|Origin||Cardiff, London, Brighton, Bethesda|
|Associated acts||Super Furry Animals|
Y Peth (English language: The Thing) are a band formed in 2008 by Super Furry Animals drummer Dafydd Ieuan as "an excuse to spend large chunks of his time in a recording studio" while other members of the Super Furry Animals were busy with solo projects. Ieuan asked actor, and former Super Furry Animals lead singer, Rhys Ifans to provide vocals for several tracks he had written, and recruited eight other people for the group, including Super Furry Animals bassist Guto Pryce, Meilyr Gwynedd, Osian Gwynedd, Mick Hilton, Dic Ben and Kris Jenkins. Ben was in an early incarnation of the Super Furry Animals along with Ifans, while Jenkins frequently plays percussion for the Super Furries and has appeared on all the group's albums since 2001's Rings Around the World as well as contributing to the 1999 single "Northern Lites".
The group played their first concerts in 2008 in low-key venues in Wales before gigging in London and performing at that year's Green Man Festival. Debut album The Golden Mile was released in August 2008 to mixed reviews. The record's title refers to "the mile between the group's studio and the Grangetown region of Cardiff". A second album, Crystal Peth has been recorded but has yet to be released.
- Hodgkinson, Will (2008-08-22). "Sex, drink, rock 'n' Rhys Ifans with Welsh band the Peth". The Times. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Mugan, Chris (2008-08-15). "How Rhys Ifans is redefining the actor/musician crossover". The Independent. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "The Peth biography". BBC. 2008. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Gill, Andy (2008-08-29). "Album: The Peth, The Golden Mile (Strangetown)". The Independent. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Savage, Jon (2008-08-10). "Rock review: The Peth, The Golden Mile". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-01-03.[dead link]
- "Rhys Ifans teams up with Super Furry Animals for album and tour". NME. 2008-05-30. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Abrams, Jonny (11 June 2013). "Interview: The Earth". Rocksucker. Sinton Media Limited. Retrieved 23 May 2014.