The Odyssey Bookshop
|Founded||South Hadley, Massachusetts (1963)|
|Romeo Grenier (Founder) |
The Odyssey Bookshop is an independent bookstore in South Hadley, Massachusetts. In addition to an extensive trade book selection, The Odyssey is the exclusive provider of textbooks for Mount Holyoke College and hosts author readings and book club events.
It was founded by Romeo Grenier, who was trained as a pharmacist. In 1957, he bought and managed Glesmann’s Pharmacy, which was located across the street from Mount Holyoke College. The pharmacy, however, began to reflect Grenier's interest in literature as it became a gathering place for author readings and book club events. In 1963, the pharmacy was converted into The Odyssey Bookshop, managed and run by Grenier. During the 1980s, The Odyssey was damaged by two fires but in 1991, the ownership of the business passed to Romeo’s daughter, Joan Grenier, who oversaw the re-location of the shop to its present location as the anchor store of the Village Commons. In 1998, Neil Novik joined the business as co-owner.
Mount Holyoke College
Starting in 2001, The Odyssey became the provider of all textbooks for Mount Holyoke College classes, and in 2003 began providing art supplies for the college's art classes. In 2017, The Odyssey replaced the college's campus store as the official supplier of Mount Holyoke-branded spirit apparel and other items.
- "Our History | The Odyssey Bookshop". www.odysseybks.com. Retrieved 2018-03-20.
- Mummert, Roger (2007-11-16). "In the Valley of the Literate". New York Times. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- Skrak, Madeline (2017-03-30). "Campus store to be replaced with Student Life Hub". Mount Holyoke News. Retrieved 2018-03-20.
- Official store website
- Official store blog
- Photographs of the Odyssey
- "Public Radio Station Hosts Roundtable of Independent Booksellers"
|This United States retail business article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|