The One (Toronto)
|Type||Office, retail, residential|
|Address||1 Bloor Street West|
|Town or city||Toronto|
|Construction started||August 23, 2017|
|Estimated completion||2022 or 2023|
|Height||309 metres (1,014 ft)|
|Lifts/elevators||Soon to be announced|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Foster and Partners, Core Architects|
The One is a supertall skyscraper currently under construction in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. When completed, it will be the tallest building in Canada. At 309 metres (1,014 feet)  and 85 storeys, it will be taller than First Canadian Place, which has been Canada's tallest building since 1976. It will also be Canada’s first supertall (300+ m) skyscraper, as defined by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. The construction of The One is expected to be completed by 2022 or 2023  with The One's retail space anticipated for opening in 2020.
Located in Toronto's Yorkville neighbourhood at the intersection of Yonge and Bloor, The One is across the street from the 257 metre (844 feet) tall One Bloor condominium. It will neighbour existing office building Two Bloor West. The site of The One involves land assembly that includes properties at 768 Yonge Street, in addition to those at 1 and 11 Bloor Street West.
Developer Sam Mizrahi acquired the land in October 2014 for $300 million. Mizrahi received approval from the city to build on September 12, 2016. The total cost for the project is reported to be $1 billion.
Mizrahi hired the London-based Foster and Partners as the design architect, and Core Architects as the local architect. He travelled to London to design the building using an exoskeleton structure. The design of the building was revised based on recommendations from RWDI and the organization's wind tunnel testing. The extra height of the building has been determined to not have increased shadowing impacts on nearby parks.
The first 18 storeys of The One will include restaurants, event spaces, two major retailers and a luxury Hyatt hotel created under its boutique Andaz brand. An Apple Store is expected to be the anchor tenant of The One, and the retail portion of the tower is scheduled to open in 2020.
Above the retail outlet, the tower's residential section will have a total of 416 units. The One will include four penthouse units.  4 storeys of parking will exist underground, and the building with connect to the Bloor–Yonge station and nearby buildings via an underground walkway system similar to (but separate from) the city's PATH system.
Acquiring the property
For 114 years, One Bloor West, where The One will be built, was the location of Stollerys, a men's and women's fine clothing store. Stollerys had been owned by the family of its President, Ed Whaley, for equally as long. Other developers had interest in buying and developing One Bloor West. However, Mizrahi met with Whaley regularly and the two developed a friendship around shared values. Whaley called Mizrahi a “gentleman” and someone who “builds a quality building”. After Mizrahi purchased the properties for The One, Mizrahi provided a written promise to Whaley that a monument, built from the stones of Stollerys, would be developed at the site of The One.
On January 7, 2015, Mizrahi applied for a demolition permit of the Stollerys building. Six days later, local Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam put forward a motion at the Toronto and East York Community Council in order to designate the building as a heritage site. However, Mizrahi was granted the demolition permit on January 16  and in order to prevent the heritage designation, started to demolish the building on the weekend starting Saturday, January 17. These actions angered many in the heritage groups and prompted calls for new processes for heritage and demolition in the city of Toronto.
In June 2016, the city of Toronto’s planning staff gave a positive report on plans for The One’s development, including in their report a number of community benefit recommendations. The report found that plans for The One met Toronto’s planning policies and guidelines. On April 18, 2017, the project was approved by the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB). With both OMB's approval and approval by Toronto's city council, pre-construction as well as pre-sales of The One's units can begin. As of Spring 2017, more than 3,000 people have pre-registered for the 416 residential units. In August 2017, The One secured its new round of lending replacing existing debt, with Firm Capital Corp. lending C$135 million ($108 million) as a first mortgage on The One. In November 2017, The One's presentation centre opened for the first time for people who pre-registered.
On August 23, 2017, construction of The One officially broke ground, with excavation nearly complete as of October 2018.  In November 2018, a special crane, the Link-Belt TG2300B, described by a source as potentially the highest capacity crane deployed in Toronto, was brought to the site to begin construction of the tower.  The creation of 32 mega caissons, which will be used to support the tower, was completed in April 2019.  On May 1, 2019, it was announced that The One will include a 160-room Andaz hotel, expected to open in 2022. 
- "How Toronto's latest mega tower got the green light".
- "Buzz talk with Sam Mizrahi, president of Mizrahi Developments". BuzzBuzzNews. September 26, 2016. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- "Canada's tallest condo tower, 1 Bloor West, set to rise in Toronto". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved October 26, 2017.
- "Canada's Future Tallest Building, 'The One,' Gets Even Taller".
- Hall, Joseph (October 9, 2016). "The art of taming the wind". The Star. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- "The One Approved at OMB, Now 2 Storeys Taller". Urban Toronto. May 10, 2017. Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- "Mizrahi Developments buys Stollerys at Yonge and Bloor | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Sam Mizrahi - One Bloor Street West, the One-Billion Dollar Building". Dolce Vita luxury magazine. 2014-12-18. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Mizrahi Shows Refined 'The One' at Design Review Panel | Urban Toronto". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Toronto's newest luxury hotel will be located in the tallest building in Canada". Daily Hive. May 1, 2019. Retrieved May 1, 2019.
- "Is Toronto getting a new Apple Store? A rumour rundown | Toronto Life". 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- Wintrob, Suzanne (December 16, 2017). "The One to Watch". The National Post. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- Infantry, Ashante (October 8, 2014). "Mizrahi Developments buys Stollerys at Yonge and Bloor". The Star. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Sufrin, Jon (February 24, 2015). "Sam Mizrahi, the developer who snagged Toronto's most coveted piece of real estate". Toronto Life. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Longley, Richard (March 17, 2015). "Sam Mizrahi launches The One". Now. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- "Stollerys Demolition Begins Amid Heritage Concerns | Urban Toronto". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Demo of Stollery's in Toronto prompts calls for new heritage process". dailycommercialnews.com. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Stollery's is going. But Toronto should do more to save its heritage". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "THE ONE by Sam Mizrahi prepares for sales after development receives final approval from OMB". BuzzBuzzNews. May 9, 2017. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- Dmitrieva, Katia (August 23, 2017). "Tallest Canada Condo Tower Secures Mortgage". Bloomberg. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- White, Craig (November 22, 2017). "The One's Presentation Centre Opens For First Time". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Excavation Nearing its Final Stages at The One". Urban Toronto. October 4, 2018. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- White, Craig (August 23, 2017). "Ground Broken for Toronto's First 'Supertall', Mizrahi's The One". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "Specialized Crane Installed for "The One" at Bloor and Yonge". Urban Toronto. November 14, 2016. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- "Completed Mega Caissons Revealed as 'The One' Progresses". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved 2019-04-30.