The Queen Latifah Show
|The Queen Latifah Show|
|Created by||Queen Latifah|
|Presented by||Queen Latifah|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||175|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||September 13, 1999 –|
March 6, 2015
The Queen Latifah Show is the title of two American television talk show programs hosted by the actress, singer and entertainer Queen Latifah. The original The Queen Latifah Show ran from September 13, 1999 to August 31, 2001. The revamped The Queen Latifah Show debuted September 16, 2013, and was renewed for a second season in January 2014. On November 21, 2014, Sony Pictures Television cancelled The Queen Latifah Show after two seasons due to low ratings. Production ceased on December 18, 2014 and the final episode aired on March 6, 2015, with reruns that continued airing until the end of the television season.
The Queen Latifah Show (1999–2001)
This syndicated series aired from September 13, 1999, until August 31, 2001. It was described as the "Dear Abby for the Hip-Hop Generation", with the series covering various topics and including interviews with celebrities and non-celebrities alike.
The Queen Latifah Show (2013–2015)
The Queen Latifah Show features celebrity interviews, human interest stories, musical performances, and Queen Latifah's take on pop culture news. Latifah also ventures into communities across the country to share compelling stories, celebrates individuals who give back to their communities, and delivers life-changing surprises.
The Queen Latifah Show is taped in front of a live studio audience at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California, and airs in broadcast syndication on CBS Television Stations. The series is produced by Flavor Unit Entertainment, Overbrook Entertainment, and Sony Pictures Television. The set for the series was designed by Lenny Kravitz's design firm, Kravitz Design.
This incarnation debuted with the second-best daytime talk launch since The Dr. Oz Show in 2009, premiering with a 1.7 rating/5 share primary-run household average in the weighted metered markets. Latifah's premiere was also up 31% from its year-ago time periods and up 21% from its average lead-in. In daytime's key demographic of women 25–54, the series surged 80% from last year and 29% from its lead-ins to a 0.9/5.
On January 6, 2014, The Queen Latifah Show was renewed for a second season. However, on November 21, 2014, Sony Pictures Television canceled Queen Latifah's show due to declining ratings. Production of the series closed down, taking effect on December 18, 2014, leaving new episodes that were broadcast until March 6, 2015.
Awards and nominations
|2014||NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Talk Series||The Queen Latifah Show||Nominated|
|2015||NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Talk Series||Nominated|
- "The Queen Latifah Show episodes". TV Guide. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- Marr, Merissa (August 29, 2013). "Queen Latifah's New Daytime Talk Show". The Wall Street Journal.
- Diane Anderson-Minshall (September 17, 2013). "Queen Latifah Tells Us About Her New Talk Show". Advocate.
- The Associated Press (September 15, 2013). "Queen Latifah talk show debuts Monday". abc7chicago.
- "Queen Latifah On New Daytime TV Talk Show". CBS San Francisco. September 4, 2013.
- Keveney, Bill (September 8, 2013). "Daytime TV talkers enter a crowded field". USA TODAY.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 29, 2012). "CBS TV Stations Land Sony TV's Queen Latifah Daytime Talk Show For Fall 2013". Deadline Hollywood.
- Greene, Emily (September 14, 2013). "Queen Latifah Ready for Talk Show to Air". WebProNews.
- Oldenburg, Ann (July 2, 2013). "Queen Latifah's talk show". USA TODAY.
- McNamara, Mary (September 17, 2013). "Review: 'The Queen Latifah Show' is off to a nice start". Los Angeles Times.
- Downey, Kevin (June 26, 2013). "Sony To Get Local With 'Queen Latifah'". TVNewsCheck.
- Starr, Michael (September 15, 2013). "Queen Latifah back with daytime talk show after 12 years". New York Post.
- Guthrie, Marisa (September 13, 2013). "Why Lenny Kravitz Agreed to Design His First TV Show Set". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Scharf, Lindzi (June 11, 2013). "Lenny Kravitz's design firm creating sets for Queen Latifah's talk show". Entertainment Weekly.
- Albiniak, Paige (September 17, 2013). "Syndication Ratings: SPT's 'Queen Latifah' Turns in Solid Opening-Day Numbers". Broadcasting & Cable.
- Takeda, Allison (September 17, 2013). "Queen Latifah's Talk Show Scores Big, Posts Highest Daytime Television Premiere of Year". Us Weekly.
- Littleton, Cynthia (September 17, 2013). "TV Ratings: 'The Queen Latifah Show' Draws Crowd in Bow". Variety.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 17, 2013). "'The Queen Latifah Show' Has Solid Debut". Deadline Hollywood.
- Kenneally, Tim (September 17, 2013). "'Queen Latifah Show' Gets Strong Ratings Start". The Wrap.
- O'Connell, Michael (January 6, 2014). "The Queen Latifah Show Renewed for Second Season". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 6, 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (November 21, 2014). "'Queen Latifah Show' Canceled". The Hollywood Reporter. United States: Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 21, 2014.