The Pride of Spitalfields
The Pride of Spitalfields (formerly The Romford Arms) is a public house at 3 Heneage Street in Spitalfields and is in the East End and in East London, just off Brick Lane. It was associated with a Jack the Ripper suspect.
The pub has existed since at least the middle of the 19th century, if not always under that name. Heneage Street itself appears to have been created between 1802 and 1822 according to available maps.
In the 1889 Post Office Trade Directory, 3 Heneage Street, on the north side of the road, was listed as a Beer Retailer, with proprietor James Stewart. The adjacent site to the east, 5 Heneage Street, now a house and artist's studio, was the site of the Best & Co. brewery, which closed in 1902.
Jack the Ripper
One of the suspects named by researchers, James Hardiman, a 'cats meat vendor', lived at 13 Heneage Street, and drank at the Romford Arms.
Another, more notable, witness and Ripper suspect, George Hutchinson, made statements that some researchers have suggested he had been drinking at The Romford Arms on the night of 9 November 1888 prior to meeting one of the victims.
In 1999, artist and musician Piers Wardle launched 'Nine Planets in Alignment' (by Wardle, Michael Daykin, and Micalef, for the Attaché Gallery) at the pub.
In 2003, the pub was damaged in a petrol bomb attack.
- "Fairburn, ' London and Westminster' Map, 1802".
- "Carey, 'New Pocket Plan of London Westminster and Southwark', 1822".
- "Romford Harms, 3 Heneage Street, Spitalfields E1". pubshistory.com.
- "East London Brewery History by the Brewery History Society". pigsear.co.uk. Campaign for Real Ale. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Cousin Jack".
- Rob Hills & Adrian Stockton (June 2006). "Cousin Jack". Ripperologist (68).
- "The CAMRA East London & City Beer Guide 1983". Campaign for Real Ale.
- "The CAMRA East London & City Beer Guide 1986". Campaign for Real Ale.
- "Pair burnt in petrol bomb attack". BBC News. 18 June 2003. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Branch Diaries". London Drinker Magazine. 35 (3): 5. 22 May 2013.