The Odyssey Of Funk & Popular Music (also referred to as Vol. 1) is an album by Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy recorded for the Atlantic label in 1997. It is the eighth and final album by Bowie's Brass Fantasy group and features performances by Bowie, Vincent Chancey, Gary Valente, Joshua Roseman, Louis Bonilla, Ravi Best, Gerald Brezel, Joseph Gollehon, Bob Stewart, Victor See Yuen and Vinnie Johnson.
The Allmusic review by Richard S. Ginell states "At the very least, the brasses sound fresh and interested in what they're doing, so there is pleasure to be had here".
- "Birth of the Blues" (Lew Brown, Buddy DeSylva, Ray Henderson) - 5:49
- "Next" (Joseph Bowie, Sebastian Piekarek) - 6:05
- "Two Become One" (Matt Rowebottom, Richard Stannard, Spice Girls) - 6:08
- "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" (Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice) - 9:09
- "Beautiful People" (Marilyn Manson, Twiggy Ramirez) - 6:57
- "In the Still of the Night" (Fred Parris) - 4:43
- "Notorious Thugs" (Sean Combs, Anthony Henderson, Steven Howse, Steve Jordan, Bryon McCane, Christopher Wallace) - 5:30
- "Nessum Dorma" (Giacomo Puccini) - 6:49
- "If You Don't Know Me by Now" (Harold Melvin, Teddy Pendergrass) - 4:20
- Recorded on 27 September - 4 October 1997 at Systems Two Studio, Brooklyn, NY