The Old Mill
|The Old Mill|
Poster for The Old Mill
|Directed by||Wilfred Jackson|
|Produced by||Walt Disney|
|Music by||Leigh Harline|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
The Old Mill is a 1937 Silly Symphonies cartoon produced by Walt Disney Productions, directed by Wilfred Jackson, scored by Leigh Harline, and released theatrically to theatres by RKO Radio Pictures on November 5, 1937. The film depicts the natural community of animals populating an old abandoned windmill in the country, and how they deal with a severe summer thunderstorm that nearly destroys their habitat. It incorporates the song "One Day When We Were Young" from Johann Strauss II's operetta The Gypsy Baron.
The Old Mill was the first Silly Symphony cartoon to be released by RKO and was added a new Silly Symphony logo, some new titles, and a burlap background which was used for other several Disney theatrical cartoon series like Donald Duck, Goofy, Mickey Mouse, and Pluto the Pup.
This Silly Symphonies cartoon was re-issued to theatres by Buena Vista Distribution.
Like many of the later Silly Symphony shorts, The Old Mill was a testing ground for advanced animation techniques. Marking the first use of Disney's multiplane camera, the film also incorporates realistic depictions of animal behavior, complex lighting and color effects, depictions of wind, rain, lightning, ripples, splashes and reflections, three-dimensional rotation of detailed objects, and the use of timing to produce specific dramatic and emotional effects. All of the lessons learned from making The Old Mill would subsequently be incorporated into Disney's feature-length animated films, such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), which was released a month later, as well as Pinocchio (1940), Fantasia (1940) and Bambi (1942).
Awards and accolades
The Old Mill won the 1937 Academy Award for Best Short Subjects: Cartoons. It was included as #14 in the book The 50 Greatest Cartoons As Selected by 1,000 Animation Professionals.
Disney California Adventure
The three mills from the short were seen in miniature on the Storybook Land Canal Boats ride at Disneyland. Beginning December 20, 2014, they were replaced by landmarks from Disney's 2013 3D computer-animated musical film Frozen. The miniature windmills were put into storage by Walt Disney Imagineering.
The Old Mill was parodied in The Simpsons episode "Bart Has Two Mommies", where Homer tries to win a rubber duck race by making his rubber duck cross the finish line first. The duck however floats to an abandoned windmill very similar to the one in the Disney short, with a sign declaring: "The Old Mill." The scene where the duck is nearly squashed by the water wheel is a direct reference to the most famous scene of The Old Mill. Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse B" is heard in the scene where Homer protected the duck from the water wheel.
- Bird chirps: Louise Myers And Elvia Allman
- Crickets: Jean MacMurray And Purv Pullen
- Frogs: Clarence Nash
- Quartet: Jerry Phillips, Elvia Allman, Marie Arbuckle, Marta Nielsen, Barbara Whitson
The Old Mill was released on Laserdisc as part of Academy Award Review of Walt Disney Cartoons in 1985, and in the Walt Disney Treasures line of Silly Symphonies Vol. 1. It was also released on Blu-ray on March 1, 2011, on the Bambi Diamond Edition Blu-ray as a special feature. Also available at iTunes Store and for streaming on Disney+.
- Merritt, Russell; Kaufman, J. B. (2016). Walt Disney's Silly Symphonies: A Companion to the Classic Cartoon Series (2nd ed.). Glendale, CA: Disney Editions. pp. 192–195. ISBN 978-1-4847-5132-9.
- Thomas, Bob. Walt Disney: An American Original. Simon & Schuster, 1976, p. 134.
- Mike Barnes (December 16, 2015). "'Ghostbusters,' 'Top Gun,' 'Shawshank' Enter National Film Registry". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 16, 2015.
- The Old Mill on IMDb
- Beck, Jerry (1994). The 50 Greatest Cartoons: As Selected by 1,000 Animation Professionals. Turner Publishing. ISBN 978-1878685490.
- Slater, Shawn (December 5, 2014). "New 'Frozen Fun' Opens at Disneyland Resort January 7". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- "Disneyland Paris - The Old Mill". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- yourdisneylandparis.co.uk - Snacks
- Calonge, Juan (December 10, 2010). "Bambi Diamond Edition Blu-ray Detailed". Blu-ray.com. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- Collin, Robbie (2 August 2013). "Studio Ghibli: Japan's dream factory". The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved 22 November 2014.