The Real Housewives of New Jersey
|The Real Housewives of
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||7|
|No. of episodes||118 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||41–43 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Sirens Media|
|Original release||May 12, 2009– present|
|Preceded by||The Real Housewives of Atlanta|
|Followed by||The Real Housewives of D.C.|
The Real Housewives of New Jersey (abbreviated RHONJ) is an American reality television series that premiered on May 12, 2009 on Bravo. Developed as the fourth installment of The Real Housewives franchise, following The Real Housewives of Orange County, New York City, and Atlanta, it has aired six seasons and focuses on the personal and professional lives of several women residing in New Jersey.
The series originally focused on Teresa Giudice, Jacqueline Laurita, Caroline Manzo, Dina Manzo, and Danielle Staub. The current lineup consists of Giudice, Laurita, Melissa Gorga, Dolores Catania, and Siggy Flicker. Of the original housewives, Dina Manzo stopped filming during production of the second season before returning for the sixth and departing again afterward; Staub left after the second season; Caroline Manzo left after the fifth; and Laurita was a friend of the housewives during the sixth. The remaining housewives joined in later seasons: Gorga in the third, and Catania and Flicker in the seventh. Past housewives include Kathy Wakile (season 3–5), Amber Marchese (season 6), Teresa Aprea (season 6), and Nicole Napolitano (season 6).
Overview and casting
The Real Housewives of New Jersey was first announced when Bravo released its 2008–09 programming on April 15, 2008. It was later announced that the series would debut on May 12, 2009, with Caroline Manzo, Jacqueline Laurita, Teresa Giudice, Dina Manzo, and Danielle Staub as the cast. For the first time in the franchise, the series followed housewives who are related to one another: sisters Caroline and Dina are married to brothers Albert and Tommy Manzo, and Jacqueline Laurita is married to Caroline and Dina's brother, Chris Laurita. Dina and Tommy Manzo would later end up separated.
With the first season averaging 2.55 million total viewers, Bravo announced the renewal of the second season on October 6, 2009. Season 2 premiered on May 3, 2010, with Dina Manzo departing the series after the seventh episode. Part 1 of the second season reunion garnered 3.9 million viewers, making it the highest-rated episode of the season — at the time — of its airing and the second highest rated episode of the franchise after the January 30, 2011, episode of The Real Housewives of Atlanta.
The third season renewal was announced on August 31, 2010. It was later revealed on September 7, 2010 that Danielle Staub would not be returning to the show. Season 3 premiered on May 16, 2011 as a 90-minute episode, as well as introduced new housewives Melissa Gorga and Kathy Wakile. The third season delivered the highest rated season premiere in the network's history and the highest rated season premiere in The Real Housewives franchise but was later surpassed by The Real Housewives of Atlanta. After season 3, The Real Housewives of New Jersey was the only The Real Housewives series within the franchise that featured a main cast who were all married, until The Real Housewives of Miami also met the criterion starting with its third season. Season 4 was announced on June 7, 2011, with the fourth season premiering on April 22, 2012. All of the Season 3 housewives returned in Season 4.
Bravo announced that Season 5 would premiere June 2, 2013, with same cast returning. Kim DePaola and Jennifer Dalton joined the fifth season as a "Friends of the Housewives". The fifth season reunion was filmed on September 4, 2013, and took 15 hours to complete.
On October 13, 2013, Caroline Manzo announced that she would not be returning for Season 6. Jacqueline Laurita also departed the series, In April 2014, Bravo announced that the sixth season would premiere in mid-2014. while Dina Manzo returned. On May 14, 2014, Bravo announced that The Real Housewives of New Jersey would return for its sixth season on July 13, 2014. It was confirmed that Dina Manzo would return, with new additions Amber Marchese and twins, Teresa Aprea and Nicole Napolitano joining as main housewives. Kathy Wakile was demoted to a recurring role and made numerous appearances during the season, as well as took part in a reunion show. Former housewife Laurita appeared in multiple episodes as well. On November 11, 2015, Marchese announced that she would be departing from the franchise.
