The Predator (film)
|Directed by||Shane Black|
|Produced by||John Davis|
|Music by||Henry Jackman|
|Edited by||Harry B. Miller III|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
The Predator is an upcoming American science-fiction action horror film directed by Shane Black and written by Black and Fred Dekker. It is the fourth installment in the Predator film series, following Predator (1987), Predator 2 (1990) and Predators (2010). Black had a supporting role in the original film, while John Davis returns as producer from the first three installments.
The film stars Boyd Holbrook, Trevante Rhodes, Jacob Tremblay, Keegan-Michael Key, Olivia Munn, Sterling K. Brown, Thomas Jane, and Alfie Allen. It completed filming in June 2017, and is set to be released on September 14, 2018 by 20th Century Fox in IMAX and Dolby Cinema as well as standard formats.
"A young boy (Jacob Tremblay) accidentally triggers an alert that brings the Predators back to Earth. The universe’s most lethal hunters have genetically upgraded themselves with DNA from other alien species and only a crew of former soldiers along with a disgruntled science teacher can stop the hunters before everybody becomes their prey."
- Boyd Holbrook as Quinn McKenna, Emily’s ex-husband, the father of Rory, and a former Army Ranger who discovers the existence of the fierce Predators but finds that no one believes they exist. James Franco was originally offered the role but passed on it before Benicio del Toro was cast, who later had to back out due to scheduling conflicts.
- Trevante Rhodes as Nebraska Williams, a former Marine who enlists in a special Predator-hunting operation headed up by Quinn, his best friend.
- Jacob Tremblay as Rory McKenna, Quinn and Emily's troubled son, who has a form of autism and is bullied in school but becomes a key player in the fight against the Predators due to his preternatural ability to learn languages.
- Keegan-Michael Key as Coyle, a man who teams up with Quinn and Williams to fight the Predators.
- Olivia Munn as Casey Bracket, a disgruntled science teacher and biologist who joins the crew's mission.
- Sterling K. Brown as Will Traeger, an agent who jails Quinn but later needs his help with fighting the Predators.
- Thomas Jane as Baxley, a military veteran from the Afghanistan and Iraq wars who is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Alfie Allen as Lynch, a former Marine who teams with several other outsiders, including Quinn, to stop the human-hunting Predators in suburbia.
- Augusto Aguilera as Nettles, a Former Blackhawk helicopter pilot who has suffered a traumatic brain injury from a crash.
- Yvonne Strahovski as Emily McKenna, Quinn's ex-wife and the mother to Rory.
- Jake Busey as Sean Keyes, the son of Peter Keyes.
- Niall Matter as Sapir
In June 2014, Fox announced a sequel which Shane Black, who also starred as supporting character Rick Hawkins in Predator, will direct and co-write with Fred Dekker, and John Davis will produce. Davis has said of the film that he thinks it is fresh and reimagines the franchise in a "different, interesting way". In February 2016, Black confirmed the title of the new sequel would be The Predator. Shane Black has referred to the project as an event film which aims to elevate the Predator series: "It's an attempt to 'event-ise' the Predator again... [An attempt to] make it more mysterious." Black also expressed that the film would mark a return to the "intimate" scale of the original film and that the film-makers hoped to achieve “the same sense of wonderment and newness that Close Encounters had when that came out.”
Black confirmed that the film is set in the present day and the titular character has upgraded armor. Black has also indicated that the film would be a sequel set in present-day 2018, following the events of Predator and Predator 2, but set prior to the events of the 2010 film Predators. He also mentioned that he looked for plot details set up in the previous Predator movies that he could retrospectively link back to with the new film. To that end, Jake Busey was cast as Sean Keyes, the son of Peter Keyes (a character who was portrayed by Busey's father Gary Busey in Predator 2). In February 2016, the studio revealed a teaser image of the film, confirming the title The Predator.
Martin Whist served as the film's production designer, while effects house Amalgamated Dynamics provided the creature effects for The Predator, having done so previously for the first two Alien vs. Predator films.
