The Outsider (2002 film)
|Directed by||Randa Haines|
|Produced by||Darryl Sheen|
|Written by||Penelope Williamson (book)
Jenny Wingfield (teleplay)
|Music by||Todd Boekelheide|
|Edited by||Lisa Bromwell|
Coote Hayes Productions
|Distributed by||DEJ Productions|
The Outsider is a 2002 Western film starring Tim Daly and Naomi Watts. The film is based on Penelope Williamson's novel. Similar to Angel and the Badman where John Wayne plays a wounded outlaw who is sheltered by a Quaker family.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2010)|
The Western, The Outsider, takes place in Montana of the late 19th century. Wounded outlaw Johnny Gault (Tim Daly) is given refuge by widowed sheep farmer Rebecca Yoder (Naomi Watts). This puts Rebecca on the outs with her own people, a pacifist religious group, that resembles the Amish. They incur the wrath of a ruthless cattle baron who wants the land of the religious group. He was also responsible for the death of Rebecca's husband.
The two enter into a relationship which is forbidden since he is an "outsider" from their religion and way of life. She is shunned from the fold until she is ready to confess her sins from this illicit union and be forgiven. She decides she must go back to her old way of living. When the time comes for her to do so, she is not able to walk away from her new life with Johnny. She leaves the meeting that had been set up and runs back to Johnny.
In an attempt to help Johnny in a shoot out, during which Johnny kills also the cattle baron, Rebecca is hit by an enemy's bullet. She eventually recovers and they (presumably) live happily ever after as they ride off (into the sunset).
- Timothy Daly as Johnny Gault
- Naomi Watts as Rebecca Yoder
- Keith Carradine as Noah Weaver
- David Carradine as Doctor Lucas Henry
- Thomas Curtis as Benjo Yoder
- John Noble as Fergus Hunter
- Todd Leigh as Mose
- Brett Tucker as Ben Yoder
- Grant Piro as Woodrow Wharton
- Peter McCauley as Isaiah Miller
- Jason Clarke as Ray Childress
- Aaron James Cash as Samuel Miller
- Simon Watts as Abram Miller
- Eamon Farren as Levi Miller
- Kim Knuckey as Sheriff Getts