The Real News
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Real News|
(founded by Paul Jay)
|Slogan||"The future depends on knowing"|
|Country||United States and Canada (main, also studios in other countries)|
|Broadcast area||Global (World Wide Web)|
|Headquarters||Baltimore, MD and Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
The Real News (TRNN) is a nonprofit, viewer-supported daily video-news and documentary service. TRNN launched in 2007 by Paul Jay, who serves as the network's CEO and senior editor. TRNN describes itself as a news source "focused on providing independent and uncompromising journalism." 
The Real News Network uses internet broadcasting, but it has contracts with satellite and cable television channels which it intends to use for broadcast once it reaches its sustainability goal. It is available on Roku. The Real News has offices in Baltimore and Toronto.
The stated goal of The Real News is to provide independent, uncompromising, verifiable worldwide coverage of the critical issues of our times. The Real News provides forums where its work can be debated and criticized, purportedly in order to bring awareness of its potential biases and how such biases may affect the network's coverage.
The Real News does not accept funding from advertising, governments, or corporations. Though the organization initially intended to sustain itself exclusively on viewer donations after its first three years of broadcast, it has not yet reached its sustainability goal. TRNN is therefore partially reliant upon grant money for its operating funds.
The Real News features experienced professional journalists from across the globe.
Analysts and Journalists
- CEO and Senior Editor: Paul Jay
- Journalist and Executive Producer: Sharmini Peries
- Newsroom: Jessica Desvarieux, Jaisal Noor, Anton Woronczuk, Kayla Rivara, Dharna Noor, Denise Rivera, Lynn Fries
The Real News interviews economists, politicians, and policy experts about breaking news. Regular programs include "Reality Asserts Itself," multi-segment interviews on critical issues, and "Rattling the Bars" with host and former Black Panther Eddie Conway. Regular contributors include Lawrence Wilkerson, former Chief of Staff to Colin Powell; and Michael Ratner, attorney to Julian Assange.
William K. Black, Max Blumenthal, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Noam Chomsky, Chuck D, Phil Donahue, Daniel Ellsberg, Yves Engler, Heiner Flassbeck, Danny Glover, Chris Hedges, Doug Henwood, Michael Hudson, Naomi Klein, Dennis Kucinich, Deepa Kumar, Norman Lear, Ray McGovern, Ralph Nader, Rand Paul, Ron Paul, Bernie Sanders, Yves Smith, Helen Thomas, Gore Vidal, Marcy Wheeler, Lawrence Wilkerson, Richard D. Wolff, Sheldon Wolin, and Howard Zinn are among the notable guests who have appeared on The Real News.
- American News Project
- Alternative media
- Citizen journalism
- Corporate media
- Independent media
- Watchdog journalism
- "Our Mission". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- Paul Jay "Reality Asserts Itself", November 3, 2008
- "The Real News". Roku. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "Contact Us". The Real News. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "Interview with Paul Jay". Daily Kos. 2007-01-06. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "Real News Network plants roots-and tackles the 'media desert'- in Baltimore". City Paper. 2014-05-28. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "News without the sponsors". The Age. 2007-08-16. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "PERI: PERI Multimedia". peri.umass.edu. Retrieved 2014-09-13.