Darren Stevens (comedian)
Darren Stevens (born April 13, 1965), commonly known as The Real Darren Stevens, is a Canadian radio personality, best known for his shows as heard on 54 Rock, 106.9 The BEAR & CHEZ 106 in Ottawa and B101 in Barrie; as well as his behind the scenes programming work in Barrie, Ont. Darren Stevens is not to be confused with WMXJ radio personality Darren Stephens.
Stevens has been a writer/producer/voice of comedy segments for CBC Radio national morning shows, CJSB (Ottawa), CKQB-FM (Ottawa), CIQB-FM (Barrie) and program director for CIQB-FM, CHAY-FM (Barrie) and CKCB-FM (Collingwood).
He is a versatile performer has done everything from newspaper columnist, radio host to TV including national TV commercials for Yamaha, national voice over host for Global's A Place in the Sun, appearances on Cooking For Love, performer in music videos, and other TV including writer / performer / producer of the sketch comedy series The Real Darren Stevens Show which aired on The Comedy Network.
It was the period of 1997-2007 under the guidance of program director Darren Stevens that radio stations CIQB-FM & CHAY-FM rose to prominence. Both the stations & Stevens have been highly recognized in the radio industry.
On December 10, 2007 after 10 years off the Ottawa radio airwaves, "The Real Darren Stevens Show" returned to the weekdays 3pm - 7pm on CHEZ-FM for a brief period. His final show aired on Wednesday February 20, 2008
In a strange twist of fate, on March 29, 2008 Stevens returned 'home' to the location where he started his career CKQB-FM where he worked during the 54 Rock AM period & the FM launch of 106.9 The Bear. After 5 long years off the air The Real Darren Stevens returned on the air on the weekend of June 8–9, 2013.
- Darren has a daughter named 'Jess', who was born in Ottawa in 1991.
- In September 1990, Stevens, as a radio stunt, admitted that he suffered from a rare affliction - being a Canadian who can't skate. On air he openly 'stalked' fellow Ottawa native & Olympic champ Elizabeth Manley to teach him how to skate. Finally, after about 150 days, in January 1991, Liz put the skates on Darren & taught him how to skate.
- In 1991, Stevens had a donut named after him. 'The Real Darren Stevens Donut' was banana creme filled covered with chocolate & nuts - 'totally bananas & a little nutty!'.
- September 1, 1994 Darren Stevens became the first personality to be heard on air on 106.9 FM The BEAR CKQB-FM broadcasting live from Minglewoods bar in the Byward Market
- Cowboy Who? a bizarre all-ages kids show featured early TV appearances of The Real Darren Stevens as well as Samantha Bee from Comedy Central's The Daily Show. The first season is available now on DVD at Amazon.
- On February 21, 2004 Stevens created "The Monkey" a new format overnight show on CIQB-FM hosted by Choo Choo - a monkey! A parody of the various Jack/Bob radio formats at the time,The Monkey played music from the current playlist as well as novelty songs, parodies & comedy bits.
- During his tenure in Barrie, Stevens often used guest celebrity DJ's on CIQB-FM including Glass Tiger (Nov 6/04) and world figure skating champion Jennifer Robinson who made her radio-hosting debut (July 31 & Aug 7/04). On June 18, 2005 Stevens also hired Keith Hampshire to host a Saturday night 60's-70's oldies show on CHAY-FM.
Stevens was voted:
- Program Director Of The Year - Secondary Market at the 2001 Canadian Radio Music Industry Awards
- Program Director Of The Year - Secondary Market in the 2004 Canadian Music Network magazine awards
He has also been nominated for:
- PD & M.D Secondary Market at the 2006 CRMA’s.
- PD & M.D Secondary Market at the 2005 CRMA’s.
- PD, M.D, AC Station Of The Year & Station Of The Year - Secondary Mkt 2004 CRMA’s.
- PD, M.D & Station Of The Year - Secondary Market 2003 CRMA’s.
- PD & Station Of The Year - Secondary Market 2002 CRMA’s.
- Station Of The Year - Secondary Market 2001 CRMA’s.
- M.D & Station Of The Year- Secondary Market 2000 CRMA’s.
- M.D - Secondary Market 1999 CRMA’s