The Nylon Curtain
|The Nylon Curtain|
|Studio album by Billy Joel|
|Released||September 23, 1982|
|Recorded||Spring, 1982, A & R Recording and Media Sound Studios, New York City|
|Genre||Rock, baroque pop, new wave|
|Billy Joel chronology|
|Singles from The Nylon Curtain|
The Nylon Curtain peaked at number seven in the Billboard album charts, with two million sales in the United States. It was one of the first albums to be digitally recorded, mixed, and mastered.
The album is among Joel's most ambitious albums, and Joel has openly acknowledged that it's one of his personal favorites, calling it "the recording I'm most proud of and the material I'm most proud of." When he recorded the album, he said in an interview that he wanted to "create a sonic masterpiece." So he spent more time in the studio, crafting the sound of the album, than he had on any previous album. He said that the process of making the album was "exhausting." Critics have interpreted the album to be, in part, an homage to the music of The Beatles and John Lennon.
Regarding the album's themes, Joel has stated "It was during the Reagan years, and the diminishing horizons in America at the time [meant that] all of a sudden you weren't going to be able to inherit [the kind of life] your old man had." This pessimism about the American dream, in Joel's view, permeates most of the songs on the album.
All songs written and composed by Billy Joel.
- Side one
- Side two
- "She's Right on Time" – 4:14
- "A Room of Our Own" – 4:04
- "Surprises" – 3:26
- "Scandinavian Skies" – 6:00
- "Where's the Orchestra?" – 3:17
- Billy Joel – vocals, acoustic & electric pianos, synthesizers, Hammond organ, melodica, Prophet-5 synthesizer, Synclavier II on "Pressure"
- Liberty DeVitto – drums, percussion
- Doug Stegmeyer – bass guitar
- David Brown – electric & acoustic guitars (lead)
- Russell Javors – electric & acoustic guitars (rhythm)
- Dominic Cortese – accordion on "Where's the Orchestra?"
- Eddie Daniels – saxophone and clarinet on "Where's the Orchestra?"
- Dave Grusin – string and horn arrangements
- Charles McCracken – cello on "Where's the Orchestra?"
- Rob Mounsey – synthesizer on "Scandinavian Skies"
- David Nadien – concertmaster on all except "Laura" and "Scandinavian Skies"
- "String Fever" – strings on "Laura" and "Scandinavian Skies"
- Bill Zampino – field snare on "Goodnight Saigon"
- Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, NYC - mastering engineer
|Year||Recipient / Nominated work||Award||Result|
|1983||The Nylon Curtain||Album of the Year||Nominated|
Certifications and sales
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||100,000^|
|Japan (Oricon Charts)||356,000|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Holden, Stephen (1982-10-14), "Music Reviews : The Nylon Curtain by Billy Joel", Rolling Stone, archived from the original on 17 August 2011
- "Picks and Pans Review: The Nylon Curtain". People. 1982-11-22. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- Billy Joel Interview on Nylon Curtain
- Nylon Curtain Album Review
- "Rock On The Net: 25th Annual Grammy Awards – 1987". Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain – austriancharts.at" (in German). Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2012-03-05
- "dutchcharts.nl Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain". dutchcharts.nl (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- a-ビリー・ジョエル "Yamachan Land (Japanese Chart Archives) – Albums Chart Daijiten – Simon and Garfunkel" Check
|url=scheme (help) (in Japanese). Original Confidence. 30 December 2007. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "charts.org.nz – Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "norwegiancharts.com Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain". Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "swedishcharts.com Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain". Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "Chart Stats – Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- Allmusic – The Nylon Curtain > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums
- "Album Search: Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Top 100 Albums '82". RPM. 25 December 1982. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- 1982年アルバム年間ヒットチャート "Japanese Year-End Albums Chart 1982" Check
|url=scheme (help) (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1983". RPM. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- http://dutchcharts.nl/jaaroverzichten.asp?year=1983&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-29. Missing or empty
- "日本で売れた洋楽アルバムトップ10 (Top-ten international albums on the Japanese Oricon Year-End Charts 1987". Archived from the original on June 5, 2010. Retrieved June 4, 2008.
- "Top Pop Albums of 1983". billboard.biz. 31 December 1983. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1986 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian album certifications – Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain". Music Canada.
- Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970–2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4-87131-077-9.
- "Dutch album certifications – Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers.
- "American album certifications – Billy Joel – The Nylon Curtain". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
De openbaring by Freek de Jonge
|Dutch Mega Chart number-one album
January 29 – February 12, 1982
The Kids from "Fame" by The Kids from "Fame"