Chief-executive-officer of 20th Century Fox Stacey Snider talked a little about The Predator and her thoughts on Shane Black and Fred Dekker’s script:
|“||We’ve got a Predator film coming out that is unexpected and utterly fresh. I just imagined that it would take 500 hours to read the script — that it would be interior jungle, exterior more jungle and then fighting happens, but Emma [Watts] went out and recruited Shane Black. From the first page, it didn’t read like a Predator film. It’s set in suburbia. There’s a little boy and his dad at the center of the action.||”|
Arnold Schwarzenegger discussed with Black about returning to the film as his character after the first Predator film. Rapper 50 Cent also spoke of the possibility of being involved in the film but ended up dropping out. By September 2016, Benicio del Toro had signed on to star in the film. The following month, Boyd Holbrook replaced del Toro, who departed due to scheduling issues. In November 2016, Olivia Munn joined the cast. In January 2017, Trevante Rhodes, Keegan-Michael Key, Sterling K. Brown, Thomas Jane and Jacob Tremblay joined the cast. In February, Alfie Allen and Yvonne Strahovski were added to the cast. In March, the last main role was filled by Augusto Aguilera while Jake Busey was also cast in a supporting role.
In March 2017, Edward James Olmos had been cast as Sanchez, a military general. In August 2018, Olmos announced that his role had been cut from the final film, to reduce the film's long running time, as his character wasn't integral to the plot.
Filming was scheduled to begin in February 2017 in Vancouver, British Columbia. On November 21, 2016, Larry Fong was confirmed to be hired as cinematographer for the film. Black announced that filming began on February 20, 2017. Filming wrapped on June 2, 2017. Additional photography in Vancouver took place in March 2018. On July 6, 2018, the film's third act was entirely reshot due to test screenings.
The Predator was originally slated by 20th Century Fox for a March 2, 2018 release date, before the date was pushed forward to February 9, 2018. It was then pushed back to August 3, 2018. In February 2018, the released date was pushed back to September 14, 2018. The film will also be released in IMAX theatres. On May 10, 2018, the first trailer was released. A television spot was released on June 9, while second full trailer was released on June 26, 2018. The film will have its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, which will happen on September 6-16, 2018.
The producer, John Davis, says that The Predator will set up two sequels that he hopes Shane Black will return to direct. About this, Black said: "I would love to say we've been planning a trilogy, but I take one day at a time, in motion-picture terms that's one movie at a time."
- "Film releases". Variety Insight. Retrieved May 11, 2018.
- "The Predator at the Toronto International Film Festival". tiff. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- "Fox Moves Release of James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'". Variety. February 13, 2018. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- Alter, Ethan (March 6, 2017). "'Moonlight' Star Trevante Rhodes on His Crazy Oscars Night and Tackling 'The Predator'". Yahoo! Movies.
- Kit, Borys (January 5, 2017). "'Moonlight' Star Trevante Rhodes Joins Shane Black's 'The Predator'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kit, Borys (January 6, 2017). "Keegan-Michael Key Joining Shane Black's 'The Predator'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kit, Borys (January 19, 2017). "'People v. O.J. Simpson' Star Sterling K. Brown in Talks to Join Shane Black's 'Predator' Reboot". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kit, Borys (February 21, 2017). "'Game of Thrones' Actor Alfie Allen Joins Shane Black's 'The Predator'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Hipes, Patrick (March 3, 2017). "Augusto Aguilera Joins Hunt For 'The Predator'". Deadline Hollywood.
- Hipes, Patrick (March 10, 2017). "Jake Busey Joins Fox's 'The Predator'". Deadline Hollywood.
- Hill, Ruth (November 12, 2017). "Interview with Actor Niall Matter "Engaging Father Christmas"". Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Chitwood, Adam (June 25, 2014). "Shane Black Says His Predator Film Is a Sequel, Not a Reboot". Collider. Retrieved June 25, 2014.
- Chitwood, Adam (August 13, 2016). "Shane Black's 'Predator' Sequel Will 'Reinvent the Franchise', Says Producer John Davis". Collider. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Chitwood, Adam (February 16, 2016). "Shane Black's 'Predator' Sequel Is Called 'The Predator'; First Poster Revealed". Collider. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Patches, Matt (March 22, 2016). "'Nice Guys' Director Shane Black on Trailer, 'Doc Savage,' 'Predator' Reboot". Thrillist. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Nugent, John (May 19, 2016). "Shane Black Reveals Leader Character in The Predator". EmpireOnline.com. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Goldberg, Matt (April 13, 2016). "Shane Black Reveals When 'The Predator' Will Take Place". Collider. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Evry, Max (May 12, 2016). "Predator Costume Will Get Upgraded for Sequel". Coming Soon.net.
