The Princess Weiyoung
|The Princess Wei yang|
|Based on||The Poisonous Daughter by Qin Jian|
|Written by||Cheng Tingyu|
|Directed by||Li Huizhu|
|Opening theme||If Heaven Has Compassion by A-Lin|
|Ending theme||Heavenly Gift by Tiffany Tang and Luo Jin|
|Country of origin||China|
|No. of episodes||54|
|Production company(s)||Croton Media|
Feng Jing Media
|Original network||Dragon TV |
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i, SDTV 576i|
|Original release||11 November –|
9 December 2016
The Princess Wei yang (Chinese: 锦绣未央; pinyin: Jin Xiu Wei Yang) is a 2016 Chinese television series starring Tiffany Tang in the title role, alongside Luo Jin, Vanness Wu, Mao Xiaotong and Li Xinai. It is adapted from the novel The Poisonous Daughter (Chinese: 庶女有毒) by Qin Jian and is a fictionalized account of Emperor Wencheng of Northern Wei's reign and Empress Feng (Wencheng)'s regency. The series aired on Dragon TV and Beijing TV from 11 November to 9 December 2016.
The series received mixed reviews. It was praised for its tight plot and fast storyline and vivid character personas. It was also praised for showcasing the story of growth of a strong and independent female lead, as well as fleshing out the background stories of various supporting characters. Viewership ratings also reached as high as 2%, making it one of the highest rated drama of 2016. However it was criticized for its cliché plot devices, illogical plot details, use of excessive and inappropriate makeup, and dubbing of actors' voices.
During the chaotic Northern and Southern Dynasties, in Northern Liang's royal family lived a princess named Feng Xin'er (Tiffany Tang) who was kind, carefree and loved by all. Chiyun Nan, a marshal from the Chiyun clan of Northern Wei, takes it upon himself to overrun Northern Liang for his greed and turned it into a bloodbath, killing almost the entire royal family and forcing the princess to survive on her own.
Li Wei yang, the daughter of the Prime Minister of Northern Wei, shielded the princess from harm. However, Weiyoung dies protecting Xin'er due to the fact that the Chiyun family is not pleased when it is time to recall her back to their family manor, and the latter (Xin'er) assumes Weiyoung's identity to reside in her home, where she is disliked and shunned by Li Changle and her mother Chiyun Ruo. She thus took it upon herself to fight against the Chiyun clan and unexpectedly, became entangled with Northern Wei's prince, Tuoba Jun (Luo Jin). She also attracts the eye of Tuoba Yu (Vanness Wu) who sees her as a chess piece to his ultimate aim of being Emperor. Through her struggles, she gains wisdom and is finally able to find peace for her family and live true to her heart.
|Tiffany Tang||Li Wei yang / Feng Xin'er||
Kind, bright and intelligent, she became cold and vengeful after her kingdom is destroyed and her family is assassinated. Being in reality the princess of Northern Liang, she assumed her friend Weiyoung's identity as the illegitimate daughter of Prime Minister Li, in order be able to avenge her own family as well as Weiyoung. In the process she falls in love with the Emperor's grandson without knowing his status at first, then tries to rebuff him when she realizes who he is.
|Luo Jin||Tuoba Jun||Prince Gaoyang|
Bright, sunny and compassionate, Tuoba Jun is the Emperor's favorite grandson as well as the deceased Crown Prince's son. As a result, he is targeted by the Emperor's sons, Tuoba Han and Tuoba Yu. However, he doesn’t care about royal politics. His sincerity and unwavering love towards Weiyoung despite her desire for revenge makes her fall for him.
|Vanness Wu||Tuoba Yu||Prince Nanan |
Cunning, ruthless and cold-blooded, Tuoba Yu's greatest ambition is to become the Emperor and rule the world. He is attracted by Weiyoung's intelligence and wit, and plans to use her as a chess piece to realize his ambitions. However, he soon falls for her, and is willing to go to extreme lengths to have her by his side.
|Mao Xiaotong||Li Changru||
Daughter of the 2nd aunt of the Li Family. Weiyoung's younger cousin.
|Li Xinai||Li Changle||
Daughter of Chiyun Rou and Li Xiaoran. Wei yang's elder half-sister.
People in palace
|Canti Lau||Tuoba Tao||
Emperor Taiwu of Northern Wei.
|Wan Meixi||Empress of Northern Wei|
|Ding Ziling||Lu Zhaoyi||Tuoba Tao's concubine and Tuoba Yu's mother.|
|Wang Yujing||Tuoba Huang||Former Crown Prince. |
Tuoba Jun's deceased father.
