The People That Time Forgot (film)
|The People That Time Forgot|
US theatrical poster
|Directed by||Kevin Connor|
|Produced by||Max Rosenberg|
|Screenplay by||Patrick Tilley|
|Based on||The People That Time Forgot
by Edgar Rice Burroughs
|Music by||John Scott|
|Edited by||John Ireland
|Distributed by||American International Pictures|
The People That Time Forgot is a 1977 Technicolor fantasy/adventure film based on the novel The People That Time Forgot and Out of Time's Abyss by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It was produced by Britain's Amicus Productions and directed by Kevin Connor. Like Connor's other two Burroughs-derived films, The Land That Time Forgot and At the Earth's Core, the film was distributed in the United States by American International Pictures.
The film is a direct sequel to The Land That Time Forgot, which initiated the series in 1975. The story follows a rescue expedition, led by Patrick Wayne in search of his friend, played by Doug McClure, who had vanished many years before. The expedition lands on Caprona, the same fantastic prehistoric land where dinosaurs and barbarian tribes of men coexist.
Major Ben McBride (Patrick Wayne) organises a mission to the Antarctic wastes to search for his friend Bowen Tyler (Doug McClure) who has been missing in the region for several years. A British naval survey ship takes them to Caprona. McBride's party: the paleontologist Norfolk (Thorley Walters), gunner and mechanic Hogan (Shane Rimmer) and photographer Lady Charlotte 'Charlie' Cunningham (Sarah Douglas) fly over the mountain wall of Caprona in an amphibious aircraft, but are attacked by a pterodactyl and forced down.
They find themselves in a world populated by primitive warriors and terrifying prehistoric creatures, all of whom they must evade in order to get back safely to their ship. They meet a cave-girl, Ajor (Dana Gillespie), who can speak English (she was taught by Tyler); she leads them to the land of a race of samurai-like warriors called the Nargas, who are keeping Tyler prisoner. When the volcano that the Nargas worship erupts, they must escape the cataclysm engulfing the land. Tyler sacrifices himself to cover their retreat.
- Patrick Wayne as Ben McBride
- Doug McClure as Bowen Tyler
- Sarah Douglas as Charly
- Dana Gillespie as Ajor
- Thorley Walters as Norfolk
- Shane Rimmer as Hogan
- Tony Britton as Captain Lawton
- John Hallam as Chung-Sha
- David Prowse as Executioner
- Milton Reid as Sabbala
- Kiran Shah as Bolum
- Richard LeParmentier as Lieutenant Whitby
The film makes some notable changes from the book:
- The lost world is a "polar continent" rather than the interior of a polar island.
- Bowen dies in the film and Lisa (Lys in the novels) is already dead during the events of the film while they both survive in the novel.
- In the book, the ship's crew scale the mountains to come to the rescue.
- The book ends with two marriages; the film, none.
- The People That Time Forgot at the Internet Movie Database
- The People That Time Forgot at the TCM Movie Database
- The People That Time Forgot at AllMovie
- The People That Time Forgot at the American Film Institute Catalog
- Eccentric Cinema – Review