The Public (film)
|Directed by||Emilio Estevez|
|Produced by||Emilio Estevez|
|Written by||Emilio Estevez|
|Music by||Tyler Bates|
|Cinematography||Juan Miguel Azpiroz|
|Edited by||Richard Chew|
Yang Hua Hu
The Public is a 2018 American drama film directed and written by Emilio Estevez, who also stars in the film alongside an ensemble cast including Alec Baldwin, Jena Malone, Christian Slater, Gabrielle Union, Taylor Schilling, Jacob Vargas, Michael Kenneth Williams, and Jeffrey Wright. The film world premiered September 2018 at the Toronto Film Festival. 
After learning that emergency shelters are at full capacity when a brutal Midwestern cold front makes its way to Cincinnati, Ohio, a large group of homeless library patrons led by Jackson (Michael Kenneth Williams) refuse to leave the downtown public library at closing time. What begins as a nonviolent Occupy sit-in and ragtag act of civil disobedience quickly escalates into a standoff with local riot police, led by a no-nonsense crisis negotiator (Alec Baldwin) and a savvy district attorney (Christian Slater) with lofty political ambitions, all as two librarians (Emilio Estevez and Jena Malone) are caught up in the middle of it.
- Emilio Estevez as Stuart Goodson, a librarian at the Cincinnati Public Library
- Alec Baldwin as Detective Bill Ramstead, a crisis negotiator for the Cincinnati police department
- Christian Slater as Josh Davis, the local district attorney for the City of Cincinnati
- Jena Malone as Myra, a librarian at the Cincinnati Public Library
- Taylor Schilling as Angela, Stuart's neighbor and love interest
- Michael K. Williams as Jackson, the homeless man who leads the Occupy sit-in at the library
- Jeffrey Wright as Mr. Anderson, the head librarian of the Cincinnati Public Library
- Gabrielle Union as Rebecca Parks, a local reporter
- Jacob Vargas as Ernesto, head of security for the library
- Richard T. Jones as Chief Edwards
- Ted J. Weil as Disturbed Male Patron
- Bryant Bentley as Catcus Ray, the homeless man who helps with Jackson in the sit-in at the library
- Ki Hong Lee as Chip
In December 2016, it was announced that Alec Baldwin, Jena Malone, Taylor Schilling and Rhymefest would be joining Emilio Estevez in the film. A few days later, it was announced that Gabrielle Union had been cast in the film. In January 2017, it was announced that Christian Slater, Jeffrey Wright and Michael Kenneth Williams had also joined the cast of the film.
- "The Public". Toronto International Film Festival. Retrieved July 27, 2018.
- Orlova-Alvarez, Tamara; Alvarez, Joe (September 10, 2018). "The Public film premiere at the TIFF 2018". Ikon London Magazine. Retrieved September 29, 2018.
- Lincoln, Ross (December 8, 2016). "Alec Baldwin, Taylor Schilling, Jena Malone and Che 'Rhymefest' Smith Join Emilio Estevez-Directed 'The Public'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (December 16, 2016). "Gabrielle Union Joins Emilio Estevez Movie 'The Public'". Variety. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (January 26, 2017). "Christian Slater, Jeffrey Wright & Michael Kenneth Williams Join Emilio Estevez's 'The Public'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Lincoln, Ross (December 8, 2016). "Alec Baldwin, Taylor Schilling, Jena Malone and Che 'Rhymefest' Smith Join Emilio Estevez-Directed 'The Public'". Deadline. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Burlingame, Jon (21 July 2017). "Tyler Bates Balances Careers as Guitarist and In-Demand Film Composer". Variety. Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- Haring, Bruce (6 December 2017). "Santa Barbara Film Festival to open with Emilio Estevez's 'The Public'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- Lang, Brent. "Toronto Film Festival Lineup Includes 'A Star Is Born,' 'Widows,' 'First Man'". Variety.com. Variety. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Public (film)|