He was framed by Zong Ai and imprisoned by the Emperor, and died of acute illness shortly after.
|Xu Rongzhen||Crown Princess||Tuoba Jun's mother.|
|Zhang Tianyang||Tuoba Han||Prince Dongping|
He tries to murder Tuoba Jun on the hunting grounds by setting a hidden trap, which Changle uses as well to get rid of Weiyoung after discovering it. In an attempt to take down Tuoba Yu, who he saw as a threat in his ambitions to become the successor, Tuoba Han frames Weiyoung for attempting to poison the Empress. When the truth of all his schemes and the collusion with local authorities to enclose lands for personal gains was exposed, the Emperor was about to have him and those involved executed, but instead he was abolished as a civilian and confined in his own manor.
|Chen Yuqi||Tuoba Di||Ninth Princess|
She initially dresses as a man to make fun of Li Minde, thinking he was the one who wanted her hand in marriage. After learning archery and spending time with him, she falls in love with him. Although her love was initially un-reciprocated, she takes it in stride and continued to help Li Minde protect Weiyoung. In the end, she gets together with Li Minde after nearly losing her life.
|Hou Ruixiang||Zong Ai||
The Emperor's personal eunuch.
|Meng Fei||Gao Yun|
|Rui Weihang||Cheng De||Tuoba Jun's subordinate.|
He likes Jun Tao.
|Wu Hong||Cheng An||Tuoba Yu's subordinate.|
|Zhang Yuechi||Jiang Zuo||Tuoba Han's subordinate.|
|Guan Shan||Qiu Yi||Personal servant of Crown princess.|
|Liu Fenggang||Physician Liu|
|Han Yan||Head Attendant Liang|
|Li Jiaxi||Cai Ping|
|Wang Liyuan||Old Granny Li||Li Weiyoung's grandmother.|
|Bai Fan||Li Xiaoran||Prime Minister of Northern Wei. |
Li Weiyoung's father.
|Lily Tien||Chiyun Rou||First lady of the Li family. Li Xiaoran's wife; Li Minfeng and Li Changle's birth mother.|
An evil woman who conspires to kill Weiyoung so that she will not overshadow Changle. She dies from poisoning herself in a scheme to rid of Weiyoung.
|Hu Caihong||Wen Weiyi||
Second lady of the Li Family. Li Changru and Li Changxi's birth mother.
|Wang Wanjuan||Zhou Xuemei||
Third lady of the Li Family. Li Minde's adoptive mother.
|Liu Jie||Seventh Madame||Li Weiyoung's birth mother.|
A kind woman, she discovers that Xin'er is not the real Weiyoung but helps keep her secret, and decides to consider Xin'er as her daughter after she confronts her for the truth.
|Nan Fulong||Li Minfeng||Eldest son of the Li family.|
He is power-hungry and manipulative. He uses Zi Yan to harm Weiyoung, and dumps her after that. He is killed by Jun Tao after an elaborate plot set up by Weiyoung to avenge Zi Yan's death at his hands.
|Li Yixiao||Li Weiyoung (real)||Second mistress of the Li household. |
She was thrown out of the Li household as she was born on an inauspicious date. Li Weiyoung saves Feng Xin'er's life and is killed not long after. After Weiyoung's death, Xin'er assumes her identity to avenge both the murder of her father and grandmother, and also Weiyoung herself.
|Peng Doudou||Li Changxi||Fourth young mistress of the Li family.|
She likes to eat, and often sucks up to Li Changle.
|Zhou Meiyi||Chun Ming||Chiyun Rou's accomplice and personal servant.|
|Mu Le'en||Bai Zhi||Li Weiyoung's loyal servant.|
She later dies at the hands of Li Changru.
|Tian Yixi||Zi Yan||Li Weiyoung's personal servant.|
She betrays Weiyoung after being manipulated by Li Minfeng. She falls pregnant with his child, and ends up in his household where she is mistreated daily by him. She was rescued by Zhou Xuemei, and died in Weiyoung's arms.
|Peng Yingying||Cui'er||Seventh Madame's personal servant.|
|Jin Pohan||Rong'er||Li Changru's loyal servant who is her accomplice in killing Bai Zhi.|
|Chang Shixin||Tan Xiang||Li Changle's personal servant.|
|Wang Tianhong||Liu Hong||Li Changxi's personal servant.|
|Dai Chunrong||Madame Liu||Li Weiyoung's care taker.|
She mistreats Weiyoung and after her death, agrees to help pass Xin'er off as Weiyoung to prevent her family from being harmed. She later betrays Xin'er and reveals the deception after being threatened by Chiyun Rou.