In February 2016, the series was renewed for a seventh season, confirming the return of Giudice, Gorga, and Laurita. Dina Manzo announced that she would not be returning for the seventh season, due to her relocation to California. Dolores Catania and Siggy Flicker were confirmed as new cast members, with Wakile and Pierri appearing in a supporting capacity.
Timeline of housewives
|Current main housewives|
|Former main housewives|
|Friends of the housewives|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||10||May 12, 2009||July 9, 2009|
|2||18||May 3, 2010||September 6, 2010|
|3||21||May 16, 2011||October 23, 2011|
|4||24||April 22, 2012||October 21, 2012|
|5||22||June 2, 2013||October 20, 2013|
|6||19||July 13, 2014||November 20, 2014|
|7||TBA||July 10, 2016||TBA|
The series' success has resulted in a development of multiple spin-off series. Caroline Manzo, who was part of the original cast of the show, quit the series before its sixth season. Manzo later disclosed that she was involved in the production of a new show, Manzo'd with Children; the show was eventually picked up and premiered on October 5, 2014. The reality series follows the daily life of Manzo and her family: husband Albert, sons Albie and Chris, daughter Lauren, and sister Fran. The show was subsequently returned for a second season, which premiered on August 16, 2015. In April 2016, the series was renewed for a third season. The second spin-off, entitled Teresa Checks In, aired in October 2015. The three-episode television series chronicled the life of the Giudice family and how its members dealt with the aftermath of Teresa Giudice's being sentenced to prison. The series featured some of the cast members of The Real Housewives of New Jersey, including Melissa Gorga, Joe Gorga, and Rosie Pierri.
- "Bravo Increases Programming Hours by 45%, Unveils New Slate Including 12 Returning Franchises and Four New Series and Specials". The Futon Critic. April 15, 2008. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "A New Real Housewives Of New Jersey Cast Member Revealed!". Radar Online. September 2, 2010. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Fowler, Brandi (February 3, 2013). "Former Real Housewives of New Jersey Star Dina Manzo Splits from Husband". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Dina Manzo Separates From Husband: 34 Other 'Real Housewives' Who Have Divorced". The Huffington Post. February 4, 2013. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Bravo Announces Series Pickups for "The Real Housewives of D.C." and "The Real Housewives of New Jersey"". The Futon Critic. October 6, 2009. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Dina Manzo: Why I Left 'Real Housewives'". OK! Magazine. June 17, 2010. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Hibberd, James (November 30, 2010). "Bravo renews two 'Housewives,' reunion sets record". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (August 24, 2010). "Bravo's 'Real Housewives of New Jersey Finale Pulls In Season High 3.4 Million Viewers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (August 31, 2010). "'Real Housewives of New Jersey' Reunion Earns Highest-Rated Episode in 'Real Housewives' Franchise History". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Shahid, Aliyah (September 7, 2010). "Danielle Staub to leave 'Real Housewives of New Jersey,' Bravo announces". New York Daily News. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Real Housewives of New Jersey Returns – with New Ladies!". People. April 13, 2011. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Seidman, Robert (May 17, 2011). "'Real Housewives of New Jersey' Delivers Highest Rated Season Premiere with 1.9 Million Viewers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- Gorman, Bill (June 7, 2011). ""Real Housewives Of New Jersey" Renewed For Season 4, "The Real Housewives Of Orange County" Finale Delivers Highest Rated Episode Of The Series". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Bravo's "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" Heads to the Shore in Season Four Premiering April 22 at 10PM ET/PT". The Futon Critic. March 22, 2012. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (April 2, 2013). "Bravo Greenlights 17 New and 18 Returning Unscripted Series". TV by the Numbers (Press release). Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- "Bravo Renews Bevy Of 'Real Housewives' Shows, Sets 'New Jersey' Premiere Date". The Huffington Post. April 2, 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Takeda, Allison (April 3, 2013). "See The Real Housewives of New Jersey's Cast Picture From Season Five". Us Weekly. