The ROHO Group
ROHO is an American manufacturer based in Belleville, Illinois. ROHO is the worldwide leader of seating solutions that prevent and treat ischemic ulcers or pressure ulcers. ROHO’s technology provides skin protection and positioning in a variety of applications: from wheelchair seating systems, to therapeutic mattresses, to wheelchair backs and more.
ROHO’s innovative products deliver life-changing benefits, offering comfort and protection to people relying on wheelchairs for mobility. ROHO is the pioneer of air-cell based cushions, and created DRY FLOATATION® Technology, mimicking the pressure-relieving properties of water. With over 1 million ROHO products in use in over 80 countries worldwide, you can be confident in recommending ROHO products. Plus, all ROHO products are backed by an unmatched level of clinical evidence from leading researchers around the world.
With the increasing focus on patient outcomes and safety, ROHO’s established technology is paramount in treating the over 2.5 million patients suffering pressure ulcers annually and reducing the $11 billion in annual healthcare cost for the treatment of pressure ulcers.
Robert H. Graebe incorporated ROHO Inc. in 1973. An electrical engineer, Robert learned about ischemic ulcers in 1957 while working on a project for a hospital. Robert was amazed that someone would have to be hospitalized just from the act of sitting. He spent the next 20 years developing a better way to treat and prevent pressure ulcers. Through intense research and development, Robert invented ROHO DRY FLOATATION® Technology, named for its properties that mimic the pressure equalization and buoyancy of water in a dry environment. Time and time again, this technology has been proven to help heal an aid in the prevention of pressure ulcers and deep tissue injuries.
ROHO was built on DRY FLOATATION® Technology, first with wheelchair cushions, then hospital mattresses and other seating accessories.
In March 2001, the directors of ROHO Inc., ROHO International and Crown Therapeutics Inc. announced a new corporate structure: The ROHO Group. ROHO provides a more efficient and effective approach to global business. The reorganized company focuses on three markets: medical seating, support surfaces and nonmedical consumer applications.
Since ROHO was founded, ROHO’s superior product technology, dedicated and passionate employees, and formal customer training has delivered excellence in all activities, products and services. We carry a full line of wheelchair seat cushions and backs, therapeutic mattresses and pressure mapping systems, and can create custom products for your specific needs.
ROHO’s technology provides skin protection and positioning in a variety of applications: from wheelchair cushions, to therapeutic mattresses, to wheelchair backs and more.
ROHO products include wheelchair cushions, support surfaces, wheelchair backs, lumbar support cushions, a sacral support cushion, a heel pad cushion, a toilet seat cushion, a shower-commode cushion, pillows and custom designed cushions for specific needs.
- 1971 — The ROHO HIGH PROFILE cushion was introduced.
- 1975 — The first Dual Compartment DRY FLOATATION cushion was produced.
- 1980 — The first custom-designed ROHO DRY FLOATATION Wedge cushion was developed.
- 1981 — A slightly lower cushion named the ROHO LOW PROFILE cushion was developed.
- 1985 — Design-A-ROHO Kit was created and made available to physical and occupational therapists to help meet the needs of their patients. The kit allows clinicians to design a custom cushion for each individual client.
- 1985 — The first QUADTRO cushion was also created.
- 1987 — The MINI-MAX cushion was developed for the sports world in need of a lightweight, small-celled cushion.
- 1988 — The ENHANCER DRY FLOATATION cushion was developed to provide a contoured fit for enhanced stability.
- 1990 — The ADAPTOR Pad was developed to absorb shock and impact as well as reduce sheer forces.
ROHO sells products in more than 70 countries that are manufactured in Belleville, Illinois.
Users First Alliance
Users First Alliance is a non-profit corporation that seeks to help wheelchair users gain access to the mobility equipment they need. Permobil, the ROHO Group and TiLite organized the Users First Alliance. The organization also provides access to information about insurance coding and the reimbursement proves to help with accessibility to the appropriate equipment.