|Zhu Xingyu||Ping An||Li Minde's subordinate.|
|Tan Songmei||Mother Luo||Old Granny Li's personal servant.|
|Tang Jiayang||Old Granny Chiyun|
|Jin Han||Chiyun Nan||Great general of Northern Wei. Chiyun Rou's nephew.|
He plotted and framed King Hexi of Northern Liang for rebellion in order to satisfy his greed. He eventually works for Tuoba Yu after he saves his life.
|Ji Xiaobing||Chiyun Si|
|Zhang Shenghao||Chiyun Wei|
|Yang Zuqing||Hong Luo||Chiyun Nan's faithful follower who is in love with him.|
|Leanne Liu||Queen Dowager||Feng Xin'er's loving grandmother who sacrifices herself to protect her granddaughter.|
|Tan Kai||King Hexi of Northern Liang||Feng Xin'er's father who was framed for staging a coup and killed by Chiyun Nan.|
|Sun Wei||Uncle Ming||Head of the royal guards. Jun Tao's father.|
He killed by Chiyun Nan.
|Wang Yanzhi||Jun Tao||Feng Xin'er's royal bodyguard.|
She later continues to stay by her side as a confidante, after Xin'er assumed Weiyoung's identity. She likes Cheng De.
|Zhang Hengping||Fortune Teller Monk|
|Liang Zhenlun||Li Minde / Prince Yuan Lie||Crown Prince of Rou Ran. |
He was adopted as the second young master of Li Family by Zhou Xuemei. He likes Weiyoung initially, but later falls for Tuoba Di.
|Wang Wei||Princess An Le||Yuan Lie's younger sister.|
|Li Ang||General Jiao||Minister of Rou Ran Kingdom. |
He secretly trails and protects Li Minde / Yuan Lie.
- If Heaven Has Compassion (天若有情) – A-Lin
- Heavenly Gift (天赋) – Tiffany Tang and Luo Jin
- Next Life (來生) – Li Qi
- Fate Because of Me (緣因我) – Jin Han
- Growing Old Interdependently (白首相依) – Jin Chi and Sun Bolun
- Illuminating Jade Treasury of Wisdom (玉燭寶典) – Cui Zige
- A Lifetime of Waiting (一輩子守候) – Hana Kuk
Awards and nominations
|8th China TV Drama Awards||Most Popular Actor||Luo Jin||Won|
|Most Popular Actress||Tiffany Tang||Won|
|Most Charismatic Actor on the Screen||Vanness Wu||Won|
|2nd China Quality Television Drama Ceremony||Audience Favorite TV Series (Dragon TV)||Won|||
|Most Marketable Actress||Tiffany Tang||Won|
|Media's Most Anticipated Actor||Luo Jin||Won|
|Media's Most Anticipated Actress||Tiffany Tang||Won|
|22nd Huading Awards||Best Actress||Won|||
|Best Actor (Ancient)||Luo Jin||Nominated|
|5th Annual DramaFever Awards||Best Chinese Language Drama||The Princess Weiyoung||Won|
|Best Supporting Actress||Mao Xiaotong||Nominated|
|Best Villain||Vanness Wu||Nominated|
The author of the source novel was involved in a plagiarism case, where it was alleged that she used a software to copy over hundreds of other works to create her own novel. An alliance formed by 12 writers, including famed wuxia novelist Woon Swee Oan, teamed up together to sue Qin Jian. According to Beijing News, a group of volunteers compared The Poisonous Daughter (Chinese: 庶女有毒) with more than 200 other novels. They found that out of 294 chapters, only nine chapters were original.
On May 8, 2019, the Chaoyang District People's Court has declared Qin Jian is guilty of infringing the works of Shen Wenwen, who wrote the novel 身历六帝宠不衰 that The Poisonous Daughter has copied from. Qin Jian has to compensate Shen Wenwen a total amount of 136,500 yuan for economic loss and intellectual copyright protection within 10 days from the verdict. Moreover, she must immediately cease sales and distribution of the novel upon the day the sentence that is handed down.
- 8TV – 21 February 2017 (weekdays, 8:30 p.m.)
- MediaCorp Channel 8 – 3 June 2017 (2 episodes back-to-back every Sat, 10:30 p.m.)
- TVB Jade – 23 January 2017 (weekdays, 7p.m.)
- Chunghwa TV – 19 December 2016 (weekdays, 10p.m.)
