|Owner(s)||The McClatchy Company|
|Headquarters||522 Franklin St. S.E.|
Olympia, WA 98501
27,758 Sunday 
The Olympian started in 1860 as The Washington Standard, a weekly paper. It was founded by John Miller Murphy, and its first issue was released on November 17, 1860. The paper became The Daily Olympian in February 1889 when it began publishing daily. Many people in Olympia still refer to The Olympian by its former name, or as "The Daily O."
The Daily Olympian and another Olympia newspaper, The Daily Recorder, merged in 1928. The Daily Olympian moved from its original home, on Legion Way and Washington Street, to the Capitol Press Building at the corner of Capitol Way and State Avenue.
The Gannett Company purchased The Daily Olympian in 1971 and shortened its name to The Olympian in 1982. The Olympian moved to its current location at 111 Bethel Street in 1972.
In September 2005, The Olympian was traded by Gannett Company, Inc., along with the Bellingham and Boise newspapers, to Knight Ridder in exchange for the Tallahassee Democrat.
The Olympian now shares much of its operations—including printing—with The News Tribune, a McClatchy newspaper located in Tacoma. However, the newspaper's editor and reporters still work out of the Olympia office on Bethel Street.
In June 2017, The Olympian announced that it would move to an office in downtown Olympia, on the corner of Legion Way and Franklin Street. The building on Bethel Street will soon be occupied by the Olympia School District.
- "The McClatchy Company Newspapers: The Olympian". The McClatchy Company. Retrieved 8 January 2007.
- Katz, William A. (March 1963). "The Columbian: Washington Territory's First Newspaper". Oregon Historical Quarterly. 64 (1): 33–40. JSTOR 20612722.
- Dougherty, Phil (September 2, 2017). "The Columbian, Washington's first newspaper, is published in Olympia on September 11, 1852". HistoryLink. Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- Himes, George H. (August 11, 1912). "John Miller Murphy Closes Long Career". The Sunday Oregonian. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- "About Us". The Olympian.
- Demarest, Dusti. "Executive Editor". The Olympian. Retrieved June 10, 2017.