The Protectors (Danish TV series)
|The Protectors (Livvagterne)|
The Protectors (Livvagterne) intertitle
|Created by||Mai Brostrøm|
|Country of origin||Denmark|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||20 (list of episodes)|
|Production company(s)||Danmarks Radio|
|Original release||January 1, 2009 –|
March 7, 2010
The Protectors (Danish: Livvagterne) is a Danish crime TV series from 2009 that follows the police bodyguard squad P.E.T. (Politiets Efterretningstjeneste), which is in charge of protecting VIPs, including Danish royalty and politicians.
The series follows three recruits, Jasmina El-Murad (Cecilie Stenspil), Jonas Goldschmidt (André Babikian), and Rasmus Poulsen (Søren Vejby), who go swiftly from training camp to full-fledged police bodyguards. Jasmina is the only woman, and an Egyptian Muslim, on the team.
A first season aired in 2009. A second and final season was released in 2010, each season had 10 episodes.
- Cecilie Stenspil as Jasmina El-Murad, a newly trained bodyguard; she is the only woman in the class of 20 who train to become bodyguards
- Søren Vejby as Rasmus Poulsen, a newly trained bodyguard; he lives in a church building he renovated
- André Babikian as Jonas Goldschmidt, a newly trained bodyguard; he is Jewish and is married with one child. In the second episode he tells his wife he had an affair
- Thomas W. Gabrielsson as Leon Hartvig Jensen, PET's Chief of Security
- Ditte Gråbøl as Diana Pedersen, Secretary at PET
- Rasmus Bjerg as 'Lille Kurt' Birk, the PET Group Leader who is in charge of training the new bodyguards
- Ellen Hillingsø as Benedikte 'Tønne' Tønnesen, PET
- Tommy Kenter as Jørgen Boas, PET psychiatrist
- Michael Sand as Store Kurt, a veteran bodyguard
- Benjamin Boe Rasmussen as Trikker
- Kim Jansson as Fjordby
- Anne Birgitte Lind as Claudia
- Kate Kjølby as Asha El-Murad, Jasmina's sister
The Protectors was created and written by Peter Thorsboe and Mai Brostrøm. The show was the third in a trilogy of shows created by Thorsboe: Unit 1 (Danish: Rejseholdet) and The Eagle (Danish: Ørnen: En krimi-odyssé).
Awards and nominations
It won an International Emmy Award from the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences for best non-American television drama series in 2009. The series was filmed on location in Copenhagen (Denmark).
|2009||International Emmy Award||Best TV drama series||The Protectors||Won|
- "DVD Review: The Protectors – Series One". euro but not trash. 17 March 2013.
- Frost, Caroline (19 March 2013). "'The Protectors' Is The Latest Offering Of Nordic Noir - With Traces Of 'The Killing', 'Borgen', 'The Bridge'... AND 'Spooks'". The Huffington Post UK.
- Butler, Dianne (28 July 2011). "TV: What's on the box tonight?". The Courier-Mail.
- "Protectors, The". SBS Shop.
- "Awards - Previous Award Winners". International Emmy Awards. International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.