The Recipe (film)
|Directed by||Anna Lee|
|Produced by||Kim Jin-young|
|Written by||Anna Lee
|Music by||Han Jae-gwon|
|Edited by||Kim Sang-bum
Film It Suda
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
The Recipe (Hangul: 된장; RR: Doenjang; literally "Soybean paste") is a 2010 South Korean film about a television producer who finds out many surprising truths while tracking down the story about a mysterious bean paste stew. Behind the captivating taste lies a woman’s unfortunate life and love story.
When a notorious murderer on death row requests Jang’s soup as his last meal, television producer Choi Yoo-jin (Ryu Seung-ryong) starts looking for Jang and the recipe. But Choi is not the only one looking for Jang.
Kim Hyun-soo (Lee Dong-wook), Jang’s old flame, decides to return to his hometown to look for his first love. At the same time, three people die after eating Jang’s soup. What is the secret behind the soup and how many more people will have to die for it?
Twelve years after her last film Rub Love, director Anna Lee wonderfully mixes two different genres - the thriller and the love story. The English title "The Recipe" contains a lot of meaning: a record of a person’s life, a memory of taste, an experience of loss and a chronicle of hurts. In this sense, the film is a recipe for everything. With his original touch, Lee illustrates the obsession with unforgettable memories of love and a fatalistic point of view. The soybean soup recipe contains pain, longing and salvation. In a sense, the recipe is the very history of Korea’s memory and tradition.
- Ryu Seung-ryong ... Choi Yoo-jin
- Lee Yo-won ... Jang Hye-jin
- Lee Dong-wook ... Kim Hyun-soo
- Jo Sung-ha ... Park Min / Park Gu
- Lee Yong-nyeo ... Han Myung-suk (owner of mountainside restaurant)
- Kim Jung-suk ... Detective Kang
- Nam Jeong-hee ... grandmother
- Yu Seung-mok ... Kim Deuk-gu
- Kim Se-dong ... blind man
- Park Hye-jin ... owner of Soondae Soup restaurant
- Yoo Soon-woong ...salt farm owner
- Lee Sang-hee ... owner of small store in the countryside
- "Dwenjang (Doenjang) (2010)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- "Theatrical Releases in 2010: Box-Office Admission Results" Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- "2010.10.22 NOW PLAYING". Korea JoongAng Daily. 22 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-04.
- Lee, Sang-yong. "The Recipe". BIFF.kr. Retrieved 2012-05-16.