapes, J. (18 July 2011). "Paul McCartney at Yankee Stadium: 'Derek Jeter's Got More Hits Than Me'". Billboard magazine. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Everett, Walter (2001). The Beatles as Musicians: The Quarry Men through Rubber Soul. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-514105-9.
- Lewisohn, Mark (2005) . The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962–1970. London: Bounty Books. ISBN 978-0-7537-2545-0.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties (Second Revised ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). ISBN 1-84413-828-3.
- Winn, John C. (2008). Way Beyond Compare: The Beatles' Recorded Legacy, Volume One, 1962–1965. New York, NY: Three Rivers Press. ISBN 978-0-3074-5239-9.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Help! (album)|