The Power of the Dream
|"The Power of the Dream"|
|Single by Celine Dion|
|from the album Falling into You|
|Released||20 August 1996|
|Format||Mini CD single|
|Celine Dion singles chronology|
"The Power of the Dream" is a song by Canadian singer Celine Dion, released as a single in Japan on 20 August 1996. It was written and produced by David Foster, Linda Thompson, and Babyface for the opening ceremony of the 1996 Summer Olympics. Dion performed it in front of more than 100,000 people, in addition to over three and a half billion television viewers. She gave away the money she received for the occasion, to support Canadian athletes.
Background and release
The music video shows Céline Dion performing the song during the opening ceremony of the 1996 Summer Olympics with David Foster on the piano, accompanied by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and the Centennial Choir (Morehouse College Glee Club, Spelman College Glee Club and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus).
The single peaked at number 30 on the Oricon Singles Chart in Japan and was certified gold (75,000 copies sold). Although it was not released in other countries, many radio stations all over the world played "The Power of the Dream" and it even charted on some airplay charts.
The song was included on the limited editions of the Falling into You album in Asia and Australia. "The Power of the Dream" was also a B-side of "Because You Loved Me", "It's All Coming Back to Me Now", and "All by Myself" singles. It became available worldwide on Dion's 2000 compilation The Collector's Series, Volume One. In 2008, the song was included on the U.S. version of My Love: Essential Collection.
Dion performed the song during her 1996/1997 Falling Into You: Around the World tour.
Formats and track listings
Japanese CD single
- "The Power of the Dream" – 4:30
- "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" – 7:37
Personnel and credits
|Japan (Oricon Singles Chart)||30|
Certifications and sales
- Glatzer, Jenna (2005). Céline Dion: For Keeps. Andrews McMeel Publishing. ISBN 0-7407-5559-5.
- "The Power Of The Dream: Credits". Discogs. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- セリーヌ・ディオンのシングル売り上げランキング (in Japanese). Oricon. Archived from the original on 25 October 2014. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Palmarès de la chanson anglophone et allophone au Québec" (in French). BAnQ. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "The Power of the Dream 96.8.21 (SME)" (PDF) (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan. Retrieved 28 September 2014.