The Power of One (song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
|"The Power of One"|
|Single by Donna Summer|
|from the album Soundtrack: Pokémon: The Movie 2000|
|Format||CD single, 12" single|
|Genre||Pop, soul, R&B, house|
|Length||3:50 (album version)|
|Writer(s)||Mark Chait, Mervyn Warren|
|Donna Summer singles chronology|
"The Power of One" is a song composed by Mervyn Warren and Mark Chait. It was performed by Donna Summer and is the theme song for the movie Pokémon: The Movie 2000. Pokémon: The Movie 2000, subtitled The Power of One, was released in late 1999 and was the second feature-length film based on the Japanese Pokémon video game series. It was also heard in the trailers for all 3 of the Kids WB released films.
The dramatic ballad was produced by renowned music producer David Foster. Summer and Foster had previously collaborated in 1996 on the song "Whenever There Is Love," the theme to the Sylvester Stallone film Daylight.
"The Power of One" was included as track 1 on the Pokémon 2000 soundtrack album and was released as two different CD singles in the United States. A number of dance remixes were also issued on vinyl to nightclub DJs. Following 1999's "I Will Go with You (Con te partirò)" and "Love Is the Healer" which both topped the US Hot Dance Club Play chart, the club remix of "The Power of One" became another dancefloor success for Summer, peaking at #2 on the same chart in 2000.
The Power of One was also Summer's return to the Atlantic Records label, some ten years after her highly successful album Another Place and Time, albeit for just this one-off single. Summer has not collaborated with either Atlantic Records or its parent label Warner Music since.
The song's lyrics were quoted numerous times by former 2012 Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain, including at the August 11 Republican debate. Cain has variously attributed the lyrics to "a poet" and has referred to "The Power of One" as "the closing song to the 2000 Olympics." However, the song is not included in the music list for the 2000 Olympics' closing ceremony 
US CD Single #1
- Donna Summer: "The Power Of One" (Album Version) - 3:50
- Ralph Schuckett: "The Legend Comes To Life" (from "The Power Of One" score) - 4:15
US CD Single #2
- "The Power of One" (Jonathan Peters' Club Mix) - 8:19
- "The Power of One" (Tommy Musto Vocal Mix) - 8:15
- "The Power of One" (Jonathan Peters' Sound Factory Club Mix) - 9:22
- "The Power of One" (Tommy Musto Gel Dub) - 6:26
US 12" single
- "The Power of One" (Jonathan Peters' Club Mix) - 8:16
- "The Power of One" (Jonathan Peters Radio Mix) - 3:21
- "The Power of One" (Tommy Musto Vocal Mix) - 8:12
- "The Power of One" (Musto Beats) - 2:44
US 2x12" promo single
- A1. "The Power of One" (Jonathan Peters Club Mix) - 8:16
- A2. "The Power of One" (Tommy Musto Vocal Mix) - 8:12
- B1. "The Power of One" (Jonathan Peters Sound Factory Mix) - 9:22
- B2. "The Power of One" (Tommy Musto Gel Dub) - 6:24
- C1. "The Power of One" (Jonathan Peters Sound Factory Dub) - 10:20
- C2. "The Power of One" (Jonathan Peters Drum-A-Pella) - 9:22
- D1. "The Power of One" (Jonathan Peters Bonus Beats) - 8:57
- D2. "The Power of One" (Tommy Musto Beats) - 2:44
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||2|
- Bouley, Charles Karel (2000-07-15). "Soundtracks and Film Score News". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- Amira, Dan (August 12, 2011) "The Mystery of Herman Cain and the Donna Summer Lyrics", Nymag.com. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- 2000 Olympics Closing Ceremony 'ography Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "Donna Summer – Chart history" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Donna Summer. Retrieved May 18, 2012.