The One and Only (song)
|"The One and Only"|
|Single by Chesney Hawkes|
|from the album Buddy's Song|
|Format||CD single, 7" vinyl, 12" vinyl|
|Producer(s)||Alan Shacklock and Nik Kershaw|
|Chesney Hawkes singles chronology|
Produced by Kershaw and Alan Shacklock, Hawkes's recording was featured in the 1991 film Buddy's Song which starred Hawkes as the eponymous Buddy and Roger Daltrey (of rock band The Who) as his father. The film performed moderately well at the UK box office, but the song was a hit in that country's music charts, spending five weeks at number one on the UK Singles Chart in March and April 1991.
The song was later featured in the film Doc Hollywood, also from 1991 (starring Michael J. Fox) and became a hit in the U.S., peaking at number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in November 1991.
The song was featured in two films by director Duncan Jones; in the 2009 film Moon (starring Sam Rockwell) as the wake-up alarm for the main character, and in the 2011 film Source Code, the song appears as the cellphone ringtone of the character of Christina. It is heard several times throughout each movie. ("The One and Only" in Moon is used ironically and is related to the story that unwinds. Jones admitted in an interview for the Warcraft movie that if an extended cut was ever released we'd see Hawkes sing the song, as he had a cameo playing a Bard. Hawkes is friends with director Jones and was also friends with his father David Bowie.
Hawkes was unable to follow up on this success, and is largely remembered as a one-hit wonder.
|1.||"The One and Only"||Nik Kershaw||3:44|
|2.||"It's Gonna Be Tough (film version)"||Nigel Hinton and John Wesley Harding||2:30|
|3.||"Say Mama"||Johnny Meeks and Johnny Earl||2:10|
|4.||"It's Gonna Be Tough"||Nigel Hinton and John Wesley Harding||2:50|
Two music videos were made. One featured Hawkes performing for a crowd on a stage. The second video features a girl, played by Saffron and her friend (played by Lucy Alexander) going to a cinema to watch Buddy's Song, where Hawkes jumps out of the screen and beckons the girl to follow him. They go into a storage room, but Hawkes is then pulled back into the screen; he escapes again, only to have Roger Daltrey (who plays the father of Hawkes's character in the film) come out of the screen and chase after them. Finally, at the end of the video, Hawkes reaches out of the screen to the girl, who takes his hands and goes into the screen with him. They kiss whilst being watched by the girl's shocked friend.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||1|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||3|
|Canadian Singles Chart||61|
|Finland (Finnish Singles Chart)||2|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||8|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||9|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||4|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
|Poland (Polish Airplay Top 100)||75|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||7|
|US Billboard Hot 100||93|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000|
sales+streaming figures based on certification alone
- Guinness British Hit Singles (11th ed.). Guinness Publishing Ltd. 1997. p. 162. ISBN 0-85112-027-X.
- The Official UK Charts Company. "All the No. 1's – The One and Only". Archived from the original on 22 December 2008. Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Chart Stats - Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only". Archived from the original on 10 October 2012. Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Billboard Singles". Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- "Mario Lopez | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Mario Lopez - The One And Only (File, MP3) at Discogs". Discogs.com. 2008-05-30. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- : (2008-05-30). "The one and only (2008) | Mario Lopez". 7digital.com. Archived from the original on 2011-03-05. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Austriancharts.at – Chesney Hawnes – The One and Only" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Chesney Hawnes – The One and Only" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Top 10 Denmark" (PDF). Music & Media. Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- source: Pennanen, Timo: Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972. Helsinki: Kustannusosakeyhtiö Otava, 2006. ISBN 9789511210535. page: 280
- "Musicline.de – Chesney Hawnes Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "irishcharts.ie search results". Archived from the original on 1 February 2010. Retrieved 20 April 2009.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Chesney Hawnes – The One and Only" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Chesney Hawnes – The One and Only". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Chesney Hawnes – The One and Only". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Chesney Hawnes – The One and Only". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- "1991 Top 100 Singles". Music Week. London, England: Spotlight Publications. 11 January 1992. p. 20.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1991". Archived from the original on 2009-07-07. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "British single certifications – Chesney Hawkes – The One and Only". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 14 December 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type The One and Only in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.