A screenshot from 2 August 2012
|Slogan||Biting the hand that feeds IT|
Type of site
|Created by||Mike Magee
|4,814 (March 2016[update])|
The Register is a British technology news and opinion website co-founded in 1994 by Mike Magee, John Lettice and Ross Alderson. Situation Publishing Ltd is listed as the site's publisher. Drew Culllen is an owner, Linus Birtles the managing director and Andrew Orlowski is the Executive Editor.
The Register was founded in London as an email newsletter called Chip Connection. In 1998 The Register became a daily online news source. Magee left in 2001 to start competing publications The Inquirer, and later the IT Examiner and TechEye.
In 2002, The Register expanded to have a presence in London and San Francisco, creating The Register USA at theregus.com through a joint venture with Tom's Hardware. In 2003, that site moved to theregister.com. That content was later merged onto theregister.co.uk. The Register carries syndicated content including Simon Travaglia's BOFH stories.
Editorial staffers include Andrew Orlowski, Paul Kunert, Gavin Clarke, Joe Fay, Chris Williams (San Francisco bureau) and Simon Sharwood (Sydney office). Jude Karabus is head of production.
Readership and content
In 2011 it was read daily by over 350,000 users according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations., rising to 468,000 daily and nearly 9.5 million monthly in 2013. In November 2011 the UK and US each accounted for approximately 42% and 34% of page impressions respectively, with Canada being the next most significant origin of page hits at 3%. In 2012 the UK and US accounted for approximately 41% and 28% of page impressions respectively, with Canada at 3.61%.
In October 2013, Alexa reported that the site ranked #3,140 in the world for its web traffic, up approximately 1,516 slots over the previous 3 months. It was #2,343 in the USA.
In April 2015, following a redesign of the website, Alexa reported that the site ranking dropped to #3,430 in the world, and traffic had dropped by over 6%.
As of 11 April 2016, Alexa gives a global ranking for the site of #4,750.
Channel Register covers computer business and trade news, which includes business press releases. News and articles for computer hardware and consumer electronics is covered by Reg Hardware. Reg Research is an in-depth resource on technologies and how they relate to business.
- "Theregister.co.uk Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Grossman, Wendy M. (2006-06-02). "How online journalism got its UK start". Press Gazette. Wilmington Media Ltd.
- Walsh, Bob (2007). Clear Blogging: How People Blogging Are Changing the World and How You Can Join Them. Apress, ISBN 9781590596913
- Cullen, Drew (25 February 2002). The Register Comes to the US. The Register
- Cullen, Drew (24 February 2003). theregister.com goes live. The Register
- Adams, Andrew A., McCrindle, Rachel (2008). Pandora's Box: Social and Professional Issues of the Information Age. John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 9780470065532
- "Paper plane launched into space captures Earth images". BBC News. 11 November 2010. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "The Register" (PDF), www.abc.org.uk, Audit Bureau of Circulations Limited, retrieved 19 January 2012
- "The Register" (PDF), www.abc.org.uk, Audit Bureau of Circulations Limited, retrieved 1 October 2013