The Old Garden
|The Old Garden|
|Revised Romanization||Oraedoen jeongwon|
|Directed by||Im Sang-soo|
|Produced by||Park Jong
|Written by||Im Sang-soo|
|Based on||The Old Garden
by Hwang Sok-yong
|Music by||Kim Hong-jib|
|Edited by||Lee Eun-soo|
|Distributed by||Cineclick Asia|
The Old Garden (Hangul: 오래된 정원) is a 2006 South Korean film, based on the best-selling novel of the same name by the author Hwang Sok-yong. It was written and directed by Im Sang-soo and starred Ji Jin-hee, Yum Jung-ah, and Youn Yuh-jung.
Hyun-woo (Ji Jin-hee) is released from prison after spending 17 years behind bars. During his college days he was involved in the student-led anti-government protests that swept across Korea in the early 1980s. Now that he is finally free, Hyun-woo travels back to the town where he spent a few precious months immediately prior to his arrest.
Seventeen years ago, Hyun-woo fled into the rural area of Korea, hiding from the government that was trying to quash his anti-government group. He found sanctuary in the home of Han Yun-hee (Yum Jung-ah). She was a former sympathizer to the anti-government cause, but now living a modest life as a teacher in a small rural community. The couple quickly became intimate, Hyun-woo able to provide the spark that was missing from Yun-hee's simple life.
Unfortunately, while Hyun-woo was still hiding in Yun-hee's home, he learned that most of his fellow anti-government protesters were captured and imprisoned. Even though the government now has Hyun-woo high on their wanted list, he feels ashamed that he is living peacefully, while his friends are imprisoned. Thus, he makes the difficult decision to leave Yun-hee and go back to the movement centered in Seoul. What he would later learn is that he left behind the sole person that would stay faithful to him throughout his 17-year imprisonment and also the woman that was carrying his baby.
Awards and nominations
- Best Actress - Yum Jung-ah
- Nomination – Best Screenplay - Im Sang-soo
- Nomination – Best Editing - Lee Eun-soo
- "Orae-doen jeongwon (The Old Garden) (2007)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- D'Sa, Nigel (29 August 2006). "World Premier of IM's The Old Garden at San Sebastian". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
- D'Sa, Nigel (28 December 2006). "IM's The Old Garden Opens January". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
- "Chinese Fans of Ji Jin-hee Descend on Korea". KBS Global. 8 January 2007. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
- "The Old Garden - Awards". Cinemasie. Retrieved 2014-11-25.