The Pastel Society
The Pastel Society is a registered charity and was founded in England in 1898. Its first exhibition was held in the Royal Institute, Piccadilly, London. It holds an annual exhibition in the Mall Galleries. In 2015 there were over 55 members, who are professional artists.
Prior to the founding of the Pastel Society in London similar societies had been founded in New York City and Paris, as well as a predecessor in London. In 1882 The Society of Painters in Pastel was founded in New York by William Merritt Chase, Robert Frederick Blum, James Carroll Beckwith, Hugh Bolton Jones and Edwin Blashfield. Influenced by The Society of Painters in Pastel, in 1885 the Société des Pastellistes was founded by artists in Paris. The London Pastel Society held their first exhibition in 1888. The Society was organised by Sir John Coutts Lindsay, owner of the Grosvenor Gallery. Prominent members of The London Pastel Society were William Rothenstein and Philip Wilson Steer.
However all three predecessors were short lived. The Society of Painters in Pastel held its fourth and final exhibition in 1890. The Société des Pastellistes disappeared after holding ten or more annual exhibitions. The London Pastel Society did not survive beyond 1890 when its president Sir John Coutts Lindsay had to close the Grosvenor Gallery for financial reasons.
In addition to the early members and exhibitors noted above, other notable Members of The Pastel Society have included:
- "The Pastel Society". Artists & Illustrators. London: The Chelsea Magazine Company. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "The Pastel Society's Annual Show - Unison Colour". Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "About Us | Royal Society of British Artists". Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.); Bolger, Doreen (1989). American Pastels in the Metropolitan Museum of Art (illustrated ed.). New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art. pp. 6, 11, 12, 61. ISBN 9780870995477. In "About Us | Royal Society of British Artists". Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Gray, Sara (2009). The Dictionary of British Women Artists (illustrated ed.). Casemate Publishers. pp. 13, 29, 30, 36, 49, 72, 94. ISBN 9780718830847.
- "Art Q&A: Cheryl Culver of The Pastel Society". Luxury London. London: Runwild Media Group. 23 February 2016. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Reddin, Lorelei (22 July 2016). "Pastel Pleasure". Southern Daily Echo. Southampton. Retrieved 3 July 2017.