|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2009)|
|Also known as||Warhorse (1976-1977)|
|Origin||Potomac, Maryland, United States|
|Genres||Doom metal, heavy metal|
|Years active||1976–1986, 1990–1995, 2011–present|
|Labels||Hellhound, Columbia, Southern Lord, MeteorCity, Tolotta|
|Associated acts||Spirit Caravan, Saint Vitus, The Hidden Hand, Goatsnake, Kyuss, The Melvins, Acid King|
|Members||Scott "Wino" Weinrich
|Past members||John Reese
The Obsessed is a doom metal band from Maryland led by Scott "Wino" Weinrich, who also fronted Saint Vitus, Spirit Caravan, Place of Skulls, The Hidden Hand and W.I.N.O.. Formed in 1976, they first split up in 1986 when Wino joined Saint Vitus, but reformed four years later. After releasing three albums (including the one that was originally recorded in 1985), The Obsessed broke up for a second time in 1995. However, they announced another reunion in September 2011.
Early career (1976–1985)
The band formed originally under the name Warhorse in 1976 in Potomac, Maryland, led by Wino. In the late 1970s they became known as The Obsessed. Later on the group moved into a band house in Rockville, Maryland where some of their most creative and hardest music was written. Before this move, however, original guitar player John Reese departed from the band. The band became a trio and remained that way until the early eighties (i.e., 1982) when Vance Bockis and later Norman Lawson joined the band. During this time they released the Sodden Jackal EP (Spring 1983) and had one track ("Concrete Cancer") featured on Metal Blade's Metal Massacre VI. The Obsessed also managed to record their debut album in 1985 for Metal Blade, but it never officially surfaced.
Splits, first reunion and aftermath (1986–2010)
The band broke up in the late 80s and Wino went west to California to join up with Saint Vitus. Wino recorded three albums, an EP, and a live album with Saint Vitus. Hellhound Records (Vitus's then current label) released The Obsessed, an album that The Obsessed had recorded in 1985, which prompted Wino to leave Vitus and reform The Obsessed with a new rhythm section consisting of Scott Reeder and Greg Rogers. The band was quickly signed to Hellhound Records and soon released Lunar Womb. Scott Reeder later left to join Kyuss, whereupon he was replaced by Guy Pinhas. Columbia Records signed them for their third and final album, The Church Within (1994, see 1994 in music), which received rave reviews. Despite a large amount of promotion on behalf of Columbia Records (including a 25-minute documentary on the history of The Obsessed), the album did not sell as well as expected. After the demise of The Obsessed, Wino went on to form Spirit Caravan and more projects before reuniting with Saint Vitus in 2003 (and again in 2008), while The Obsessed's rhythm section became the basis for Goatsnake.
Second reunion (2011–2013)
In September 2011, the Roadburn Festival announced that The Church Within lineup (featuring Wino, Greg Rogers and Guy Pinhas) would be reuniting to play their next edition on April 14, 2012. The band later confirmed they would be performing at the Hellfest Open Air 2012. The band will perform yet another reunion show at Maryland Deathfest XI in May 2013.
TKO Records re-released the self-titled 7" on November 23, 2012.
- Demo 1980
- Demo 1982
- Promo Demo 1985
- The Obsessed (Hellhound Records 1990)
- Lunar Womb (Hellhound Records 1991)
- The Church Within (Hellhound Records/Columbia Records 1994)
- Sodden Jackal 7" (Invictus Records 1983)
- "Streetside" 7"/CD (Columbia Records 1994)
- "To Protect and To Serve" 7"/CD (Columbia Records 1994)
- Altamont Nation 7" (Bong Load Records 1995)
- Instrumental 7" (Doom Records 1996)
- Sodden Jackal 7" (with different mixes) (Doom Records 1996)
- split 7" with Mystick Krewe of Clearlight (both sides Lynyrd Skynyrd covers) (2001 Southern Lord Records)
- Sodden Jackal 7" (TKO Records 2012)
- History of The Obsessed (Doom Records 1997)
- Live at the Wax Museum (Doom Records 1997)
- Incarnate (Southern Lord Records 1999)
- The Obsessed reissue w/live '84 CD (Tolotta Records 2000)
- History of The Obsessed Volume II (Doom Records 2002)
- Lunar Womb Reissue (MeteorCity Records 2006)
- The Church Within Reissue (Real Gone Music 2013)