- Guidry, Ken (May 21, 2016). "Shane Black Talks More 'Predator' Details, Defending Mel Gibson, 'Lethal Weapon 5' & More". The Playlist.
- "Shane Black Talks The Predator's Place In Continuity". AVPGalaxy.net. May 28, 2016. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- "Here's everything we know about 'The Predator' movie". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "How The Predator Will Solidify The Series' Complicated Continuity, According To Shane Black". Cinemablend.com. May 2016. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- "'The Predator': Jake Busey Reveals He's Playing the Son of Gary Busey's 'Predator 2' Character". Slashfilm. June 27, 2017.
- "You Never Saw This Predator Teaser Image Coming". ComingSoon.net. February 16, 2016. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- "Martin Whist To Serve As Production Designer for The Predator". AVPGalaxy.net. July 27, 2016. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- "Amalgamated Dynamics Inc. to Provide Creature Effects for The Predator!". AVPGalaxy.net. August 8, 2016. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- Lang, Brent (20 September 2017). "Fox's Stacey Snider Gets Candid About Netflix, Diversity and the Future of Wolverine".
- The Gillinator (March 17, 2016). "Arnold to Discuss "The Predator" with Director Shane Black!". The Arnold Fans. Retrieved March 16, 2016.
- WEDR 99 JAMZ (27 March 2016). "99Jamz UnCensored 50 Cent". Retrieved 28 January 2017 – via YouTube.
- Kit, Borys. "Benicio Del Toro in Talks to Star in Shane Black's 'Predator' Reboot". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (October 11, 2016). "Boyd Holbrook to Replace Benicio del Toro in Fox's 'The Predator' Reboot". Variety.
- Kit, Borys (November 3, 2016). "Olivia Munn Joining Boyd Holbrook in Shane Black's 'Predator' Reboot". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kit, Borys (January 5, 2017). "'Moonlight' Star Trevante Rhodes Joins Shane Black's 'The Predator'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kit, Borys (January 23, 2017). "Thomas Jane in Talks to Join Shane Black's 'Predator' Movie". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kit, Borys (January 25, 2017). "Jacob Tremblay to Star in Shane Black's 'Predator' Movie". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kit, Borys (January 25, 2017). "Jacob Tremblay to Star in Shane Black's 'Predator' Movie". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 25, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (February 22, 2017). "Yvonne Strahovski Joins Shane Black's 'The Predator'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Jake Busey
- Hipes, Patrick (3 March 2017). "Augusto Aguilera Joins Hunt For 'The Predator'".
- Kit, Borys (March 24, 2017). "Edward James Olmos Joins Shane Black's 'Predator' Reboot". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Squires, John (November 15, 2017). "Edward James Olmos Talks 'The Predator'; "So Crazy" and "Really Funny"". Bloody Disgusting.
- Topel, Fred (August 4, 2018). "Edward James Olmos Has Been Cut Out of 'The Predator', But He's Okay With That". /Film.
- Perry, Spencer (November 7, 2016). "Filming Locations for Deadpool 2, The Predator, and Aquaman". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved November 8, 2016.
- Sciretta, Peter (November 21, 2016). "Larry Fong to Shoot Shane Black's 'The Predator'". /Film.
- @BonafideBlack (February 20, 2017). "Partial cast... beautiful human beings, good people. Also, killers. Cameras roll today. Follow me on Twitter for updates. Wish us luck" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "The Predator Wraps Filming Today!". AvPGalaxy.
- Cotter, Padraig (July 6, 2018). "The Predator Reshoots Reportedly Added Links To Previous Movies". ScreenRant. Retrieved July 13, 2018.
- D'Orazio, Dante (February 28, 2016). "The Predator set for March 2nd, 2018, Gambit and Alien: Covenant get new release dates". The Verge. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- Romano, Nick (February 28, 2016). "Predator sequel lands March 2018 release date". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- "Release Dates for Alita: Battle Angel, Predator and Marvel Films". ComingSoon.net. May 29, 2016. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Chitwood, Adam (April 22, 2017). "'The Predator' Release Date Pushed to Summer 2018". Collider. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- "Fox's Untitled Marvel Project, 'Maze Runner' Sequel to Receive IMAX Releases". Variety. February 21, 2017. Retrieved September 27, 2016.
- "The Predator – Official Trailer". YouTube. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (August 9, 2018). "'Predator,' 'Halloween,' 'Fahrenheit 11/9' to Premiere at Toronto Film Festival". variety. Retrieved August 9, 2018.