Royal Drawing School
The Royal Drawing School is an educational organisation and registered charity in the London Borough of Hackney in England. It was founded in 2000 by the Prince of Wales as The Prince's Drawing School and received its current name in 2014.
The aim of the Royal Drawing School is to raise the standard and profile of drawing through teaching and practice. It is one of only a few institutions in the world offering in-depth, quality tuition for those who wish to develop their observational drawing skills.
As well as a Postgraduate Programme, the School runs a broad range of affordable courses designed for both professional artists and other interested adults, including master classes in the life room, in museums and galleries and in the streets and parks of London. Drawing instruction is delivered by distinguished artists and teachers from leading institutions including the Royal Academy Schools, Central Saint Martins, the Royal College of Art and the Slade. Over 3,000 students have attended classes since 2000; there are over 130 alumni of the Postgraduate Programme. The School, founded by the Prince of Wales, is based on the top floor of a converted warehouse in Shoreditch, an area rich in galleries and design studios.
The School also aims to make it possible for every child with an aptitude for drawing to achieve their potential. The School provides serious, sustained tuition and mentoring, for children aged 10–14, from all backgrounds, through affordable programmes which are provided when and where it works for students.
The Royal Drawing School is part of The Prince's Charities, a group of not-for-profit organizations of which the Prince of Wales is President: 17 of the 19 charities were founded personally by the Prince.
In 2006 The Prince's Drawing School received a donation of £85,000 from The Prince's Charities Foundation.
Sites and Collaborations
The Royal Drawing School has five campuses across London; in Shoreditch, Oxford Street, South Kensington and Trinity Buoy Wharf. The School also collaborates with a number of institutions including The National Gallery, The British Museum, Royal Academy of Arts, National Portrait Gallery, V&A and the Saatchi Gallery.
- Charity Commission. Royal Drawing School, registered charity no. 1101538.
- Knox, James (18 November 2014). "Royal Drawing School receives official title from The Queen". The Art Newspaper. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Facilities | The Royal Drawing School". The Royal Drawing School. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Educational Partners | The Royal Drawing School". The Royal Drawing School. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- The Princes Drawing School Alumni - Carl Randall, The Princes Drawing School, The Princes Foundation, 2002
- The Royal Drawing School Alumni 2002/03, The Princes Drawing School, The Princes Foundation, 2002
- The Princes Drawing School Alumni 2004, The Royal Drawing School, The Princes Foundation, 2004