The Punisher (1990 computer game)
Cover art for the DOS version
It features three different modes of gameplay: driving the Punisher's "Battle Van", walking through NYC's streets and select buildings, and scuba diving.
The player takes the role of the Punisher and will try to take revenge upon the organised crime, who has killed Punisher's family. The equipment consists of a knife, several semi-automatic guns, grenades, the Battle Van, and a scuba gear.
In the issue number 77 of Computer Gaming World (December 1990), Charles Ardai stated that The Punisher "is wish-fulfillment of the highest order, a Death Wish revenge fantasy mixed with an honest cry from the gut for justice [...]. For real New Yorkers dealing with an all-too-real" crime waves, and predicted strong sales in urban areas. He gave the game a qualified recommendation, however, because of flaws including graphics of inconsistent quality, poor controls, bugs, and ineffective, manual-based copy protection.
In the issue number 148 of the same magazine, Punisher as in the Paragon Software developed version is mentioned as the fifteenth most memorable hero of all time.
On October 31, 1991, The Punisher was indexed by the Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons of Germany in a list for games deemed to be a bad influence for younger gamers.
- "The Punisher". MobyGames. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Punisher, The". Abandonia.com. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Ardai, Charles (December 1990). "Crime and Punishment" (PDF). Computer Gaming World (77): 68–69. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "The 15 Most Memorable Game Heroes" (PDF). Computer Gaming World (148): 120. November 1996. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "The Punisher: Trivia". MobyGames. Retrieved 23 July 2015.