The Northern Light (college newspaper)
The Northern Light is the student newspaper at the University of Alaska Anchorage. The Northern Light began in September 1988, after the University of Alaska Anchorage and Anchorage Community College merged. The paper is completely produced by students.
The Northern Light has a circulation of 5,000 copies a week during school semesters, making it the third largest weekly in Anchorage. It is financed by student fees and advertising. Every Tuesday, The Northern Light is delivered to stands around campus and Anchorage. It is also mailed to businesses and politicians in Alaska, as well as any public member who requests a copy. The paper consists of five sections: News, Features, Opinion, Arts & Entertainment, and Sports.
The current Executive Editor is Kelly Ireland. The current Managing Editor is Samantha Davenport
- The Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker in 2011 and 2009 in the non-daily, four year category for general excellence. The Northern Light was also nominated for a Pacemaker in 2000 and 2007
- The website www.thenorthernlight.org was an Associated Collegiate Press Online Pacemaker finalist in 2012.
- 3rd in ACP Best of Show, 2011.
- 2nd best weekly newspaper in Alaska by the Alaska Press Club, 2005.
The Northern Light's staff consists of college students of all majors and backgrounds. All open positions are listed on UAkJobs.
- Executive Editor
- Managing Editor
- Advertising Manager
- Copy Editor
- Layout Editor
- News Editor
- Assistant News Editor
- Features Editor
- Assistant Features Editor
- Arts & Entertainment Editor
- Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor
- Sports Editor
- Assistant Sports Editor
- Photo Editor
- Web Editor
- Multimedia Editor
- Graphic Designer
- Advertising Representative
- Staff Reporters
- Staff Photographers
- Ashley Snyder (2013–14)
- J. Almendarez (2012–13)
- Shana Roberson (2011)
- Jerzy Shedlock (2011)
- Josh Edge (2010)
- Suzanna Caldwell (2009)
- Gretchen Weiss (2008–09)
- Tulsi Patil (2014)
- Ashley Snyder (2013)
- J. Almendarez (2012)
- Taylor Hall (2011)
- Matt Caprioli (2011)
- Jerzy Shedlock (2010)
Anyone with a willingness to do a little work and stay on top of deadlines is encouraged to apply as a volunteer. The requirements for volunteering are as follows:
- Be enrolled at UAA with no less than 3 credits per semester.
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with UAA.
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 or higher.
Volunteer positions include:
- Story writers
- Graphic designers
- "Highest Circulation Alaska Newspapers". Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Parting shots". Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "About - The Northern Light". Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- Northern Light Wins Pacemaker http://jpc.uaa.alaska.edu/?p=22 "UAA's Northern Light Wins National Award" Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Alaska Press Club:"2005 Media Awards." Retrieved March 21, 2007.