The Producers (TV series)
|Written by||Park Ji-eun |
|Directed by||Seo Soo-min |
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||12 (+1 special)|
|Executive producer(s)||Park Jong-min|
|Production location(s)||Seoul, South Korea|
|Cinematography||Ji Jae-woo |
|Running time||80 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Chorokbaem Media|
|Original network||Korean Broadcasting System|
|Original release||15 May –|
20 June 2015
|Related shows||Hit the Top|
The Producers (Korean: 프로듀사; RR: Peurodyusa; lit. Producer) is a 2015 South Korean television series starring Cha Tae-hyun, Gong Hyo-jin, Kim Soo-hyun, and IU. It aired on KBS2 from May 15, 2015 to June 20, 2015 on Fridays and Saturdays at 21:15 (KST) for 12 episodes.
In the center of Yeouido is the KBS building. On its sixth floor are partitioned offices where employees work in the network's variety department, keeping hectic schedules of filming, editing and all-night meetings.
- Cha Tae-hyun as Ra Joon-mo
- Gil Jeong-woo as young Joon-mo
- Chae Sang-woo as teenage Joon-mo
- A seasoned PD who has worked in the industry for ten years. Despite working on a lot of variety programs, he has no single masterpiece to call his own.
- An experienced PD who works on a long-time music program. She is smart, haughty and never holds back in letting people know what she thinks.
- An aspiring prosecutor who decides to join KBS because of his secret crush on a KBS employee. He becomes a rookie PD (producer-director) with the variety/entertainment division.
- A famous singer and celebrity who debuted as a trainee when she was 13 years old. She is called the "ice princess" for her poker face and complete control over her emotions.
- Park Hyuk-kwon as Kim Tae-ho, chief producer of the variety department
- Kim Jong-kook as Kim Hong-soon, PD of Open Concert
- Seo Ki-chul as Jang In-pyo, director of the variety department
- Ye Ji-won as Go Yang-mi, office manager of the variety department
- Gi Ju-bong as Park Choon-bong, the president of KBS
- Lee Joo-seung as Kim Joon-bae, floor director of 2 Days & 1 Night. Turns out to be a legendary ghost of KBS.
- Lee Chae-eun as Son Ji-yeon, writer of 2 Days & 1 Night
- Ko Bo-gyeol as Wang Min-jung, youngest writer of 2 Days & 1 Night
- Bae Yoo-ram as Ryu Il-yong, assistant director of 2 Days & 1 Night
- Shin Joo-hwan as Hyung-geun, assistant director of 2 Days & 1 Night
- Susanna Noh as casting writer of 2 Days & 1 Night
- Kim Sun-ah as Kim Da-jung, youngest writer of Music Bank
- Jang Seong-beom as assistant PD of Music Bank
- Byun Entertainment agency
- Na Young-hee as Byun Mi-sook, CEO of the agency
- Choi Kwon as Cindy's road manager
- Jo Han-chul as Secretary Kim
- Janey as Jini, a trainee of the agency
- Na Hae-ryung (of Bestie) as Yuna, ex-singer of the agency
- Jo Seung-hee (of DIA) as Yu-ju, member of Pinky4
- Kim Soo-yeon as Christine, member of Pinky4
- Jung Mimi (of Gugudan) as Ha-neul, member of Pinky4
- Park Seo-yeon, young trainee
- Lee Ji-ho as young trainee
- Kim Ye-won as young trainee
- Lee Seo-yeong as young trainee
- Baek's Family
- Kim Jong-soo as Baek Bo-sun, Seung-chan's father
- Kim Hye-ok as Lee Hoo-nam, Seung-chan's mother
- Park Hee-von as Baek Jae-hee, Seung-chan's older sister
- Park Jong-hwan as Baek Young-chan, Seung-chan's older brother
- Choi Sun-young as Baek Yoo-bin, Seung-chan's younger sister
- Kang Shin-chul as Myung Ji-hoon, Jae-hee's husband
- Im Ye-jin as Park Bong-soon, Joon-mo's mother
- Kim Hee-chan as Tak Ye-joon, Ye-jin's younger brother
- Jung Han-hee as Kim Tae-ho's daughter
- Yoon Yoo-sun as Kim Tae-ho's wife
- Kim Sa-kwon
- Lee Du-seok
- Jo Chang-geun
- Jin Yong-wook
- Jeon Heon-tae
- Hwang Min-ho
- Ahn Se-ha as manager
- Lee Jeong-ho as Reporter Kang
- Ryu Jun-yeol as Joo Jong-hyun
Episodes 1–2 (cast members of 2 Days & 1 Night - Season 4)
Episodes 4–5, 12 (cast members of 2 Days & 1 Night – Season 5)
Episodes 4–5, 10, 12 (cast members of 2 Days & 1 Night – Season 5)
The Producers was described as the first ever "variety drama", not only because of its subject but because it was produced by KBS's variety department instead of the drama department. Director Seo Soo-min's past experience has been on variety shows, having worked on Gag Concert, 2 Days & 1 Night and You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook (she is currently the CP, or chief producer, for KBS's Happy Sunday programming block). It was also the first terrestrial network drama to air in the Friday-Saturday time slot, a slot usually reserved for late-night comedy shows (network dramas had previously been strictly divided into weekday and weekend programs).
