The Northern Star
The front cover of the Northern Star on 13 May 1876
|Owner(s)||APN News & Media|
|Headquarters|| Lismore, New South Wales, Australia
Media Centre, Ballina Road
Goonellabah NSW 2480
The Northern Star is circulated to Lismore and surrounding communities, from Billinudgel to the north, to Kyogle and Casino to the west and Evans Head to the south and includes the seaside towns of Byron Bay and Ballina.
The two-page first issue of The Northern Star was brought out on 13 May 1876, on the tiny Albion hand press that today holds pride of place in the foyer of the Goonellabah Media Centre. In 1955, building started on the media centre in Goonellabah, and in 1957, the move was made from the Molesworth St office.
In 1981, The Northern Star commissioned a 7unit Goss Urbanite Web Offset press capable of printing 20,000 fifty-six page copies – 1.12 million pages an hour.
In 2004, the press was upgraded to twelve units with six Enkel auto reel stands, increasing the capability to 3.2 million pages an hour or 53,333 pages a minute. Colour capacity also increased from 16 to 48 pages of processed colour in one pass.
- Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC). Average Net Paid Sales for October–December 2008 (metro and larger regional titles)/January–June 2008 (other regional titles).
The Northern Star also publishes The Byron Shire News, The North Coast Advocate, The Richmond River Express Examiner, The River Town Times and The Farmer Bulletin.
In addition, The Northern Star runs a commercial printing business.
- About us, The Northern Star. Accessed 21 March 2009.
- "Trove digitised newspapers and more". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "Newspaper Digitisation Program". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Brown, Jerelynn (2011). "Tabloids in the State Library of NSW collection: A reflection of life in Australia". Australian Journal of Communication 38 (2): 107–121.
- The Northern Star (website)
- Northern Star (Lismore, NSW : 1876 - 1954) at Trove Digitised newspapers and more