The Real Americans
|The Real Americans|
|Members||Antonio Cesaro / Cesaro
Zeb Colter (manager)
|Heights||Cesaro: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) Swagger: 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|507 lb (230 kg)|
|Debut||July 1, 2013|
|Disbanded||April 6, 2014|
The Real Americans were a professional wrestling tag team in the WWE, consisting of Antonio Cesaro and Jack Swagger, managed by Zeb Colter. Their gimmick, and by extension the explanation for their team name, was that of American patriotism and xenophobia, with them explaining that they were "Real Americans" because they were either born in the United States (in the case of Swagger) or entered the country legally (in the case of Cesaro). They were known for their signature catchphrase "We the People!".
In February 2013, Jack Swagger returned to television following an extended absence with a new manager, Zeb Colter. Colter, an advocate of anti-illegal immigration beliefs, would strongly influence Swagger in the following months, with the two developing the catchphrase "We the People!"
By June 2013, Swagger had once again taken a leave of absence to undergo surgery on his hand. In his absence, Colter acquired Antonio Cesaro (who had previously been an active member of the roster) as a client on the June 17 Raw. Once again, Colter's belief systems were transferred over to his client. In spite of the fact that Cesaro is of European heritage, seemingly serving as an antonym personified for Colter's xenophobia, Colter justified his inclusion as a "Real American" because of his entry to the country legally. Swagger began accompanying Cesaro alongside Colter on the July 1 Raw, during which Cesaro defeated Cody Rhodes. At the July 14 Money in the Bank pay-per view, both Cesaro and Swagger competed in the World Heavyweight Championship Money in the Bank ladder match, although both were unsuccessful. The two entered the ring together, accompanied by Colter, and aided each other throughout the match. The following night on Raw, billed as "The Real Americans", they were defeated by The Usos.
At Night of Champions, they lost a Tag team turmoil for a WWE Tag Team Championship match, being eliminated by The Prime Time Players after eliminating both The Usos and Tons of Funk. The following night on Raw, they once again lost a number one contender match for the tag team titles against The Usos and Tons of Funk. They started a feud with Santino Marella and The Great Khali after Santino beat Cesaro in his return match at his hometown. At Battleground, they beat Santino and Khali after Cesaro swung Khali several times. They would start a feud with Los Matadores after Zeb Colter called them "Los Illegals". They would continue to confront Los Matadores for the next several weeks with Zeb Colter coming out with a whip, mocking El Torito. At the Hell in a Cell pay-per-view, they were defeated by Los Matadores to conclude their feud. The following night on Raw, they defeated the WWE Tag Team Champions Cody Rhodes and Goldust, earning themselves a future title shot. They got their title shot on the November 22 edition of SmackDown, but were defeated by Cody Rhodes and Goldust.
At Survivor Series, The Real Americans along with The Shield defeated the team of Cody Rhodes and Goldust, Rey Mysterio and The Usos. On the December 13 edition of SmackDown, it was announced that The Real Americans would face the teams of Big Show and Rey Mysterio, Ryback and Curtis Axel and Cody Rhodes and Goldust for the WWE Tag Team Championships at the TLC: Tables, Ladders and Chairs pay-per-view. They were the second team eliminated after Big Show delivered a KO Punch to Cesaro at the event. Both Swagger and Cesaro would compete in the Royal Rumble match, coming in at No. 7 and No. 21 respectively. Swagger was eliminated by Kevin Nash and Cesaro was eliminated by Roman Reigns. Tensions were teased between Zeb Colter and Jack Swagger the following night on Raw as Cesaro was forced to calm down Swagger after Colter had slapped him. On the January 31, 2014 edition of Smackdown, Cesaro would defeat Dolph Ziggler to qualify to compete in the Elimination Chamber match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, but Swagger lost to a returning Christian the same night, being unable to join his partner in the match for the title. The following week on Raw, after Swagger once again lost to Christian, Colter threw a temper tantrum as Cesaro nodded his head. The night after the Elimination Chamber event on Raw, Cesaro lost to Big E by disqualification when Swagger interfered and applied an ankle lock submission hold to Big E.