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Nsenduluka, Benge (December 27, 2012). "'Real Housewives' New Jersey Housewife Jennifer Dalton Joining Pal Teresa Giudice?". The Christian Post. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- Magett, Sonya (September 6, 2013). "The Real Housewives of New Jersey Season 5 Reunion Show: Teresa Giudice & Jacqueline Laurita Tweet Reactions After Taping". EnStars. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- "Andy Cohen — Twitter Status". Twitter. September 4, 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- "Caroline Manzo Leaving 'Real Housewives of New Jersey'". The Hollywood Reporter. October 14, 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Rouse, Wade (October 14, 2013). "Caroline Manzo Is Leaving Real Housewives of New Jersey". People Magazine. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- "Caroline Manzo leaving "The Real Housewives of New Jersey"". CBS News. October 14, 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Mullins, Jenna (September 26, 2013). "Caroline Manzo Leaving Real Housewives of New Jersey". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Nilles, Billy (October 23, 2013). "'Real Housewives of New Jersey': Dina Manzo demands Jacqueline Laurita's exit". Zap2it. Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 8, 2014). "Bravo Media Greenlights Most Diversified Slate Ever of New and Returning Unscripted and Scripted Series". TV by the Numbers (Press release). Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- Harnick, Chris (February 22, 2014). "The Real Housewives of New Jersey Season 6 Scoop: Fistfights, Major Drama and Sexy Times Ahead!". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Dina Manzo Returns! First Look at 'RHONJ' Season Six". The Dish. Bravo. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
May 14, 2014
- Bricker, Tierney; Sobol, Beth (May 14, 2014). "Real Housewives of New Jersey's Kathy Wakile Breaks Silence on No Longer Being a Housewife in Season 6". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved November 8, 2014.
- "The Real Housewives of New Jersey Season 6 Ep 16: Reunion Part 1". Bravo. NBCUniversal. November 2, 2014. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- Harnick, Chris (September 3, 2014). "Teresa Giudice's Legal Drama Takes Center Stage in RHONJ's Midseason Trailer—Plus, What Brings Jacqueline Back?". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved November 8, 2014.
- "Amber Marchese Exits The Real Housewives of New Jersey". People.com. November 10, 2015. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- Petski, Denise (February 8, 2016). "'Real Housewives Of New Jersey' Renewed; Teresa Giudice, Melissa Gorga & Jacqueline Laurita To Return\". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 8, 2016.
- Falzone, Diana (May 9, 2016). "Dina Manzo will not return to 'Real Housewives of NJ'". FOX News. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- Hendricks, Jaclyn (May 24, 2016). "Teresa Giudice slings insults in 'Real Housewives' return". New York Post. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- Johnson, Zach (October 15, 2013). "Caroline Manzo Reveals Why She Quit Real Housewives of New Jersey". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Rouse, Wade (October 14, 2013). "Caroline Manzo Is Leaving Real Housewives of New Jersey". People. Time Inc. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (August 21, 2014). "'Manzo'd With Children' to Premiere Sunday, October 5 on Bravo" (Press release). Zap2it. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Manzo'd with Children Season 1: Cast & Info". Bravo Media. NBCUniversal. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Hendricks, Jaclyn (August 14, 2015). "Get ready to be 'Manzo'd' — again". New York Post. News Corp. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- Ge, Linda (April 27, 2016). "'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills,' 'Vanderpump Rules' Among Bravo Renewals". The Wrap. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- Beard, Lanford (October 16, 2015). "Teresa Giudice Wanted to Hide News of Her Prison Shakedown from Daughter Gia". People. Time Inc. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- Upmalis, Jordan (September 14, 2015). "See How the Giudice Family is Coping Since Teresa's Departure". The Daily Dish. Bravo Media. Retrieved October 18, 2015.
- "Bravo Media Presents "The Real Housewives of New Jersey Teresa Checks In" A Three-Part Special Premiering Sunday, October 11 at 8PM ET/PT". The Futon Critic (Press release). Futon Media. September 14, 2015. Retrieved October 18, 2015.