The Pineapple Incident
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"The Pineapple Incident"|
|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1|
|Directed by||Pamela Fryman|
|Written by||Carter Bays & Craig Thomas|
|Original air date||November 28, 2005|
"The Pineapple Incident" is the tenth episode in the first season of the television series How I Met Your Mother. It originally aired on November 28, 2005. It is the highest viewed episode in season 1 and the second highest overall episode during the nine seasons of How I Met Your Mother. It is widely considered one of the best episodes in the entire series.
Barney, Marshall, and Lily criticize Ted for overthinking every aspect of his life, rather than simply acting on a whim. Barney convinces Ted to take five shots of 'Red Dragon' (a special blend by Carl the Bartender at MacLaren's); Ted claims that he can still function cognitively even under the influence of the alcohol, but shortly afterwards he blacks out. He wakes up the next morning with a girl he doesn't remember beside him in bed, a pineapple on his nightstand, and a sprained ankle. He also finds out that his coat has been partially burnt. Ted asks Marshall and Lily about the night, and Marshall and Lily tell him that he sang along with the jukebox in the bar while standing on a table. He also repeatedly drunk dialed Robin, who was on a date with a wealthy businessman. He fell off the table (explaining the sprained ankle), and Marshall and Lily took him up to his bed. However, they are surprised when Ted asks about the girl on the bed, and can shed no light on the pineapple or why Ted's coat is burnt. Ted calls Barney, thinking that he might know what had happened, and finds him sprawled in their bathtub.
Barney recounts that Ted reappeared at the bar around 1 a.m., but when he began to call Robin again, Barney lit Ted's coat on fire. After some more fun, he put Ted back into bed, and similarly has no idea who the mystery girl is. Ted finds that someone wrote on his arm, saying to call the number if Ted was found passed out somewhere. Ted calls the number and reaches the bartender, Carl, who fills in some more of the story: Ted again returned to the bar at 3:00 a.m., but Carl refused to serve him. Ted told Carl the meaning of the word "karaoke" and that he wanted to go see some penguins at the zoo, then suddenly called someone (presumably Robin) and told her come over and do something "crazy". Based on this information, Marshall, Lily, and Barney believe that the mysterious girl in Ted's bed is actually Robin, but as Ted goes to wake her up, Robin calls and tells him she is coming over to discuss the previous night.
The girl in bed, Trudy (Danica McKellar), wakes up, and explains her side of the story: Ted had caught her eye during his drunken dancing, and they exchanged numbers in the ladies' room of the bar (which Ted used by mistake). She told Ted the meaning of the word "karaoke" and about her love for penguins, explaining why Ted later mentioned these things to Carl. It was she whom he later called and invited over, not Robin. Ted tells Trudy to hide when Robin comes over to talk, and Trudy leaves via the fire escape before Ted can show her to Robin to prove that he has moved on. Future Ted explains that Trudy never responded to his subsequent message, and he never did work out where the pineapple came from, but it was delicious.
- Carter Bays later admitted he learned a lesson from this episode to not write themselves into a corner. The line "we never found out where the pineapple came from" was something they never should have said.
- The mystery of the pineapple was solved in a deleted scene from the season 9 episode "Daisy". The scene was released online by BuzzFeed. In the clip, The Captain has a pineapple on his porch, and explains to the gang that he practices the tradition of putting one outside as a "symbol of hospitality". This leads Ted to remember stealing an identical pineapple from The Captain's house in New York when he was very drunk.
- This episode was the most watched episode of the entire series' run, until the show's finale got more viewers.
- "The Top 10 How I Met Your Mother Episodes". IGN. 2014-04-07. Retrieved 2017-09-24.
- ""How I Met Your Mother" Episodes Rated By IMDb User Rating". IMDb. Retrieved 24 September 2017.
- Brian Ford Sullivan (2010-08-01). "Live at the Paley Center For Media: "How I Met Your Mother"". The Futon Critic.
- "The How I Met Your Mother pineapple thing has been solved". The A.V. Club. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- Schaefer, Megan (September 19, 2014). "'How I Met Your Mother' Pineapple Incident Mystery Explained By Ted In New Video". International Business Times. Retrieved September 26, 2014.