The Party's Just Beginning
|The Party's Just Beginning|
|Directed by||Karen Gillan|
|Written by||Karen Gillan|
|Music by||Pepijn Caudron|
|Edited by||Brett W. Bachman|
|Distributed by||The Orchard|
This article needs an improved plot summary. (December 2018)
Lucy is a 24 year old woman from Inverness. Stuck in a dead end job selling cheese at a supermarket, she spends her evenings binge drinking and engaging in casual sex with strangers. These behaviours are coping mechanisms she's adopted to deal with the suicide of her best friend, Alistair, who died by jumping off a bridge in front of a train almost a year earlier. Throughout the film, Lucy keeps flashing back to the previous year with Alistair.
Lucy meets a stranger at a bar and has sex with him. To her surprise, he tracks her down and the two have a few more trysts before he informs her that he is returning home.
Walking home at night after another night out, Lucy passes the bridge where Alistair committed suicide. She is surprised to see the stranger there, apparently about to kill himself, and she manages to talk him down. The two spend time together and though Lucy asks him to stay, he decides to leave, this time for real. Before he does Lucy tells him her name, and he tells her that his name is Dale.
Lucy is fired from her job due to taking several days off work and spirals further out of control. On Christmas, the anniversary of Alistair's death, she blacks out and is raped by three men.
In November 2016, it was announced Karen Gillan would direct, write, and star in her first directorial feature film titled Tupperware Party. Mali Elfman, Tien Huei Grace Yeh and Claire Mundell, serving as producers on the film, while R. Andre Davies, Albert Davies, Albert Gersten and Sloan Martin serve as executive producers under their Mt. Hollywood Films banner. In January 2017, Lee Pace, Matthew Beard, Paul Higgins and Siobhan Redmond joined the cast of the film. Kreng composed the film's score. The film was shot in January-February 2017, and the title was changed from Tupperware Party to The Party's Just Beginning.
The film premiered at Glasgow Film Festival on February 24, 2018. The film had its American premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 22, 2018. Shortly after, The Orchard acquired distribution rights to the film. It was released on December 7, 2018.
The Party's Just Beginning holds a 73% approval rating on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, based on 15 reviews, and an average rating of 6.4/10. On Metacritic, the film holds a weighted average score of 71 out of 100, signifying "generally favorable reviews".
- McNary, Dave (November 2, 2016). "Karen Gillan to Make Directorial Debut With 'Tupperware Party' Movie for Mt. Hollywood Films". Variety. Retrieved July 9, 2018.
- Parfitt, Orlando (18 January 2017). "Karen Gillan updates on directing debut, Lee Pace joins cast". Screen Daily. Screen International. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- McLean, Pauline (8 February 2018). "Gillan returns to Scotland with new film". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Ritman, Alex (20 January 2017). "Karen Gillan Talks Directing Debut, 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' and That 'Jumanji' Outfit (Q&A)". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- filmmusicreporter (21 August 2017). "Kreng Scoring Karen Gillan's 'The Party's Just Beginning'". Film Music Reporter. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Karen Gillan on Tupperware Party, Inverness and Avengers". BBC. 17 January 2017. Archived from the original on 18 January 2017.
- "Karen Gillan on Instagram". Instagram. Archived from the original on 22 April 2017. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
That's a wrap on Tupperware Party! I am so amazed by every single one of our cast and crew. We had a bloody good laugh and made something really special. Thanks to everyone involved. #tupperwarepartymovie #filmmaking @malielfman @clairey1111
- "Star-studded line-up for Film Festival". BBC News. BBC. 8 February 2018. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "The Party's Just Beginning". Tribeca Film Festival. Retrieved July 9, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (July 9, 2018). "Karen Gillan's Directorial Debut 'The Party's Just Beginning' Sprouts At The Orchard". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 9, 2018.
- Nolfi, Joey (November 12, 2018). "The Party's Just Beginning trailer: Marvel star Karen Gillan gets dark in directorial debut". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 12, 2018.
- "The Party's Just Beginning (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 21 December 2018.