This is the second collaboration between actor Kim Soo-hyun and screenwriter Park Ji-eun after working together in the 2014 hit series My Love from the Star. It is also the second time Kim and IU have starred together, reuniting again after Dream High in 2011.
The Producers drew a solid average viewership rating of 12.5% and topped the Contents Power Index (CPI) rankings. But it also received criticism from entertainment industry insiders regarding its verisimilitude, particularly in the drama's depiction of producers as the weaker party in dealing with celebrities, which they claimed is "highly unrealistic" unless top stars are involved.
According to broadcaster and industry sources, The Producers has earned ₩8.4 billion (US$7.5 million): ₩3.8 billion from TV commercials, ₩2 billion from product placement and other sponsored advertisements (well above the ₩1-1.5 billion typical for a 16-episode series), and ₩2.6 billion in overseas sales to China. Despite its domestic and international popularity, however, KBS officials say it may log lower-than-expected profits due to the rising production cost, with the original budget at ₩400 million per episode and ₩4.8 billion for the whole series, plus additional costs when Pyo Min-soo replaced Yoon Sung-ho as one of the directors.
In this table, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.
|Ep.||Original broadcast date||Title||Average audience share|
|1||May 15, 2015||The Variety Department, Unintentionally||10.5% (10th)||11.8% (8th)||10.1% (11th)||10.5% (9th)|
|2||May 16, 2015||News of Quitting, Unintentionally||11.2% (4th)||12.3% (5th)||10.3% (6th)||10.7% (5th)|
|3||May 22, 2015||Pheasant Instead of Chicken, Unintentionally||9.6% (15th)||10.8% (10th)||10.2% (10th)||11.4% (6th)|
|4||May 23, 2015||Acting That Way, Unintentionally||13.5% (5th)||13.3% (5th)||11.0% (5th)||11.3% (5th)|
|5||May 29, 2015||Understanding Editing||10.8% (10th)||12.3% (8th)||11.2% (8th)||12.0% (6th)|
|6||May 30, 2015||Understanding Broadcasting Accidents||12.8% (4th)||14.4% (5th)||13.5% (3rd)||14.5% (3rd)|
|7||June 5, 2015||Understanding How to Play the Media||11.8% (9th)||13.4% (5th)||11.7% (7th)||12.3% (6th)|
|8||June 6, 2015||Understanding Love Lines||13.8% (3rd)||16.7% (4th)||13.4% (3rd)||13.7% (3rd)|
|9||June 12, 2015||Understanding Cancelled Broadcasts||11.7% (10th)||13.3% (3rd)||12.6% (3rd)||13.5% (3rd)|
|10||June 13, 2015||Understanding Previews||13.8% (3rd)||15.6% (4th)||14.6% (3rd)||15.4% (3rd)|
|11||June 19, 2015||Understanding Ratings||13.3% (4th)||15.3% (3rd)||13.4% (3rd)||14.5% (3rd)|
|12||June 20, 2015||Understanding a long-running program||18.2% (2nd)||20.4% (2nd)||17.7% (2nd)||17.9% (3rd)|
|Special||June 26, 2015||Understanding NGs||7.9%||7.9%||5.5%||7.5%|
Awards and nominations
|2015||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Kim Soo-hyun||Won|
|Best Drama||The Producers||Nominated|
|Best Production Director(s)||Seo Soo-min, Pyo Min-soo||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actress||IU||Nominated|
|Hallyu Star Award||Kim Soo-hyun||Won|
|Daesang (Grand Prize)||Kim Soo-hyun||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Kim Soo-hyun||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Gong Hyo-jin||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||IU||Nominated|
