The Organ Donor
|The Organ Donor|
|Directed by||Darren Lynn Bousman|
|Story by||Chris Rock|
|Distributed by||Lionsgate Films|
The Organ Donor is an upcoming American horror film. The film will serve as the ninth installment in the Saw franchise. The film is directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, from a screenplay by Josh Stolberg and Pete Goldfinger, based on a story by Chris Rock. The film stars Rock, Samuel L. Jackson, Max Minghella, and Marisol Nichols.
The film is scheduled to be released on May 15, 2020, in the United States by Lionsgate Films.
- Chris Rock as Zeke
- Samuel L. Jackson as Marcus
- Max Minghella as William Schenk
- Marisol Nichols as Capt. Angie Garza
On January 16, 2018, Lionsgate was reported to have begun discussing a ninth Saw film, for which the Spierig brothers would not be returning. On April 3, 2018, Twisted Pictures was reported to be developing a sequel with Jigsaw writers Josh Stolberg and Pete Goldfinger.
On May 16, 2019, it was confirmed that a ninth film in the series was officially in production. Former series director Darren Lynn Bousman will return to helm the film, along with series veterans Mark Burg and Oren Koules as producers. Comedian and actor Chris Rock will also be involved as an executive producer, in addition to writing the story treatment. Joining Rock as executive producers includes the original Saw creators James Wan and Leigh Whannell, along with Daniel Heffner. Jigsaw writers Josh Stolberg and Pete Goldfinger will write the script. Rock stated "I've been a fan of Saw since the first film in 2004. I am excited by the opportunity to take this to a really intense and twisted new place." Rock approached Lionsgate Pictures with his ideas of extending the franchise, who became very interested in the concept. Lionsgate's CEO Joe Drake said that Rock's idea was "completely reverential to the legacy of the material while reinvigorating the brand with his wit, creative vision and passion for this classic horror franchise". Burg and Koules said that Rock's treatment of Saw was comparable to what Eddie Murphy had done for buddy cop films in 48 Hrs., giving the Saw series a "completely fresh perspective".
On June 26, 2019, Stolberg confirmed that the ninth installment will exist in the same canon as the previous eight films, and will not be a reboot, nor will it be a direct sequel to Jigsaw.
On July 8, 2019, filming commenced in Toronto under the working title of The Organ Donor. Rock, Samuel L. Jackson, Max Minghella, and Marisol Nichols are co-starring, playing the roles of a police detective, his father, his partner, and a police captain, respectively. Lionsgate Motion Picture Group's chairman Joe Drake stated "We think Samuel L. Jackson and Chris Rock along with Max Minghella and Marisol Nichols make this film completely special in the Saw canon and we can’t wait to unleash this unexpected and sinister new story on fans of this franchise. This is next level of Saw on full tilt." On August 28, 2019, filming officially wrapped.
The Organ Donor is scheduled to be released on May 15, 2020 in the United States by Lionsgate Films. It was originally scheduled to be released on October 23, 2020, but got moved up possibly to avoid competition with the sequel to 2018's Halloween reboot, Halloween Kills.
- Welk, Brian (July 8, 2019). "Samuel L Jackson Joins Chris Rock's 'Saw' Reboot". TheWrap. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
- Stephens, David (January 16, 2018). "Saw 9 'Conversation' is Reportedly Happening". Screen Rant. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
- Miska, Brad (April 3, 2018). "'Jigsaw' Writers Are Currently Working On Next 'SAW' [Exclusive]". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (May 16, 2019). "Chris Rock Rebooting 'Saw' Franchise With Lionsgate". Variety. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
- Miska, Brad (May 16, 2019). "'SAW' Being Reimagined by Chris Rock with Darren Bousman Returning to Direct!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved August 31, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 16, 2019). "Chris Rock To Reboot 'Saw' Franchise With Lionsgate & Twisted Pictures". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 31, 2019.
- Seddon, Dan (July 8, 2019). "How Saw reboot fits in with the series timeline". Digital Spy. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (July 8, 2019). "'Samuel L. Jackson to Star in Chris Rock's 'Saw' Reboot'". Variety. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
- Borines, Nobelle (May 24, 2019). "'Saw 9' Release Date, Spoilers: Chris Rock Reboot Might Introduce Creepy New John Kramer". Business Times. Retrieved August 31, 2019.
- Hough, Q.V. (June 27, 2019). "New Saw Movie Set To Start Filming This Month". Screen Rant. Retrieved August 31, 2019.
- Lussier, Germain (July 9, 2019). "More Like Saw-muel L. Jackson, Right?". Gizmodo. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
- Brad, Miska (August 28, 2019). "Chris Rock's New Take on 'SAW' Wraps Production". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- Galuppo, Mia (July 22, 2019). "Chris Rock's 'Saw' Movie Moved Up to May 2020". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (July 22, 2019). "Chris Rock's 'Saw' Reboot Moves Up Five Months to May 2020". Variety. Retrieved July 23, 2019.