The Originals (TV series)
|Created by||Julie Plec|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||66 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original network||The CW|
|Original release||October 3, 2013– present|
|Related shows||The Vampire Diaries|
The Originals is an American television series that began airing on The CW on October 3, 2013. Created as a spin-off of The Vampire Diaries, the series follows vampire Klaus Mikaelson as he and his family become embroiled in the supernatural politics of New Orleans.
The series premiere aired after The Vampire Diaries on Thursday, October 3, 2013. A week later, on October 8, 2013, it moved to Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. Eastern (7:00 p.m. Central) in its regular timeslot where it led in to Supernatural.
On February 13, 2014, The CW renewed the series for a second season. The second season began on October 6, 2014; The CW announced the show's move to Mondays. On March 11, 2016, The CW renewed the series for a fourth season consisting of 13 episodes. The fourth season has been moved to a mid-season premiere for the 2016/17 television season.
The Originals is a spin-off from The Vampire Diaries which centers around the Mikaelson siblings, Klaus (Joseph Morgan), Elijah (Daniel Gillies), and Rebekah (Claire Holt). The backdoor pilot, which aired on April 25, 2013, also revealed that the werewolf Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) is pregnant with Klaus's child and would, therefore, join the cast. The show begins with the original siblings returning to the city of New Orleans for the first time since 1919. Having originally built the city, they had been forced to flee from their vengeful father. In their absence, Klaus's protégé, Marcel (Charles Michael Davis), took charge of the city. Klaus resolves that they must take down Marcel and get back the city that once belonged to them. While doing that they must also protect their city from a war brewing between vampires, werewolves and witches. Over time new and old friendships are formed, love is in the air, death surrounds them and most of all they learn more about their own family past.
Cast and characters
- Joseph Morgan portrays Klaus Mikaelson, the main protagonist. He is the Original Hybrid; half-Original Vampire and half-werewolf. Klaus might be one of the most evil supernatural beings but he has a soft spot especially for his family.
- Daniel Gillies portrays Elijah Mikaelson. He is an Original Vampire and will always be there for his family especially his brother, Klaus.
- Claire Holt portrays Rebekah Mikaelson (Season 1; Special Guest Star: Season 2–present). She is an Original Vampire and is a strong woman who will fight for what she loves.
- Phoebe Tonkin portrays Hayley Marshall, a werewolf who conceived a daughter with Klaus. She is now a vampire-werewolf hybrid and struggles with a lot of pain but she will get through it with the help of some people.
- Charles Michael Davis portrays Marcel Gerard, a vampire turned by Klaus, his former protégé, who will have a struggle of choosing from the good and bad side.
- Daniella Pineda portrays Sophie Deveraux (Season 1), a witch of the French Quarter.
- Leah Pipes portrays Camille O'Connell (Seasons 1–3), a human therapist for Klaus who was later turned into a vampire along the way she struggles with the supernatural but finds love in the end.
- Danielle Campbell portrays Davina Claire (Seasons 1–3), a powerful young witch who can stand her own ground whilst falling for one of the Mikaelsons.
- Yusuf Gatewood portrays Vincent Griffith (Season 2–present; Guest: Season 1), a witch once possessed by Finn, the eldest brother among the Mikaelson siblings, and the now recently impeached Regent of all witch covens in the city.
- Riley Voelkel portrays Freya Mikaelson (Season 3–present; Recurring: Season 2), a thousand year old witch, former immortal, and the eldest of the Mikaelson siblings who has just been reunited with her family and the struggles that come with them.
- Nathaniel Buzolic portrays Kol Mikaelson, the youngest brother of the Original family.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||22||October 3, 2013||May 13, 2014|
|2||22||October 6, 2014||May 11, 2015|
|3||22||October 8, 2015||May 20, 2016|
|4||13||January 29, 2017||TBA|
On January 11, 2013, it was announced that a back-door pilot focused on the Originals, starring Joseph Morgan as Klaus and titled The Originals would air sometime in April for a potential series pick-up for the 2013–2014 season. On April 26, 2013, The Originals was confirmed for a full series. This second spin-off attempt will be overseen by Julie Plec, with no involvement by Kevin Williamson. The Originals was officially picked up by The CW on April 26, 2013, for the 2013–14 season. Season one of The Originals was set to premiere on Tuesday, October 15. However, on July 29, 2013, The CW announced that the series premiere would instead air on October 3, 2013, following the fifth season premiere of The Vampire Diaries in order to attract fans of the series. On October 10, 2013, the CW ordered three additional scripts for the series. On November 11, 2013, the CW decided to order a full season for The Originals.
