The Prayer Cycle
|The Prayer Cycle|
|Studio album by Jonathan Elias
featuring various artists
|Released||March 23, 1999 (U.S.)|
|Producer||Jonathan Elias, R. Walt Vincent|
The project, recorded and mixed by co-producer R. Walt Vincent, consists of a nine-part contemporary choral symphony in twelve languages (Hungarian, Hebrew, Latin, Swahili, Tibetan, Urdu, Mali, Spanish, German, French, Italian, and English).
Featured vocalists include Alanis Morissette, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Salif Keita, Linda Ronstadt, Ofra Haza, James Taylor, Richard Bona, Mah Damba, Yungchen Lhamo, and Perry Farrell, who were backed by Devin Provenzano, The American Boychoir and The English Chamber Orchestra & Chorus, conducted by Lawrence Schwartz.
Music from The Prayer Cycle was featured on the 1999 ABC documentary series called "The Century", which aired in six parts March 29 and April 1, 3, 5, 8 and 10.
The Prayer Cycle was played in its entirety for two Music from the Hearts of Space programs, "The Prayer Cycle" (program 536, originally aired September 10, 1999) and again as "Terror and Hope" (program 605, originally aired September 21, 2001) in response to the September 11, 2001 attacks. It has only ever been performed live once, by the Branford High School choir at Woolsey Hall in New Haven, Connecticut. The piece was conducted by choir director Cathyann Roding and performed by the choir (including featured soloists) and a 45-piece orchestra.
- "Mercy"- Hungarian and Swahili – Alanis Morissette and Salif Keita
- "Strength"- German – Richard Bona, Yungchen Lhamo, Perry Farrell, and Liz Constantine
- "Hope"- French – Alanis Morissette, Devin Provenzano, and The American Boychoir
- "Compassion"- Latin – Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Mah Damba
- "Grace"- Italian – James Taylor
- "Innocence"- French – Alanis Morissette and Salif Keita
- "Forgiveness"- French – Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Ofra Haza
- "Benediction"- Spanish – Linda Ronstadt and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
- "Faith"- German – Alanis Morissette and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
- Black, Johnny. "Review: Jonathan Elias – The Prayer Cycle". Q (EMAP Metro Ltd) (July 1999): 108.
- Program listing for The Prayer Cycle on the official Hearts of Space website, page found 2011-09-15.
- Program listing for "Terror and Hope" on the official Hearts of Space website, page found 2011-09-15.
|This classical music album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|