Despite ongoing issues, Cesaro and Swagger defeated The Usos on the Raw episode on March 17, possibly putting them in line for a shot at the tag titles. At the WrestleMania XXX pre-show, Cesaro and Swagger were unable to capture the tag team titles from The Usos in a Fatal 4 Way, which also included RybAxel and Los Matadores. After the match, Swagger applied the Patriot Lock on Cesaro, but Colter ordered them to shake hands. However, Cesaro would deliver the Cesaro Swing on Swagger, signalling the end of The Real Americans. Later that night, Cesaro won the André the Giant Memorial Battle Royal and a large trophy. The following night on Raw, Cesaro ended his relationship with Colter and announced that he was now a Paul Heyman Guy, which resulted in Swagger attacking Cesaro and destroying the trophy. They would go on to have a match, which Cesaro won after Swagger got himself counted out. On the April 21 episode of Raw, Swagger cost Cesaro a shot at entering the finals of the Intercontinental Championship tournament against Rob Van Dam. After the match, Cesaro once again delivered the Cesaro Swing to Swagger. At Extreme Rules in May, Cesaro defeated Swagger and Van Dam in an Triple threat elimination match, end the feud.
- Cesaro's finishing moves
- Swagger's finishing moves
- Entrance themes
Championships and accomplishments
- André the Giant Memorial Trophy – Cesaro
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter
- Most Underrated (2013) – Cesaro
- "Antonio Cesaro - WWE profile". WWE. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Antonio Cesaro". Florida Championship Wrestling. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "WWE Bio". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- "Real Americans Are the Heel Duo WWE Needs to Revitalize the Tag Division".
- "1/11 WWE Raw in Austin: The Shield challenge for the WWE Tag Team Championship, C.M. Punk and Dolph Ziggler vs. John Cena and Ryback, Antonio Cesaro vs. The Miz for the U.S. Title".
- "RAW NEWS: No Taker, Heyman's announcement teaser, Highlight Reel returning this week, SD match, TNA Night in Nashville?". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- Boesveld, Sarah. "U.S. conservatives outraged as WWE wrestler Jack Swagger cast as racist, anti-immigration Tea Partier". National Post. Retrieved 28 February 2013.
- "CALDWELL'S WWE RAW RESULTS 7/1 (Hour 3): Cena vs. Del Rio heavily-hyped main event, Punk & Axel".
- Caldwell, James. "CALDWELL'S WWE RAW RESULTS 6/17 (Hour 2): Ongoing "virtual-time" coverage of live Raw - Orton vs. Bryan, A.J. Lee-Stephanie McMahon promo exchange, U.S. Title match". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "CALDWELL'S WWE MITB PPV RESULTS 7/14 (Hour 1): Complete "virtual-time" coverage of World Title MITB ladder match, IC Title match, Divas Title match".
- Brummitt, Matt (2012-04-15). "Brummitt's FCW TV report 4/8: WWE Developmental TV coverage – Claudio vs. Steamboat, Ross & Regal commentary, Regal-Ambrose feud, Hero promo, new gimmicks for O'Brian & Harris". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- James, Justin (2012-07-04). "James's NXT report 6/27: Week 2 of New NXT season - Bateman vs. Curtis main event, Cesaro, Seth Rollins, Steamboat". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Caldwell, James. "CALDWELL'S WWE RAW RESULTS 2/4: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of live Raw - WWE explains many things, Punk-Jericho main event, Bruno HOF Video". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Mezzera, Jon (June 28, 2010). "6/25 WWE Smackdown Hits & Misses: Swagger's Ankle Lock, Hardy vs. McIntyre, McIntyre Deported, No Mysterio". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved July 3, 2010.
- Keller, Wade (July 2, 2010). "Keller's WWE SmackDown Report 7/2: Rey & Show vs. Cody & Swagger, Money in Bank match announced, Dolph vs. Kofi". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved July 3, 2010.
- "The Real Americans Entrance Video - WWE.com".