|Grand Prize (Daesang)||Kim Soo-hyun||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor||Kim Soo-hyun||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Gong Hyo-jin||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Cha Tae-hyun||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Gong Hyo-jin||Nominated|
|Netizen Award, Actor||Kim Soo-hyun||Won|
|Popularity Award, Actor||Kim Soo-hyun||Nominated|
|Popularity Award, Actress||Gong Hyo-jin||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award||Kim Soo-hyun, Cha Tae-hyun and Gong Hyo-jin||Won|
|Cha Tae-hyun and Gong Hyo-jin||Nominated|
|Kim Soo-hyun and Gong Hyo-jin||Nominated|
|Kim Soo-hyun and IU||Nominated|
|South Korea||KBS2||May 15, 2015 - June 20, 2015 (KBS金土连续剧 /한국방송공사 금토드라마)|
|Philippines||GMA Network||December 21, 2015 – January 29, 2016|
|Hong Kong||Korean Drama (韓劇台)||May 19, 2015 - June 24, 2015 (Tuesday, Wednesday 18:30 - 20:00 and 23:30 - 01:00; May 19, 18:30 - 19:45 and 23:30 - 00:45; June 24, 18:30 - 20:30 and 23:30 - 01:30)|
|TVB Window (綜藝台)||September 13, 2015 - November 29, 2015 (Sunday 11:30 - 13:00, 16:30 - 18:00 and 21:30 - 23:00; October 11, 11:30 - 13:00, 17:00 - 18:30 and 21:30 - 23:00; November 22, 17:00 - 18:55 and 21:30 - 23:10; November 29, 11:30 - 13:30, 16:30 - 18:30 and 21:30 - 23:30)|
|TVBTVB J2||March 9, 2016 - April 7, 2016 (Monday to Friday 23:05 - 00:00)|
|Taiwan||Star Chinese Channel||March 17, 2016 - April 18, 2016, April 19, 2016 (Monday to Friday 22:00 - 23:00)|
|Star Entertainment Channel, SEC (星卫娱乐台)||April 12, 2016 - May 12, 2016 (Monday to Friday 20:00 - 21:00)|
|FOX (台灣頻道), FOX HD||January 6, 2017 - February 7, 2017 (Monday to Friday 20:00 - 21:00)|
|Thailand||PPTV HD||February 13, 2016 - March 26, 2016 (Every Saturday and Sunday at 09:05 - 10:30)|
|Channel 9 MCOT HD||May 27, 2018 - August 11, 2018 (Every Saturday and Sunday at 22:10 - 23:00.) (June 30 and July 1,7,8,14,15 no broadcast)|
- Kim, Jae-heun (11 May 2015). "Kim Soo-hyun returns in Producers". The Korea Times.
- Doo, Rumy (11 May 2015). "The Producers set to be full of fun and laughs". The Korea Herald.
- Doo, Rumy (10 March 2015). "Producer set with stellar cast, creative team". K-pop Herald.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (29 May 2015). "The Producers Unveils Official Posters with Leading Actors". enewsWorld. Archived from the original on 9 July 2015. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (24 April 2015). "Producer Officially Sets Broadcast Date as 5/15". enewsWorld. Archived from the original on 26 June 2015. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Kwon, Ji-youn (18 May 2015). "The Producers - great boast, small roast". The Korea Times.
- Kwon, Ji-youn (21 June 2015). "Producers ends with success". The Korea Times.
- "Cha Tae Hyun to Make a Drama Comeback, Possibly with Kim Soo Hyun". Soompi. 27 February 2015.
- "Cha Tae-hyun to play veteran variety PD to Kim Soo-hyun's rookie". Dramabeans. 28 February 2015.
- Ko, Soo-jin (11 May 2015). "Cha Tae Hyun Says Kim Jong Kook's Participation in The Producers Got Buried by Kim Soo Hyun". enewsWorld. Archived from the original on 19 July 2015. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Sung, So-young (10 March 2015). "Kong Hyo-jin to appear in Producers". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "Gong Hyo Jin and IU Confirmed for New Drama Producer". Soompi.8 March 2015.
