The Nightingale (2018 film)
|Directed by||Jennifer Kent|
|Screenplay by||Jennifer Kent|
|Edited by||Simon Njoo|
|Distributed by||Transmission Films|
The Nightingale is a 2018 Australian period thriller film written and directed by Jennifer Kent. Set in 1825 in the British penal colony of Van Diemen's Land (now the Australian state of Tasmania), the film follows a young convict woman seeking revenge for a terrible act of violence committed against her family. It began filming in March 2017. The film was selected to be screened in the main competition section of the 75th Venice International Film Festival.
Set in 1825, Clare, a young Irish convict woman (Aisling Franciosi), chases a British officer (Sam Claflin) through the rugged Tasmanian wilderness, bent on revenge for a terrible act of violence he committed against her family. On the way she enlists the services of an Aboriginal tracker named Billy (Baykali Ganambarr), who is also marked by trauma from his own violence-filled past.
- Aisling Franciosi as Clare
- Baykali Ganambarr as Billy
- Sam Claflin as Hawkins
- Damon Herriman as Ruse
- Ewen Leslie as Goodwin
- Harry Greenwood as Jago
- Michael Sheasby as Aidan
- Luke Carroll as Archie
- Charlie Shotwell as Eddie
According to The Sydney Morning Herald, director Jennifer Kent was "deluged" with film scripts from the United States after the success of her debut film, The Babadook (2014), but decided to focus on writing and directing The Nightingale. IndieWire reported that shooting for The Nightingale began on location in Tasmania in March 2017.
- McNary, Dave (14 March 2017). "Sam Claflin Thriller 'The Nightingale' Backed by Bron Creative", Variety. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "The Nightingale". Venice International Film Festival. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Venice to Kick Off Awards Season With New Films From Coen Brothers, Luca Guadagnino and Alfonso Cuaron". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "Venice Film Festival Lineup: Heavy on Award Hopefuls, Netflix and Star Power". Variety. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- Maddox, Garry (22 March 2017). "Game of Thrones' Aisling Franciosi to star in Jennifer Kent's The Nightingale ", The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Nordine, Michael (14 March 2017). "'The Nightingale': Jennifer Kent Begins Production on Her Follow-up to 'The Babadook'", IndieWire. Retrieved 30 March 2017.