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||No. of
|1||Tuesday 8pm||22||October 3, 2013||2.21||May 13, 2014||1.76||2013–2014||#149||2.61||1.6/4|
|2||Monday 8pm||22||October 6, 2014||1.37||May 11, 2015||1.19||2014–2015||#172||1.81||0.9/3|
|3||Thursday 9pm (2015)
Friday 9pm (2016)
|22||October 8, 2015||0.89||May 20, 2016||0.85||2015–2016||#181||1.44||0.6/2|
Awards and nominations
|2014||People's Choice Awards||Favorite New TV Drama||The Originals||Nominated|
|Favorite Actor in a New Series||Joseph Morgan||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|
|Choice TV Actress Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Claire Holt||Nominated|
|Emmy Awards||Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series||Colleen Labaff
|2015||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|
|2016||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|
The Originals: The Awakening
The Originals: The Awakening is a webseries. The series explores the character Kol Mikaelson and his relationships with his siblings. Flashing back to 1914, Kol is on a quest to form an alliance with the witches of the French Quarter. Awakening gives answers to some questions about Kol's past, including the origins of his rivalry with his family and the unique backstory he has with the New Orleans witches. Each webisode is approximately two minutes long.
- Nathaniel Buzolic as Kol Mikaelson
- Keri Lynn Pratt as Mary-Alice Claire
- Aleeah Rogers as Astrid Malchance
|1||The Awakening: Part 1||Carina Adly MacKenzie||Matt Hastings||November 10, 2014|
|2||The Awakening: Part 2||November 17, 2014|
|3||The Awakening: Part 3||November 24, 2014|
|4||The Awakening: Part 4||December 8, 2014|
On January 27, 2015, the first book in a series of novels based on the show was released.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 29, 2013). "The CW Moves Up 'The Originals' Premiere to Follow 'The Vampire Diaries' + 'Supernatural' Gets Earlier Start". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 13, 2014). "'Reign', 'Arrow', 'Supernatural', 'The Originals' & 'The Vampire Diaries' Renewed by The CW". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Porter, Rick (March 11, 2016). "'The Flash', 'The 100' and even 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' renewed: All 11 CW series picked up for 2016-17". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- Barnes, Nick (May 20, 2016). "CW benches the Originals for Mid-Season 2017". UnrealityTV. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 11, 2013). "The CW Orders Backdoor Pilot for 'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff, 'The Originals'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley; Philiana Ng (January 11, 2013). "'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff 'The Originals' in the Works at CW". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 13, 2013.
- Ausiello, Michael (April 26, 2013). "The CW Shows Renewed 2013 — 'Hart of Dixie,' 'Beauty and the Beast'". TVLine. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- Tim Kenneally (June 24, 2013). "The CW sets fall premieres: 'Tomorrow People,' 'The Originals'". Chicago Tribune.
- Gelman, Vlada (October 10, 2013). "The CW Orders Additional Scripts for The Originals, Tomorrow People and Reign". TV Line. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 11, 2013). "CW Gives Full-Season Orders To Freshman Series 'The Originals', 'The Tomorrow People' & 'Reign'". Deadline.com. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Matt Webb Mitovich. "Claire Holt Quits 'The Originals' — Rebekah's Last Episode Season 1 - TVLine". TVLine. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "The Originals at PaleyFest: The Cast Talks Elijah's Undoing, Klaroline, Whether Rebekah Will Return, and More". TV.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (October 4, 2013). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory', 'Grey's Anatomy' & 'The Originals' Adjusted Up; 'Parks And Recreation', 'Welcome to the Family', 'Sean Saves the World', 'Michael J. Fox Show', & 'Parenthood' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (May 14, 2014). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Voice', 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' & 'The Goldbergs' Adjusted Up; 'The Originals', 'Supernatural' & 'About A Boy' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- "Full 2013-2014 TV Season Series Rankings". Deadline. May 22, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (October 16, 2014). "Revised Monday, October 6 Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory', 'The Voice', 'Scorpion', 'NCIS: Los Angeles' Adjusted Up; 'Dancing With The Stars' & 'Castle' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 17, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 12, 2015). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Dancing With the Stars' & 'The Following' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 21, 2015). "Full 2014-15 TV Season Series Rankings: Football & 'Empire' Ruled". Deadline. Retrieved June 13, 2015.
- Porter, Rick (October 9, 2015). "Thursday final ratings: 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'How to Get Away with Murder' adjusted up, low CW premieres hold". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- Porter, Rick (May 23, 2016). "Friday final ratings: 'Shark Tank' finale adjusts up, 'Originals' and 'Masters of Illusion' adjust down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 26, 2016). "Full 2015-16 TV Season Series Rankings: 'Blindspot', 'Life In Pieces' & 'Quantico' Lead Newcomers". Deadline. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (August 10, 2014). "Teen Choice Awards: The Complete Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "Emmy Nominations". Emmy Awards. July 10, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Variety Staff (August 16, 2015). "Teen Choice Awards 2015 Winners: Full List". Variety. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- Goodman, Jessica (July 31, 2016). "Teen Choice Awards 2016: See the full list of winners". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "The Originals: The Rise: Julie Plec: 9780373788897: Amazon.com: Books". amazon.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Originals (TV series).|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Originals (TV series)|