- "IU, Gong Hyo Jin And Kim Soo Hyun Have Joined Producer". KDramaStars. 9 March 2015.
- Park, Hee-ah (11 May 2015). "Kong Hyo Jin Worries about Getting Hate for Being Mean to Kim Soo Hyun in The Producers". enewsWorld. Archived from the original on 19 July 2015. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Kim Soo Hyun Joins Gong Hyo Jin, IU, and Cha Tae Hyun in Producer".Soompi. 8 March 2015.
- "Producer Roles of Gong Hyo Jin, Kim Soo Hyun, IU, and Cha Tae Hyun Revealed". Soompi. 31 March 2015.
- Sung, So-young (3 March 2015). "IU lands lead in Producers drama". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Park, Ah-reum (9 March 2015). "IU, Cha Tae Hyun and Kong Hyo Jin Confirmed for Producers" Archived 2 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine. enewsWorld.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (11 May 2015). "IU Studied f(x)'s Krystal, 4minute's Hyuna, and SNSD to Act in The Producers". enewsWorld. Archived from the original on 19 July 2015. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Namesake of the executive producer of Infinite Challenge on rival network MBC.
- "Kim Jong Kook to make drama debut alongside Kim Soo Hyun, IU, and Gong Hyo Jin in the Producers". DramaFever. 20 March 2015.
- producers-as-1-night-2-days-writer-80001.html "Lee Chae-eun to star in Producers as 1 Night 2 Days Writer"[permanent dead link]. Hancinema. 23 March 2015.
- "TaeTiSeo to Cameo on Star-Studded Drama Producer". Soompi. 3 April 2015.
- Kim, Min-ji (3 April 2015). "TaeTiSeo to Appear as Cameos in First Episode of Producer" Archived 5 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine. enewsWorld.
- "Yoon Yeo-jeong to star in KBS Producer as herself". Hancinema. 23 March 2015.
- "Jo Yoon-hee to cameo in Producer as Kim Soo-hyun's first love". Dramabeans. 23 March 2015.
- Jones, Julie (13 March 2015). "Jang Hyuk Films A Cameo Appearance On The Producers". KDramaStars.
- "Park Jin Young, Sunmi, Jo Kwon and Nichkhun to Cameo on Producer". Soompi. 21 April 2015.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (26 May 2015). "Lee Seung Gi to Make Cameo Appearance in The Producers". enewsWorld. Archived from the original on 27 May 2015. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "Man From Another Star writer and Kim Soo-Hyun to join hands for new drama". The Korea Times. 9 March 2015.
- "Producer to hold First Script Reading Today in Complete Secrecy. Soompi. 23 March 2015.
- Kim, Min-ji (23 March 2015). "Kim Soo Hyun, Kong Hyo Jin, IU, Cha Tae Hyun and More Attend First Script Reading of Producer" Archived 3 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine. enewsWorld.
- "Kim Soo-hyeon starts filming KBS Producers". Hancinema. 2 April 2015.
- "A first glimpse of Kim Soo Hyun as a rookie PD for Producer". Kpop Fighting. 2 April 2015.
- Hong, Hye-jin (1 June 2015). "The Producers hits highest rating ever". K-pop Herald.
- Choi, Hee-suk (1 June 2015). "The Producers draws criticism from industry". K-pop Herald.
- "How much will KBS TV's The Producers earn?". Yonhap. 11 June 2015.
- "How much will Kim Soo-hyun's The Producers earn?". K-pop Herald. 11 June 2015.
- "TNmS Daily Ratings". TNmS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "Nielsen Korea". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "The Producers". GMA Network. Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- PEP.ph. "PEP Alerts | PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz". www.pep.ph. Archived from the original on 15 October 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "National TV Ratings". www.abscbnpr.com. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- Jones, Julie (9 October 2015). "Who Won The Grand Prize At The Korea Drama Awards?". KDramaStars. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- Stanley, Adrienne (31 December 2015). "Kim Soo Hyun Received The Grand Prize At The 2015 KBS Drama Awards". KDramaStars. Retrieved 10 January 2016.