From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from The Nursery (song cycle))
For other uses, see Nursery.
|Series 1, No. 1||С няней||With Nanny||1868-04-26||Aleksandr Dargomyzhsky||1872||Bessel|
|Series 1, No. 2||В углу||In the Corner||1870-09-30||Viktor Gartman||1872||Bessel|
|Series 1, No. 3||Жук||The Beetle||1870-10-18||Vladimir Stasov||1872||Bessel|
|Series 1, No. 4||С куклой||With the Doll||1870-12-18||Tanyushka and Goga Musorgsky||1872||Bessel|
|Series 1, No. 5||На сон грядущий||At Bedtime||1870-12-18||Sasha Cui||1872||Bessel|
|Series 2, No. 1||Поехал на палочке||Ride on a Hobby Horse||1872-09-14||1882||Bessel|
|Series 2, No. 2||Кот Матрос||The Cat 'Sailor'||1872-08-15||1882||Bessel|
|Series 2, No. 3||Сон||Dream||–||–||–||–||Projected or not written down|
|Series 2, No. 4||[Unknown]||[Unknown]||–||–||–||–||Projected or not written down|
Series 1: The Nursery
- 1. With Nanny (B-flat major)
- A child begs the nurse to tell a story, first about the awful bogey-man who carries naughty children into the forest and devours them, and later about a fairy-tale Tsar and Tsaritsa who live in a rich palace by the sea.
- 2. In the Corner (F major)
- The nurse berates Mishenka for spoiling her knitting and sends him to the corner.
- 3. The Beetle (F major)
- A child relates to the nurse an encounter with a large beetle.
- 4. With the Doll (A-flat major)
- A child sings a lullaby to her doll.
- 5. At Bedtime (A-flat major)
- A child recites his prayers.
Series 2: At the Dacha
- 1. Ride on a Hobby Horse (D-flat major)
- A child relating his imaginary journey to Yukki on a stick (hobby horse) falls, injures himself, and resumes his journey.
- 2. The Cat 'Sailor' (A major)
- A child foils the attempt by Matros ("Sailor") the cat to catch the family canary.
- 3. Dream
- A child's fantastic dream
- 4. [Unknown title]
- A quarrel between two children
- Calvocoressi, M.D., Abraham, G., Mussorgsky, 'Master Musicians' Series, London: J.M.Dent & Sons, Ltd., 1974
- Calvocoressi, M.D., Modest Mussorgsky: His Life and Works, London: Rockliff, 1956
- Orlova, A., Mussorgsky Remembered, translated by Zaytsev, V. and Morrison, F., Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1991
- Unknown compiler, notes to Moussorgsky: Integrale des Melodies CD recording by Boris Christoff, EMI Records Ltd, 1989
|This article about a classical composition is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|