The ROHO cushion was used in the television series Viper by the character Julian Wilkes (played by Dorian Harwood). Lila Quartermaine, played by Anna Lee of Ightham, Kent, England on ABC’s General Hospital used a ROHO QUADTRO HIGH PROFILE.
The ROHO Institute
In 1989 The ROHO Institute of Continuing Education and Research, previously the Training and Education department of The ROHO Group, began conducting seminars to teach proper use of ROHO cushions to clinicians. The ROHO Institute currently conducts continuing education seminars worldwide on various topics ranging from wheelchair seating and positioning to pressure ulcer prevention and treatment. The ROHO Institute also has an online library of continuing education courses available free of charge.
More than fifty percent of ROHO employees have worked for the company for 10 or more years. Twenty-five percent of the employees have worked for the company for 15 years or more and fifteen percent have worked for ROHO for 20 or more years.
ROHO is involved in a wide variety of corporate sponsorship. Since 2009, ROHO has been the title sponsor for the US Open USTA Wheelchair Championships in St. Louis, MO at the Dwight Davis Tennis Center. The ROHO Group is also a sponsor for the National Wheelchair Basketball Association. They also sponsor the National Veterans Wheelchair Games. In addition to the corporate sponsorships, ROHO also donate to local organizations including the Belleville Junior Service Club, Belleville Khoury League, Disabled Athlete Sports Association, Bethany Place, YMCA, United Way, Special Olympics, Belleville Public Library, the Cahokia Mounds Museum Society and several others. ROHO is also a sponsor of the Medigas Celebrity Classic golf tournament and the Fourth Annual Minds Eye Beepball Tournament.
ROHO, Inc. advertising campaign “Beyond all Boundaries” won and an EDI Award in 1995 from the National Easter Seal Society. The award honors members of the media, advertising and entertainment industries whose work furthers the Easter Seal mission of Equality, Dignity and Independence for people with disabilities.
ROHO won the St. Louis Chapter of American Marketing Association's 2008 Marketing Excellence Award, in the non-profit category. The award was given for the work done in 2007 for the Users First Alliance. The award was presented on May 9, 2008.
- "Wheelchair Cushions - High Profile Single Valve". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Low Profile Quadtro Select Cushion". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "MINI-MAX Cushion". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Wheelchair Seat Cushions - ENHANCER Cushion". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- ROHO Crown Quarterly, September 1991 “The History of ROHO, Inc.”
- "UsersFirst — Empowering Wheelchair Users". Usersfirst.org. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- ROHO Crown Quarterly, ROHO, Inc. Fall 1993 “ROHO chosen for Paramount Pictures’ upcoming television series Viper”
- The Cell Sheet, ROHO, Inc., Summer/Fall 1994
- "The ROHO Institute". Therohogroup.com. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Company Culture and Employment". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Community and Corporate Sponsorships". The ROHO Group. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "US Open USTA Wheelchair Championships Q&A". USTA. 2012-01-15. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "The ROHO Group Announces Second Year as a US OPEN USTA Wheelchair Championships Title Sponsor". Prweb.com. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "National Wheelchair Basketball Association". Nwba.org. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs. "National Veterans Wheelchair Games". .va.gov. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
-  Archived May 25, 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "About Belleville Khoury". Bellevillekhoury.org. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "DasaSports". DasaSports. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Belleville Public Library welcomes you — Belleville Public Library". Bellevillepubliclibrary.org. 2013-04-09. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Welcome to". Celebrityclassic.ca. 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Minds Eye Information Service - Donor Events". Mindseyeradio.org. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- The Cell Sheet, Fall 1995 “’Beyond all Boundaries’ Advertising Campaign wins 1995 EDI Award”
- Dintelmann, Stephanie. "The ROHO Group Wins AMA Marketing Excellence Award 2008" press release. The ROHO Group. 5/19/2008.