The Night Has a Thousand Eyes (song)
|"The Night Has a Thousand Eyes"|
|Single by Bobby Vee|
|from the album The Night Has a Thousand Eyes|
|B-side||"Anonymous Phone Call"|
|Songwriter(s)||Benjamin Weisman, Dorothy Wayne, Marilyn Garrett|
|Bobby Vee singles chronology|
"The Night Has a Thousand Eyes" is a song written by Benjamin Weisman, Dorothy Wayne, and Marilyn Garrett. It became a popular hit in 1962 for Bobby Vee. The song has had several cover versions over the years.
Bobby Vee version
The song was first recorded by American pop music singer Bobby Vee. Released as a single in late 1962, it spent 14 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, reaching number 3, while reaching number 2 on Billboard's Middle-Road Singles chart, and number 8 on Billboard's Hot R&B Singles chart. It also spent 12 weeks on the UK's Record Retailer chart, reaching number 3 on March 6, 1963. The song was included on his 1963 Liberty Records album, The Night Has a Thousand Eyes. Vee also recorded a Scopitone promotional video for the song.
- In 1963, a cover version was issued in the UK by Jimmy Justice.
- The Angels released a version on their 1963 studio album My Boyfriend's Back.
- In 1965, Gary Lewis & the Playboys did a cover version on their first album This Diamond Ring, which can also be heard on their album Complete Hits.
- In 1973, The Carpenters did a cover version, which can be heard on Now & Then.
- The song was covered in 1982 by glam rock band Mud for their album Mud featuring Les Gray.
- A version of the song with a slower tempo is heard in the 1998 film Dark City, sung by Anita Kelsey. In the Director's Cut version of the film the song is sung by Jennifer Connelly.
- "Phonograph Recording Contract" (PDF). The Wrecking Crew. American Federation of Musicians. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- The Night Has a Thousand Eyes - AllMusic Review by Bruce Eder, AllMusic. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- Bobby Vee - Chart History - The Hot 100, Billboard.com. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Bobby Vee - Chart History - Adult Contemporary, Billboard.com. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- "Middle-Road Singles", Billboard, January 12, 1963. p. 35. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Bobby Vee - Chart History - Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, Billboard.com. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- "Hot R&B Singles", Billboard, January 19, 1963. p. 16. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- Bobby Vee - Full Official Chart History, The Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 6, 2016.
- "Cover Versions of The Night Has a Thousand Eyes". SecondHandSongs. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Scopitones by artist: V to Z. "Bobby Vee "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" (S-1021)" ; U.S. Scopitones: Guys and Gals, 'S-1021 Bobby Vee "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes"'
- "Billboard Hits of the World", Billboard, February 23, 1963. p. 22. Retrieved November 22, 2016.
- "Lever Hit Parade" 07-Mar-1963, Flavour of New Zealand. Retrieved November 22, 2016.
- "Cash Box Top 100 Singles". Tropical Glen. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Top 100 Songs of 1963". Music Outfitters. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "The Cash Box Year-End Charts: 1963". Tropical Glen. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- This Diamond Ring at Discogs
- on YouTube