The Power of Love (Huey Lewis and the News song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"The Power of Love"|
Artwork for U.S. and continental European releases
|Single by Huey Lewis and the News|
|from the album Back to the Future: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack and Fore! (European and Japanese edition)|
|B-side||"Bad Is Bad"|
|Recorded||May 30, 1985|
|Genre||Pop rock, blue-eyed soul|
|Songwriter(s)||Huey Lewis, Chris Hayes, Johnny Colla|
|Producer(s)||Huey Lewis and the News|
|Huey Lewis and the News singles chronology|
"The Power of Love" is a 1985 single by Huey Lewis and the News, written for and featured in the 1985 blockbuster film Back to the Future which stars Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd. It gave the band their first number-one hit on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and their second number-one hit on the U.S. Top Rock Tracks chart and as a Double-A side was just outside the top ten on the British Singles Chart, where it appeared on UK editions of the band's fourth studio album, Fore!. The song was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 58th Academy Awards but lost to Lionel Richie's "Say You, Say Me".
Use in Back to the Future
The song appears early in Back to the Future as Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) skateboards to school. Later in the film, McFly and his band play a hard rock version of the song for a Battle of the Bands audition (at which a character played by Huey Lewis himself is judging and tells Marty's group that they are "just too darn loud") and later when Marty returns to his neighborhood. In the sequel, Back to the Future Part II, the 2015 version of Marty attempts to play the song on his guitar just after being fired but ends up playing it very poorly due to his damaged hand from his 1985 accident with a Rolls-Royce. Finally, it can be briefly heard playing in the car where Needles and his buddies are driving when Needles challenges Marty to the fate-determining car race near the end of Back to the Future Part III.
The music video shows the band playing in a nightclub ("Uncle Charlie's, a frequent stop for the band in their early career) with Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd) showing up in his DeLorean, apparently after time-traveling, and a couple stealing it for a joy ride. Lewis said filming took the entire day and night to complete, with the band finishing up at 3:00 AM.
Charts and certifications
"The Power of Love" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 chart at No. 46 for the week ending June 29, 1985, with Billboard calling the song "an out-of-the-box monster hit".
- List of number-one singles in Australia during the 1980s
- List of number-one singles of 1985 (Canada)
- List of Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles of 1985
- List of Billboard Mainstream Rock number-one songs of the 1980s
- DeKnock, Jan (August 23, 1985). "Huey Lewis and the News Rise to No. 1 Spot on 'Power of Love'". Chicago Tribune. Tribune Company. Retrieved January 30, 2009.
- http://www.hueylewisandthenews.com/wp/?page_id=1038 Huey Lewis Fan Q&A: March 27, 2017
- "Billboard Hot 100 Singles". Billboard. 97 (26): 64, 67. June 29, 1985. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- http://www.ultratop.be/nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Huey+Lewis+And+The+News&titel=The+Power+Of+Love&cat=s (Retrieved September 17, 2012)
- source: Pennanen, Timo: Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972. Helsinki: Kustannusosakeyhtiö Otava, 2006. ISBN 9789511210535. page: 280
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (November 9, 1985). "Billboard". Nielsen Business Media, Inc. – via Google Books.
- ""Power of Love" on the South African Singles Chart". Springbok Radio. November 22, 1985. Retrieved September 25, 2010.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- * Zimbabwe. Kimberley, C. Zimbabwe: singles chart book. Harare: C. Kimberley, 2000
- "RPM's Top 100 Singles of 1985". RPM. December 28, 1985. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- "1985 The Year in Music – Top Pop Singles". Billboard. 97 (52): T-21. December 28, 1985. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- "Top 100 Singles". Music Week. London, England: Spotlight Publications: 24. January 24, 1987.
- "Canadian single certifications – Huey Lewis & The News – Power of Love". Music Canada. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- "British single certifications – Huey Lewis & The News – Power of Love". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Power of Love in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Huey Lewis & The News – Power of Love". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.