The ROHO Group
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The ROHO Group is an American manufacturer of wheelchair seating systems and medical mattresses based in Belleville, Illinois. The company also manufactures consumer products including office seating and AIRHAWK motorcycle, agriculture, truck and aviation comfort seating systems. The ROHO dry flotation technology that is used in all ROHO products has been proven in several clinical case studies.
The ROHO Group was founded by Robert H. Graebe, an electrical engineer, and was incorporated in 1973.
In 1957 while working on a project to develop a blood flow-monitoring device Graebe noticed issues of ischemic ulcers or pressure ulcers. Graebe began developing the ROHO dry flotation technology of inter-connected air cells to mimic the properties of water.
The ROHO Group brands include ROHO medical products and AIRHAWK consumer products.
ROHO products include wheelchair cushions, support surfaces, wheelchair backs, lumbar support cushions, a sacral support cushion, a heel pad cushion, a toilet seat cushion, a shower-commode cushion, pillows and custom designed cushions for specific needs.
AIRHAWK cushions include motorcycle cushions, truck cushions, agriculture, construction and aviation seating products.
- 1971 — The ROHO HIGH PROFILE cushion was introduced.
- 1975 — The first Dual Compartment DRY FLOATATION cushion was produced.
- 1980 — The first custom-designed ROHO DRY FLOATATION Wedge cushion was developed.
- 1981 — A slightly lower cushion named the ROHO LOW PROFILE cushion was developed.
- 1985 — Design-A-ROHO Kit was created and made available to physical and occupational therapists to help meet the needs of their patients. The kit allows clinicians to design a custom cushion for each individual client.
- 1985 — The first QUADTRO cushion was also created.
- 1987 — The MINI-MAX cushion was developed for the sports world in need of a lightweight, small-celled cushion.
- 1988 — The ENHANCER DRY FLOATATION cushion was developed to provide a contoured fit for enhanced stability.
- 1990 — The ADAPTOR Pad was developed to absorb shock and impact as well as reduce sheer forces.
ROHO entered the consumer market in 1997 with the AIRHAWK Comfort Seating System, which uses the same ROHO DRY FLOATATION technology first created by Graebe. The following year the company began selling AIRHAWK truck cushions for use in long-haul transportation and heavy equipment.
The ROHO Group was originally three separate companies: ROHO, Inc., ROHO International and CROWN THERAPEUTICS, Inc. and in March 2001 the board of directors announced the merging of the three companies into The ROHO Group.
The ROHO Group sells products in more than 70 countries that are manufactured in Belleville, Illinois.
Users First Alliance
Users First Alliance is a non-profit corporation that seeks to help wheelchair users gain access to the mobility equipment they need. Permobil, the ROHO Group and TiLite organized the Users First Alliance. The organization also provides access to information about insurance coding and the reimbursement proves to help with accessibility to the appropriate equipment.
The ROHO cushion was used in the television series Viper by the character Julian Wilkes (played by Dorian Harwood). Lila Quartermaine, played by Anna Lee of Ightham, Kent, England on ABC’s General Hospital used a ROHO QUADTRO HIGH PROFILE.
The ROHO Institute
In 1989 The ROHO Institute of Continuing Education and Research, previously the Training and Education department of The ROHO Group, began conducting seminars to teach proper use of ROHO cushions to clinicians. The ROHO Institute currently conducts continuing education seminars worldwide on various topics ranging from wheelchair seating and positioning to pressure ulcer prevention and treatment. The ROHO Institute also has an online library of continuing education courses available free of charge.
More than fifty percent of The ROHO Group employees have worked for the company for 10 or more years. Twenty-five percent of the employees have worked for the company for 15 years or more and fifteen percent have worked for The ROHO Group for 20 or more years.
The ROHO Group is involved in a wide variety of corporate sponsorship. Since 2009 The ROHO Group has been the title sponsor for the US Open USTA Wheelchair Championships in St. Louis, MO at the Dwight Davis Tennis Center. The ROHO Group is also a sponsor for the National Wheelchair Basketball Association. They also sponsor the National Veterans Wheelchair Games. In addition to the corporate sponsorships, The ROHO Group also donate to local organizations including the Belleville Junior Service Club, Belleville Khoury League, Disabled Athlete Sports Association, Bethany Place, YMCA, United Way, Special Olympics, Belleville Public Library, the Cahokia Mounds Museum Society and several others. The ROHO Group is also a sponsor of the Medigas Celebrity Classic golf tournament and the Fourth Annual Minds Eye Beepball Tournament.
- "About Us". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "The ROHO Institute - Clinical Case Studies". Therohogroup.com. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Latest News in AIRHAWK Comfort Seating System". Airhawk. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Wheelchair Cushions - High Profile Single Valve". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Low Profile Quadtro Select Cushion". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "MINI-MAX Cushion". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Wheelchair Seat Cushions - ENHANCER Cushion". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- ROHO Crown Quarterly, September 1991 “The History of ROHO, Inc.”
- "UsersFirst — Empowering Wheelchair Users". Usersfirst.org. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- ROHO Crown Quarterly, ROHO, Inc. Fall 1993 “ROHO chosen for Paramount Pictures’ upcoming television series Viper”
- The Cell Sheet, ROHO, Inc., Summer/Fall 1994
- "The ROHO Institute". Therohogroup.com. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Company Culture and Employment". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Community and Corporate Sponsorships". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "US Open USTA Wheelchair Championships Q&A". USTA. 2012-01-15. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "The ROHO Group Announces Second Year as a US OPEN USTA Wheelchair Championships Title Sponsor". Prweb.com. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "National Wheelchair Basketball Association". Nwba.org. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs. "National Veterans Wheelchair Games". .va.gov. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100525212609/http://www.juniorserviceclub.org/. Archived from the original on May 25, 2010. Retrieved January 5, 2011. Missing or empty
- "About Belleville Khoury". Bellevillekhoury.org. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "DasaSports". DasaSports. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Belleville Public Library welcomes you — Belleville Public Library". Bellevillepubliclibrary.org. 2013-04-09. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Welcome to". Celebrityclassic.ca. 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Minds Eye Information Service - Donor Events". Mindseyeradio.org. Retrieved 2013-06-08.