The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC)
|The Prince Edward Island Regiment|
Cap badge of the PEIR
|Size||One regiment (140 soldiers)|
|Part of||36 Canadian Brigade Group|
|Motto(s)||Latin: Parva sub ingenti "The small under the protection of the great"|
|Colors||Gold and black|
|March||"Old Solomon Levi"|
|Battle honours||South Africa, 1900; Arras, 1917, '18; Ypres, 1917; Amiens; Hindenburg Line; Pursuit to Mons; North-West Europe, 1944–1945; Afghanistan|
|LCol S Wynne|
|Colonel-in-chief||Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex|
The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC) is a Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment of the Canadian Forces, 5th Canadian Division, 36 Canadian Brigade Group. The regiment is based in Charlottetown and Summerside, Prince Edward Island.
The PEIR perpetuates the following units of the Canadian Expeditionary Force:
- 1st Brigade, Canadian Garrison Artillery, CEF
- No. 2 Canadian Siege Battery, CEF
- No. 8 Canadian Siege Battery, CEF
- 105th Battalion (Prince Edward Island Highlanders), CEF
In 1946 the amalgamation of The Prince Edward Island Light Horse and The Prince Edward Island Highlanders created The Prince Edward Island Regiment, 17th Reconnaissance Regiment.
The Prince Edward Island Regiment was amalgamated with the 28th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment in 1955.
The Prince Edward Island Regiment is organized into the following components:
- Regimental Headquarters
- Recce Squadron
- Headquarters Squadron
Battle honours in small capitals are for large operations and campaigns and those in lowercase are for more specific battles. Bold type indicates honours emblazoned on the regimental guidon.
- South African War
- South Africa, 1900
- First World War
- Second World War
- North-West Europe, 1944–1945
- South-West Asia
|Volkswagen/Bombardier Iltis||light utility vehicle||1985–2004||Volkswagen, Germany||optional M101 trailer unit; replaced by G-Wagen|
|LUVW C&R (G-Wagen) 4 × 4||light utility vehicle||2004-||Mercedes-Benz, Germany||replaced the Iltis light trucks in Afghanistan|
|LUVW MILCOTS (Milverado) - 2003 Silverado Basic model 861 (GM K25943HD)||light utility vehicle||2003-||Chevrolet, USA||replacing the Iltis jeeps in North American operations only|
|C9||light machine gun|
|Colt Canada C7 rifle||personal weapon||1984-||Diemaco/Colt Canada|
Order of precedence
|The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC)||Succeeded by
The Royal Canadian Hussars (Montreal)
The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC) Museum
|Location||Queen Charlotte Armouries, P.O. Box 1480, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N1 Canada|
The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC) Museum collects, preserves, displays and studies the military history of the founding units of The Prince Edward Island Regiment, from the Islands formation (founding). The main concentration is on the period 1870 until the present. The RCAC museum is located at the Queen Charlotte Armouries in Charlottetown, PEI.
- Canadian Forces Publication A-DH-267-003/AF-001 -- Part One: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments
- "The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC)". Official Lineages Volume 3, Part 1: Armour, Artillery and Field Engineer Regiments – Armour Regiments. Directorate of History and Heritage. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "South-West Asia Theatre Honours". Office of the Prime Minister of Canada. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- A-AD-266-000/AG-001 Canadian Forces Museums –Operations and Administration 2002-04-03