- GTV Drama – 8 May 2017 (weekdays, 10p.m.)
- Oh!K – Coming Soon (2 episodes back-to-back every Thursday-Saturday, 6p.m)
- ThaiPBS - 13 January 2019 (Sat - Sun 8.15 p.m.)
- NTV7 - 4 June 2019 (weekdays, 1a.m.)
- "New TV series features heartthrob actors, royal tension". China Daily. November 7, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》定档1111 唐嫣颠覆性演绎震撼来袭. Tencent (in Chinese). 2016-10-24.
- 《锦绣未央》成唐嫣罗晋定情之作 打造视听盛宴. Tencent (in Chinese). December 7, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》将结局 唐嫣罗晋陷血色宫变. Sina (in Chinese). December 9, 2016.
- 《亲爱的翻译官》领衔！2016年收视率最高的十部电视剧. China Daily (in Chinese). Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- 《锦绣未央》热播吐槽多 套路让人不满但节奏很赞. Tencent (in Chinese). November 14, 2016.
- 吴建豪加盟《锦绣未央》 饰演腹黑王爷拓跋余. Netease (in Chinese). October 20, 2015.
- "毛晓彤《云中歌》疑与Angelababy反目". Sina (in Chinese). August 31, 2015.
- 《锦绣未央》将播 李心艾为罗晋痴狂虐恋. Sina (in Chinese). November 11, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》热播 “拓跋焘”刘锡明圈粉获赞. Sohu (in Chinese). December 7, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》万美汐饰演皇后端庄大气. Sina (in Chinese). December 5, 2016.
- 丁子玲《锦绣未央》颜智并存 戏外很亲和气. Sina (in Chinese). December 8, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》太子妃许榕真惊艳驾到. Sina (in Chinese). November 11, 2016.
- 张天阳《锦绣未央》变身单纯呆萌王爷. Sina (in Chinese). November 21, 2016.
- 陈钰琪《锦绣未央》初登场 形象清新亮丽. Sina (in Chinese). November 15, 2016.
- "芮伟航《锦绣》实力护主与罗晋演主仆CP". Sina (in Chinese). November 23, 2016.
- 吴弘《锦绣未央》足智多谋变冷面智囊. Sina (in Chinese). November 24, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》开播 白凡胡彩虹成演技担当. Sina (in Chinese). November 14, 2016.
- 田丽《锦绣未央》杀青 护子心切母性爆棚. Sina (in Chinese). March 9, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》结局 刘洁终于苦尽甘来. Sina (in Chinese). December 14, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》彭豆豆上线 成李府美食博主. Sina (in Chinese). November 15, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》周美毅阴狠毒辣与唐嫣互殴. Sina (in Chinese). November 14, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》穆乐恩忠心护住惨遭毒手. Sina (in Chinese). December 5, 2016.
- "《锦绣未央》开播 田一希从刘涛心腹变唐嫣闺蜜date=November 11, 2016". Netease (in Chinese).
- 彭莹莹加盟《锦绣未央》 与唐嫣成“患难同盟”. Sohu (in Chinese). January 25, 2016.
- "《锦绣未央》反派叱云南意外走红 揭演技小生金瀚神秘出身". China Radio International. December 1, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》杨祖青招数层出 观众:好可怕. Sina (in Chinese). November 24, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》孙玮饰演忠臣良将追随唐嫣. Sina (in Chinese). November 14, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》收官 王妍之重塑女人魅力. Sina (in Chinese). December 13, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》梁振伦霸气舍江山护唐嫣. Sina (in Chinese). November 28, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》安乐公主被赞 王伟熟悉的任性. Tencent (in Chinese). December 5, 2016.
- 《锦绣未央》杀青 李昂演绎双面枭雄. Sina (in Chinese). April 5, 2016.
- 品质盛典：孙俪着戏装现身 胡歌现场致敬老艺术家. NetEase (in Chinese). 2017-03-03.
- 华鼎奖提名公布投票开启 《人民》吴刚陆毅齐入围. Sina (in Chinese). 2017-04-28.
- 第22届电视华鼎奖获奖名单公布. Sina (in Chinese). May 18, 2017.
- ""The Princess Weiyoung" goes to court". Yahoo. 2017-04-26.
- 《锦绣未央》被指用软件抄袭219部作品. Sina (in Chinese). 2016-11-28.
- "Writer sued over alleged plagiarism". China Daily. January 9, 2017.
- 《锦绣未央》侵权首案宣判 作者被判赔13.65万. Netease (in Chinese). May 8, 2019.
- TVB Official website (in Chinese)