La Complainte du Partisan
Adaptation and covers
Originally written in French, it has been adapted in English with lyrics by Hy Zaret and covered by diverse artists, including Leonard Cohen, Les Compagnons de la chanson, Goteki, Joan Baez, Buffy Sainte-Marie, 16 Horsepower, Po' Girl, Branimir Štulić, Arsen Dedić, Jaromír Nohavica, Electrelane, The Swell Season, Other Lives, American Steel, Mick Gordon with Tex Perkins.
This song has been translated into many languages, particularly after the version by Leonard Cohen.
- Italian: by Bruno Lauzi (titled Il partigiano), and recorded by Claudio Daiano
- Dutch: translated by Rob Chrispijn as De Vluchteling ("the refugee") and recorded by Herman van Veen in 1971. In 2005, Yasmine and Thé Lau recorded an alternative version.
- Serbocroatian: by Branimir Štulić (adapted and titled Partizan and recorded on Štulić's album "Sevdah za Paulu Horvat") and Nikica Petrak (titled Partizan and performed by Arsen Dedić)
- Polish: by Maciej Zembaty as Partyzant
- German: by Misha G. Schoeneberg, and recorded by Max Prosa
- Covers by Maciej Zembaty, http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/cover4.html
- The text of the song La Complainte du partisan/The Partisan
- Song of the French Partisan
- Leonard Cohen-The Partisan on YouTube
- Raoul Breton-La Complainte du Partisan on YouTube
- Arsen Dedić-Partizan on YouTube
- Branimir Štulić-Partizan
- Mick Gordon (feat. Tex Perkins) - The Partisan on YouTube
|This 1940s song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|