The Raw Story
The Raw Story homepage, 2014
Type of site
|Owner||Raw Story Media, Inc., John Byrne, Michael Rogers|
|Created by||John Byrne|
|Alexa rank||3,348 (July 2017[update]), Quantcast rank: 219|
The Raw Story (also stylized as RawStory) is an American online news organization founded in 2004 by John Byrne. It covers current national and international political and economic news and publishes its own editorials and investigative pieces. The Raw Story describes itself as progressive, bringing attention to stories that it sees as downplayed or ignored by other media outlets. It is owned by Washington, D.C.-based Raw Story Media, Inc.
Citation in other media
The Raw Story has been reported on and featured in The New York Times, The Guardian, LA Weekly, the New York Post, the Toronto Star, The Hill, Rolling Stone, The Advocate, Roll Call, and Mother Jones. With an average 10.7 million readers per month (2015), the site is described by Newsweek as, "Muck, raked: If you're looking for alleged GOP malfeasance, the folks at rawstory.com are frequently scooping the mainstream media."
On August 4, 2008 the Online News Association announced that RawStory.com was a finalist in the 2008 Online Journalism awards in the "Investigative, Small Site" category for the story "The permanent Republican majority", about improper partisan influence in the prosecution of former Governor Don Siegelman of Alabama.
The website's original reporting has also been referenced by MSNBC's Ed Schultz and Lawrence O'Donnell, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Real Time with Bill Maher and Countdown with Keith Olbermann. It was also referenced in 2011 by The Telegraph newspaper, as being the news website that first revealed a contract had been awarded to Ntrepid by United States Central Command as part of Operation Earnest Voice, intended to deploy operatives to create fake online personas abroad.
- Roxanne Cooper – Editor / Publisher
- Eric W. Dolan – Managing Editor
- David Edwards – Senior Editor
- Travis Gettys – Editor
- Tom Boggioni – Editor
- David Ferguson - Editor
- Sarah Burris - Editor
- Elizabeth Preza - Editor
- Ben Nguyen – Web Developer
- Mark Estrada - Lead Moderator
Raw Story Media, Inc.
Raw Story is wholly owned by Raw Story Media, Inc.
- John Byrne – Founder, Chairman and CEO, partner
- Michael Rogers – Vice Chairman and Managing Director, partner
Raw Story announced on April 9, 2018, that it had acquired AlterNet as the newly created company "AlterNet Media." Byrne stated, "AlterNet will continue to carry content from the Independent Media Institute, its prior owner, and former AlterNet writers may appear with Independent Media Institute bylines.
- "raw story.com Site Overview". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- "Quantcast ranking". Quantcast. Quantcast. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- HTML <title> tag on homepage as at 10 December 2016: http://rawstory.com
- "About Us & Masthead". The Raw Story. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- "Interview with John Byrne: Editor and founder of Rawstory.com". Mother Jones. 2007-06-29. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- Quantcast. "Quantcast: RawStory.com". Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "BlogWatch". Newsweek (subscription/registration needed). 2005-03-21.
- Online News Association (August 4, 2008). "2008 Online Journalism Awards – Finalists". Archived from the original on August 8, 2008. Retrieved 2007-08-06.
- "The permanent Republican majority". Rawstory.com. 2002-11-18. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Raw Story: Lawrence O'Donnell: Liberals outraged over Libya action". Raw Story. 2011-03-21. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- Nick Fielding and Ian Cobain (17 March 2011). "US military creates fake online personas". The Telegraph. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- Byrne, John (April 9, 2018). "It's a new day for AlterNet". AlterNet. Retrieved April 10, 2018.