The President (South Korean TV series)
|Written by||Son Young-mok |
|Directed by||Kim Hyung-il|
|Starring||Choi Soo-jong |
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Producer(s)||Shin Chang-suk |
|Running time||Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:05 (KST)|
|Original network||KBS 2TV|
|Original release||15 December 2010 –|
24 February 2011
|Preceded by||The Fugitive: Plan B|
|Followed by||The Thorn Birds|
The President (Korean: 프레지던트; RR: Peurejideonteu; lit. President) is a South Korean television series starring real-life married couple Choi Soo-jong and Ha Hee-ra as Korea's president and his first lady. This is their first acting collaboration. It aired on KBS2 from December 15, 2010 to February 24, 2011 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:05 for 24 episodes.
The drama follows the presidential election process to shed light on the right way of politics, the qualifications of a future Korean president, and also the personal tribulations and ambitions of politicians hidden behind the power struggles. Three months before the presidential nominating convention, Jang Il-joon, from the New Wave Party, declared his candidacy. On that same day, a woman died in a gas explosion in Sam-Chuk. There is little doubt that the accident and the nomination of Jang Il-joon are related. Meanwhile, Yoo Min-ki, a documentary producer, heard of his mother's sudden death and headed for Sam-Chuk. As he cast his mother's ashes in the sea, he thought of his childhood: his father always blurt out that Min-ki was not his own son whenever he was drunk. Min-ki believed that his father was telling the truth because he had seen his mother tearing up and looking at an old photograph of a man often. Min-ki discovered that the photograph was gone when he was cleaning up his mother's belongings. After the funeral, Min-ki returned to Seoul and Jang Il-joon asked Min-ki to work as a PR agent to record the election campaign process. Min-ki asked Il-joon why he was chosen, and Il-joon confessed that Min-ki was his son. The man in the picture Min-ki had seen was Jang Il-joon. However, Min-ki felt something had gone wrong as he realized that the picture had disappeared. Now Min-ki suspects that his mother's death was not an accident and that Jang Il-joon had actually killed her.
- Choi Soo-jong as Jang Il-joon
- Ha Hee-ra as Jo So-hee
- Jay Kim as Yoo Min-ki
- Wang Ji-hye as Jang In-young
- Lee Sungmin as Jang Sung-min
- Kang Shin-il as Lee Chi-soo
- Im Ji-eun as Oh Jae-hee
- Lee Doo-il as Hong Sung-goo
- Kim Heung-soo as Ki Soo-chan
- Park Mi-jin as Jang Se-bin
- Shin Choong-shik as Jo Tae-ho
- Choi Dong-joon as Jo Sang-jin
- Kim Ye-ryeong as Yoo Jung-hye
- Kang Shin-jo as Hwang Chul-woo
- Jung Han-yong as Lee Soo-myung
- Yang Hee-kyung as Choi Jung-im
- Byun Hee-bong as Go Sang-ryul
- Lee Ki-yeol as Park Eul-sub
- Kim Jung-nan as Shin Hee-joo
- Hong Yo-seob as Kim Kyung-mo
- Kim Kyu-chul as Baek Chan-ki
- Jung Dong-hwan as Han Dae-woon (cameo)
- Han, Sang-hee (10 December 2010). "Star couple shows presidential life". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- Lee, Ga-on (10 December 2010). "PREVIEW: KBS TV series PRESIDENT". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- Kim, Heidi (8 November 2011). "Super Junior Sungmin cast in new drama President". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-03-29.