The Other Europe
|Founded||5 March 2014|
|Dissolved||2 April 2019|
|Succeeded by||The Left|
|European affiliation||Party of the European Left (observer)|
|European Parliament group||GUE/NGL|
|Chamber of Deputies|
0 / 630
0 / 315
2 / 73
The Other Europe (Italian: L'Altra Europa), whose full name is The Other Europe with Tsipras (L'Altra Europa con Tsipras), is a left-wing political alliance in Italy, which took part to the 2014 European Parliament election in support of Alexis Tsipras, the candidate of the Party of the European Left for President of the European Commission.
In the 2014 EP election the list obtained 4.0% of the vote, just above the 4% threshold, and 3 elects to the European Parliament: Eleonora Forenza (Communist Refoundation Party), Curzio Maltese (independent, later Left Ecology Freedom) and Barbara Spinelli (independent). After the election, they joined the European United Left–Nordic Green Left (GUE/NGL) Group. In May 2015 Spinelli left AET, becoming an independent MEP within GUE/NGL.
In July 2015 two senators, Fabrizio Bocchino and Francesco Campanella, elected in the 2013 general election with the Five Star Movement and later founding members of the short-lived Italy Work in Progress party, launched a sub-group named "The Other Europe with Tsipras" within the Mixed Group of the Senate. In March 2016 the sub-group was folded into Italian Left, which had been launched primarily by Left Ecology Freedom and dissidents of the Democratic Party.
AET was founded on 5 March 2014 in Rome by some Italian intellectuals, Andrea Camilleri, Paolo Flores d'Arcais, Luciano Gallino, Marco Revelli, Barbara Spinelli and Guido Viale. The alliance was then composed of the following parties:
|Left Ecology Freedom (SEL)||Democratic socialism||Nichi Vendola|
|Communist Refoundation Party (PRC)||Communism||Paolo Ferrero|
|Greens of South Tyrol||Green politics||Giorgio Zanvettor|
|Labour Party (PL)||Socialism||Cesare Salvi|
|Civil Action (AC)||Anti-corruption||Antonio Ingroia|
|Pirate Party (PP)||Pirate politics||Luca Cappelletti|
|Independence Republic of Sardinia (IRS)||Sardinian nationalism||Gavino Sale|
- Massimo Torelli (05/03/2014–present)
- Marco Revelli (01/02/2014–present)
- Argyris Panagopoulos, in name of Alexis Tsipras (08/02/2014–present)
- Massimo Torelli (01/02/2014–present)
- Andrea Camilleri (01/02/2014–11/03/2014)
- Paolo Flores d'Arcais (01/02/2014–11/03/2014)
- Luciano Gallino (01/02/2014–08/11/2015)
- Barbara Spinelli (01/02/2014–15/05/2015)
- Guido Viale (01/02/2014–18/03/2015)
3 / 73
0 / 50
0 / 35
0 / 51
1 / 50
0 / 31
0 / 31
0 / 20
0 / 51
0 / 30
- ""L'altra Europa con Tsipras", ecco il nome della lista" (in Italian). Europa. 2014-02-18. Archived from the original on 2014-02-27. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "Nasce "L'altra Europa con Tsipras", la lista della società civile contro l'austerità" (in Italian). Il Fatto Quotidiano. 2014-02-18. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Barbara Spinelli lascia "L'Altra Europa con Tsipras" e conserva il seggio a Bruxelles
- "A sinistra, una lista per Tsipras" (in Italian). il manifesto. 2014-01-17. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "Verso la lista Tsipras: resoconto della riunione con le associazioni" (in Italian). listatsipras.eu. 2014-02-16. Archived from the original on 2014-03-15. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "Tutti i candidati de “L’Altra Europa con Tsipras”" (in Italian). esserecomunisti.it. 2014-03-06. Archived from the original on 2014-03-14. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "Il Partito Pirata aderisce a L'Altra Europa". Frontiere digitali (in Italian). 2014-04-10. Retrieved 2014-12-27.