The Peel Session (Syd Barrett album)
|The Peel Session|
|EP by Syd Barrett|
|Released||25 January 1987|
|Recorded||24 February 1970|
|Label||Strange Fruit SFPS043|
|Syd Barrett chronology|
Syd Barrett: The Peel Session reissue cover
The Peel Session is a collection of recordings by Syd Barrett released on 25 January 1987. This EP contains the five songs he performed for the John Peel Top Gear show, recorded on 24 February 1970 and broadcast shortly after.
All songs written by Syd Barrett (with the possible exception of "Two of a Kind").[nb 1]
- "Terrapin" – 3:02
- "Gigolo Aunt" – 3:35
- "Baby Lemonade" – 2:37
- "Effervescing Elephant" – 0:57
- "Two of a Kind" (Rick Wright) – 2:28
- Syd Barrett – acoustic guitar, vocals
- David Gilmour – bass guitar, electric guitar, organ, backing vocals
- Jerry Shirley – percussion
- "Two of a Kind" was credited to Richard Wright on the original Peel Session release, but to Barrett on later releases, including The Best of Syd Barrett: Wouldn't You Miss Me?. Wright reportedly wrote the song but Barrett insisted it was his own composition (and wanted to include it on The Madcap Laughs). When asked about the matter in a 1996 interview, Wright's reply was enigmatic: "Can't answer, I am looking into this."
- Unterberger, Richie. "Peel Sessions - Syd Barrett : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Jones, Malcolm (2003). "The Making of The Madcap Laughs" (21st Anniversary ed.). Brain Damage. p. 13.
- Kellman, Andy. "Wouldn't You Miss Me?: The Best of Syd Barrett - Syd Barrett : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Manning, Toby (2006). The Rough Guide to Pink Floyd (1st ed.). London: Rough Guides. p. 234. ISBN 1-84353-575-0.
- Watkinson, Mike; Pete Anderson. Crazy Diamond: Syd Barrett & the Dawn of Pink Floyd. p. 92.
- "All The Wright Answers from Pink Floyd's Keyboardist 1996". pinkfloyd-co. Archived from the original on 14 February 2001. Retrieved 20 June 2013.