The One and Only (song)
|"The One and Only"|
|Single by Chesney Hawkes|
|from the album Buddy's Song|
|B-side||"It's Gonna Be Tough"
|Format||CD single, 7" vinyl, 12" vinyl|
|Producer(s)||Alan Shacklock and Nik Kershaw|
|Chesney Hawkes singles chronology|
Produced by Kershaw and Alan Shacklock, Hawkes's recording was featured in the 1991 film Buddy's Song which starred Hawkes as the eponymous Buddy and Roger Daltrey (of rock band The Who) as his father. The film performed moderately well at the UK box office, but the song was a hit in that country's music charts, spending five weeks at number one on the UK Singles Chart in March and April 1991.
The song was later featured in the film Doc Hollywood, also from 1991 (starring Michael J. Fox) and became a hit in the U.S., peaking at number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in May 1991.
The song was featured in two films by director Duncan Jones; in the 2009 film Moon (starring Sam Rockwell) as the wake-up alarm for the main character, and in the 2011 film Source Code, the song appears as the cellphone ringtone of the character of Christina. It is heard several times throughout each movie. ("The One and Only" in Moon is used ironically and is related to the story that unwinds. Jones admitted in an interview for the Warcraft movie that if an extended cut was ever released we'd see Hawkes sign the song, as he had a cameo playing a Bard. Hawkes is friends with director Jones and was also friends with his father David Bowie).
Hawkes was unable to follow up on this success, and is largely remembered as a one-hit wonder.
|1.||"The One and Only"||Nik Kershaw||3:44|
|2.||"It's Gonna Be Tough (film version)"||Nigel Hinton and John Wesley Harding||2:30|
|3.||"Say Mama"||Johnny Meeks and Johnny Earl||2:10|
|4.||"It's Gonna Be Tough"||Nigel Hinton and John Wesley Harding||2:50|
Two music videos were made. One featured Hawkes performing for a crowd on a stage. The second video features a girl, played by Saffron and her friend (played by Lucy Alexander) going to a cinema to watch Buddy's Song, where Hawkes jumps out of the screen and beckons the girl to follow him. They go into a storage room, but Hawkes is then pulled back into the screen; he escapes again, only to have Roger Daltrey (who plays the father of Hawkes's character in the film) come out of the screen and chase after them. Finally, at the end of the video, Hawkes reaches out of the screen to the girl, who takes his hands and goes into the screen with him. They kiss whilst being watched by the girl's shocked friend.
|Austrian Singles Chart||1|
|Belgian Singles Chart (Flanders)||3|
|Canadian Singles Chart||61|
|Dutch Singles Chart||9|
|Finnish Singles Chart||16|
|German Singles Chart||8|
|Irish Singles Chart||3|
|Japanese Singles Chart||7|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||5|
|Swedish Singles Chart||2|
|Swiss Singles Chart||5|
|UK Singles Chart||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
|Poland (Polish Airplay Top 100)||78|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||93|
- Guinness British Hit Singles (11th ed.). Guinness Publishing Ltd. 1997. p. 162. ISBN 0-85112-027-X.
- The Official UK Charts Company. "All the No. 1's – The One and Only". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Chart Stats - Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only". Archived from the original on 2007-07-07. Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "AllMusic ((( Chesney Hawkes > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))". Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- "Mario Lopez | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Mario Lopez - The One And Only (File, MP3) at Discogs". Discogs.com. 2008-05-30. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- : (2008-05-30). "The one and only (2008) | Mario Lopez". 7digital.com. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only - austriancharts.at (German)". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only - ultratop.be". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only (Dutch)". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- source: Pennanen, Timo: Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972. Helsinki: Kustannusosakeyhtiö Otava, 2006. ISBN 9789511210535. page: 280
- "irishcharts.ie search results". Retrieved 20 April 2009.
- http://www.oricon.co.jp/prof/artist/103605/profile/history/. Retrieved 25 April 2009. Missing or empty
- "norwegiancharts.com - Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "swedishcharts.com - Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only - hitparade.ch (German)". Retrieved 25 April 2009.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1991". Retrieved 2009-09-15.
"The Stonk" by Hale and Pace
|UK number-one single
30 March - 27 April 1991 (5 weeks)
"The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)" by Cher
|This 1990s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|