The Oaks Mall
Aerial view of the mall in 2010
|Address||6419 W. Newberry Road|
|Opening date||February 1978|
|Developer||Alan Squiterri & David Hocker|
|Management||Brookfield Properties Retail Group|
|Owner||Brookfield Properties Retail Group (51%), Ivanhoe Cambridge (49%)|
|No. of stores and services||119|
|No. of anchor tenants||5 (4 open, 1 vacant)|
|Total retail floor area||906,104 sq ft (84,179.8 m2)|
|No. of floors||1 (2 in Belk and both Dillard's locations)|
The Oaks Mall is an enclosed shopping center in Gainesville, Florida.
The mall interior is one floor, but Belk and both Dillard's stores have two floors.
The mall serves an extremely large trade area stretching into 11 counties with a population growth rate nearly double the national average. The center also benefits from its close proximity to over 64,000 students attending the nearby University of Florida and Santa Fe College. In 2017, mall occupancy was at 96%. Improvements continue to be made, including the installation of roof-top solar panels, and LED lighting fixtures.
The mall was announced in 1974 with JCPenney and Belk-Lindsey (both are still there today) being the first major tenants to lease space.
On January 4, 2018, Macy's announced it would be closing its location at the mall as part of a plan to close 11 stores nationwide. A liquidation sale began on January 8 and lasted until March 2018. Dillard's announced plans to expand into the former Macy's space while retaining its existing anchor location (former Ivey's) at the mall in order to offer a wider range of merchandise with plans to open in November 2018.
On April 20, 2018, it was announced that Sears will close its store as part of a plan to close 42 stores nationwide. The store closed in July 2018.
- "The Oaks Mall". Brookfield Properties Retail Group.
- Smithson, Daniel (August 13, 2017). "Oaks Mall weathers broad trends". Gainesville Sun.
- "Belk-Lindsey and JC Penny Relocated First". Gainesville Sun. August 1, 1984.
- "Oaks Phase Three is Completed; Another Store is Planned". Gainesville Sun. August 1, 1984.
- "Macy's store at Oaks Mall will be closing". WCJB-TV. January 4, 2018.
- Tinker, Cleveland (January 12, 2018). "Dillard's to buy larger space, double its size". Gainesville Sun.
- "Sears in Gainesville closing their doors at Oaks Mall". WCJB-TV. April 23, 2018.
- Smithson, Daniel; Strange, Deborah (June 7, 2018). "Two UF Health offices may move into Sears". Gainesville Sun.
- "UF Health Facilities Moving Into The Oaks Mall". WCJB-TV. June 8, 2018.